Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica - Death Magnetic.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

Sound quality is not great, but overall - I quite like this ...

Anyone who says this is NOT an improvement over St Anger needs their hearing checked or should go back to listening to Girls Aloud.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

ven0m wrote: »
    Sound quality is not great, but overall - I quite like this ...

Anyone who says this is NOT an improvement over St Anger needs their hearing checked or should go back to listening to Girls Aloud.

The quality is too poor to say whether or not it is an improvement on St W****r??? I think I'll wait for the album version. The "suicide, I've already died" bit almost made me puke. Terrible:(

The quality is too poor to say whether or not it is an improvement on St W****r??? I think I'll wait for the album version. The "suicide, I've already died" bit almost made me puke. Terrible:(

as opposed to 'Exit Light, Enter night' ????

or

'Death of mother earth, never our rebirth' ????

or how about

"You know our fans are insane
    We are gonna blow this place away
    with volume higher
    Than anything today the only way
    When we start to rock
    We never want to stop again "

I mean, come on ....... :rolleyes:

St Anger sounds horrid, the tracks sounded horrendous live (the fact Metallica never play ANYTHING off it live & stopped playing the tracks from it very quickly tells you everything).

I will like everyone reserve judgement, but I like the feel of the song ...... as someone who writes music & plays guitar/bass/insert-a-n-other instruments there, it grooves better.

as opposed to 'Exit Light, Enter night' ????

or

'Death of mother earth, never our rebirth' ????

or how about

"You know our fans are insane
    We are gonna blow this place away
    with volume higher
    Than anything today the only way
    When we start to rock
    We never want to stop again "

I mean, come on ....... :rolleyes:

St Anger sounds horrid, the tracks sounded horrendous live (the fact Metallica never play ANYTHING off it live & stopped playing the tracks from it very quickly tells you everything).

I will like everyone reserve judgement, but I like the feel of the song ...... as someone who writes music & plays guitar/bass/insert-a-n-other instruments there, it grooves better.

My point was, that I thought that Hetfield would've come up with better lyrics than that!? I thought the St W****r type lyrics would've been left behind.....?

You ask people to reserve judgement, but then proceed to tell us what you think of the song.....? :rolleyes:

And the lyrics that you quoted kinda proved my point for me. Thank you very much.

My point was, that I thought that Hetfield would've come up with better lyrics than that!? I thought the St W****r type lyrics would've been left behind.....?

You ask people to reserve judgement, but then proceed to tell us what you think of the song.....? :rolleyes:

And the lyrics that you quoted kinda proved my point for me. Thank you very much.

I didn't exactly make a judgement now, so don't getting ahead of yourself there ......

The last set of Lyrics I pointed out were from 'Hit The Lights'. The middle ones from 'Blackened'. And all the lyrics quoted are fairly ridiculous. This longheld belief of Hetfield being an epic lyricist, is a fan-made myth by self absorbed ridiculous fanboy-ism of self-styled hardcore Metallica fans. James Hetfield is not an epic song writer. He never was. He never will be.

James Hetfield writes for himself, not the Metallica fans. The fact he gets paid off it is a nice bonus, as it beats the hell out of an office job, which I'm sure everyone would agree with. Even me saying some of those lyrics are ridiculous is in itself 'retarded', cos I'm pretty sure James didn't sit there going '"here's the 5 year old kid running around right now in Ireland, & I'm not sure if he's gonna like these lyrics!"

Metallica are not a 'cater-to-market' or 'manufactured band'. I think we've had so any acts like this for so long, people actually forget what a band is, how music gets released & broken, & tales of people sleeping in cars with their gear while gigging incessantly to get discovered are now things of rock music lore, & best heard/read now in books by rock music artists now well into their 40's.

I gave an opinion - I've heard the same clip the rest of you have. In saying that, the track on the released CD might sound better or worse. Ask me again on September 12th, I could quite easily say I really disliked/liked the album, and or some tracks on it, the same as everyone else. And even then, it may change over subsequent listens, or hen I sit down & work out some of the material, which may make me go 'that was rather clever', pity the song blows & so on & so forth.

• Advertisement

I didn't exactly make a judgement now, so don't getting ahead of yourself there ......

The last set of Lyrics I pointed out were from 'Hit The Lights'. The middle ones from 'Blackened'. And all the lyrics quoted are fairly ridiculous. This longheld belief of Hetfield being an epic lyricist, is a fan-made myth by self absorbed ridiculous fanboy-ism of self-styled hardcore Metallica fans. James Hetfield is not an epic song writer. He never was. He never will be.

James Hetfield writes for himself, not the Metallica fans. The fact he gets paid off it is a nice bonus, as it beats the hell out of an office job, which I'm sure everyone would agree with. Even me saying some of those lyrics are ridiculous is in itself 'retarded', cos I'm pretty sure James didn't sit there going '"here's the 5 year old kid running around right now in Ireland, & I'm not sure if he's gonna like these lyrics!"

Metallica are not a 'cater-to-market' or 'manufactured band'. I think we've had so any acts like this for so long, people actually forget what a band is, how music gets released & broken, & tales of people sleeping in cars with their gear while gigging incessantly to get discovered are now things of rock music lore, & best heard/read now in books by rock music artists now well into their 40's.

