Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun humour. Settling the AK/AR/Mosin argument.

Options
  • 15-06-2008 12:41am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭

From Mouseguns.com. Three of the most popular civilian owned rifles in the US are the AK-47 series, AR-15 series, and the Mosin-Nagant series.

Stuff you know if you have an...

AK. It works though you have never cleaned it. Ever.
    AR You have $9 per ounce special non-detergent synthetic teflon infused oil for cleaning.
    Mosin Nagant It was last cleaned in Berlin in 1945

AK You are able to hit the broad side of a barn from inside.
    AR You are able to hit the broad side of a barn from 600m.
    MN You can hit the farm from two counties over.

AK Cheap mags are fun to buy.
    AR Cheap mags melt.
    MN What's a mag?

AK Your safety can be heard 300m away.
    AR You can silently flip off the safety with your finger on the trigger.
    MN What's a safety?

AK Your rifle comes with a cheap nylon sling.
    AR Your rifle has a 9 point stealth tactical suspension system.
    MN Your rifle has dog collars.

AK Your bayonet makes a good wire cutter.
    AR Your bayonet is actually a pretty good steak knife.
    MN Your bayonet is longer than your leg.

AK You can put a .30" hole through 12" of oak, if you can hit it.
    AR You can put one hole in a paper target at 100m with 30 rounds.
    MN You can knock down everyone else's target just from the shock wave of your bullet going downrange.

AK When out of ammo, your rifle will nominally pass as a club.
    AR When out of ammo, your rifle makes a great whiffle bat.
    MN When out of ammo, your rifle