I gave an opinion - I've heard the same clip the rest of you have. In saying that, the track on the released CD might sound better or worse. Ask me again on September 12th, I could quite easily say I really disliked/liked the album, and or some tracks on it, the same as everyone else. And even then, it may change over subsequent listens, or hen I sit down & work out some of the material, which may make me go 'that was rather clever', pity the song blows & so on & so forth.

ALL artistes write for themselves primarily. I completely agree with you there. It's all about personal opinion, though. And I think Hetfield is a brilliant songwriter. And before you say it, this is NOT a sudden attack of fanboyism.

ALL artistes write for themselves primarily. I completely agree with you there. It's all about personal opinion, though. And I think Hetfield is a brilliant songwriter. And before you say it, this is NOT a sudden attack of fanboyism.

One thing I can say about you from your posts, you do NOT come across a a Fanboy ...... unlike some posts I've seen on Blabbermouth etc etc ....... good jeebus!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Its very difficult to form an opinion on a new song from a youtube clip. I'll reserve judgement till the album is released.

As for Metallica lyrics, Hetfield is no shakespeare. Best lyrics are on MOP, AJFA and RTL. Kill em' All is very Spinal Tap, Black album is, eh, not sure what thats about. The latter stuff is very self indulgent.

Then again, I dont listen to metallica cos their lyrics are world changing.

Oh and ven0m, nothing wrong with Blackened lyrics!

faceman wrote: »
    Its very difficult to form an opinion on a new song from a youtube clip. I'll reserve judgement till the album is released.

One thing that just dawned on me, & it's only when I think about stuff like this - isn't the true measure of how well the material is going to be received 'how' it is going to sound/be played live.

I remember before Load got released & Metallica played 2x4 live at Donnington, & my first instinct was 'jesus that's cool', & that came off a dodgy bootleg tape, because we didn't have a YouTube back then ........ or an interwebz with video content & downloading mp3's back then was the preserve of the IRC junkies & it took a day or more to download an album.

faceman wrote: »

As for Metallica lyrics, Hetfield is no shakespeare. Best lyrics are on MOP, AJFA and RTL. Kill em' All is very Spinal Tap, Black album is, eh, not sure what thats about. The latter stuff is very self indulgent.

Then again, I dont listen to metallica cos their lyrics are world changing.

Oh and ven0m, nothing wrong with Blackened lyrics!

The latter lyrics probably come across as self-indulgent due to Hetfield going through A LOT of personal stuff back then. Some of the stuff is very dark, but some of my favourite 'Tallica songs come from that period.

As for St Anger.........:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

The latter lyrics probably come across as self-indulgent due to Hetfield going through A LOT of personal stuff back then. Some of the stuff is very dark, but some of my favourite 'Tallica songs come from that period.

As for St Anger.........:rolleyes:

Watching the documentary 'Some Kind Of Monster' & how lyrics were "crafted", it was totally inorganic, forced & un-natural. No-one sits down & puts songs together like that & lives to have a career beyond 5 minutes long. Songs crafted like that often belong to novelty bubblegum acts like 'The Cheeky Girls' ..... and their career is at best attached to a politician's arm at this stage.

I mean, I know Vince Neil & Motley Crue were hardly ground breaking with 'Girls Girls Girls', but hey - they were living that lifestyle.

What I also find funnier the older I get is, Guns N Roses to me as a child when 'Appetite' came out, they were wild, dangerous & exciting. They freaked parents out. Even now by todays standards, GnR's music from back then is about as dangerous as Spongebob, 'Welcome to The Jungle' gets played at Leinster Rugby games at home LOL

I think how you perceive lyrics changes as you get older, especially from the context in which you first heard them, & your own perceptions of that band/music against the context of how you perceived the world at that time, which then as I've found - well, maybe this is just me - but how I am as an older person, the music still retains the same sonic value, the lyrics become less of a 'X is God' kinda deal.

Watching the documentary 'Some Kind Of Monster' & how lyrics were "crafted", it was totally inorganic, forced & un-natural. No-one sits down & puts songs together like that & lives to have a career beyond 5 minutes long. Songs crafted like that often belong to novelty bubblegum acts like 'The Cheeky Girls' ..... and their career is at best attached to a politician's arm at this stage.

I mean, I know Vince Neil & Motley Crue were hardly ground breaking with 'Girls Girls Girls', but hey - they were living that lifestyle.

What I also find funnier the older I get is, Guns N Roses to me as a child when 'Appetite' came out, they were wild, dangerous & exciting. They freaked parents out. Even now by todays standards, GnR's music from back then is about as dangerous as Spongebob, 'Welcome to The Jungle' gets played at Leinster Rugby games at home LOL

I think how you perceive lyrics changes as you get older, especially from the context in which you first heard them, & your own perceptions of that band/music against the context of how you perceived the world at that time, which then as I've found - well, maybe this is just me - but how I am as an older person, the music still retains the same sonic value, the lyrics become less of a 'X is God' kinda deal.

Same here. I don't view JH/Metallica as "gods" like I did when i was younger. I just happen to like their music, and some of James' lyrics I can identify with.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Alot of people are saying its disjointed and doesnt fit blah blah etc but tbh the song sounds like something they would have produced after AJFA (if they hadnt of hired Bob Rock) that album was the exact same some many riffs not exactly fitting with the song but brilliant nonetheless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭pyure

The youtube link is unlistenable muck, downloaded a better quality version today and I gotta say it's pretty damn good.

Most complaints are that the song doesn't fit together very well, it'd say that that's more a live performance issue. I'd expect the studio version to have a much tighter sound and to fit together perfectly.
    Personally I though the vocals were pretty good, bass is excellent, drums are quite annoying at points, guitar riffs are really good while the solo is a little dissappointing.

Actually the more I hear it the more it rocks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

this interview pretty much says what venom was saying about who they make music for a and why:http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1592244/20080806/metallica.jhtml

as for the new tune!! i'll wait til i hear it properly on the album. it's the first time they've played it live so it's bound to be a bit rusty despite rehearsals. in saying that it sounds very promising and i quite like the "suicide........i've already died" chorus. it's only one track and already people are making a call on the new album based on it.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 igniteman

I think were in for a treat. Its kinda old school Metallica

lord lucan wrote: »
    this interview pretty much says what venom was saying about who they make music for a and why:http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1592244/20080806/metallica.jhtml

as for the new tune!! i'll wait til i hear it properly on the album. it's the first time they've played it live so it's bound to be a bit rusty despite rehearsals. in saying that it sounds very promising and i quite like the "suicide........i've already died" chorus. it's only one track and already people are making a call on the new album based on it.:rolleyes:

LMAO ... thats a kick ass interview LOL

I managed to get a very high quality recording of the track last night without the flanger effect on it, & musically after sitting down with my trusty Les Paul in figuring out how to play it, it does have some fairly interesting musical points in it.

Kirk's solo though ...... not sure how he feels his playing is Angus Young-like, it's far from it on that solo .... solo seems very messy, even running back through it now......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Isn't it a very handy excuse if the album turns out like crap just like stanger: "Well nobody was meant to like it except us" :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Just after watching the Mission Metallica video where they're filming the single video in the desert and tbh, I'm getting quite excited about this album. There should be a sounddesk version of Cyanide before the weekend so we'll be able to asses it then.

Isn't it a very handy excuse if the album turns out like crap just like stanger: "Well nobody was meant to like it except us" :rolleyes:

The issue over St Anger has been addressed by Hetfield, Ulrich & hammett in countless interviews. The band don't like the album, & put it down to them getting a ton of crap out & off their chests.

However, strangely - there are people who do like it. I'm fond of one or two tracks on the album personally, but it took a long long long time for them to grow on me. The rest of it, pretty much bin-able.

Most music artists release material for themselves, not their fans - unless of course, you're Girls Aloud, Madonna, Take That etc..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

The issue over St Anger has been addressed by Hetfield, Ulrich & hammett in countless interviews. The band don't like the album, & put it down to them getting a ton of crap out & off their chests.

However, strangely - there are people who do like it. I'm fond of one or two tracks on the album personally, but it took a long long long time for them to grow on me. The rest of it, pretty much bin-able.

Most music artists release material for themselves, not their fans - unless of course, you're Girls Aloud, Madonna, Take That etc..

good call.:cool:

and it's not like they're short of a few quid,they could've just as easy packed it in and retire to the sun while their back catalogue keeps the royalties rolling in. they feel they have a point to prove with this one but it's commercial success or lack of it won't be the deciding factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Cyanide
    The Unforgiven III*
    The Judas Kiss

*That doesnt look good....

efla wrote: »
    Cyanide
    The Unforgiven III*
    The Judas Kiss

*That doesnt look good....

it was good the first time.

And, the second time.

Third time - who knows. But I'll bet most people said the exact same thing then Unforgiven II appeared. I love that track even more than the original, because it's musically, sonically & texturally so interesting (jesus, I've gone all Kirk Hammet .... what's next, describing my sound as 'creamy' ..... seriously Kirk, did the change to Randal Amps not tell you that your sound was going to become harsher with high output EMG pickups???)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Agreed - with respect to the song only. Seeing a title like that makes you wonder if this album will be 'in the spirit' of reload.

Not that my opinion counts for anything, but I found something to like on every album except reload (fuel was not enough to carry it), and it sounded every inch the 'cutting room floor' ensemble it was. I dont like the sound of the new record either from what is doing the rounds

efla wrote: »
    Not that my opinion counts for anything

this is not true. This is Boards.ie, & teh interwebz, everyone's opinion counts, just the lack of people who respect said opinions & flame & yell stuff like GTFO, n00b or STFU ....... but this is the rock forum, all our opinions are gloriously engrained now in the electrons that makes up teh interwebz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 noloveinfear21

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Beekay wrote: »
    Mleh...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Beekay wrote: »

Excellent!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

Interesting... very interesting. Solo was good, generaly it sounds good, be interested in hearin the studio version

Advertisement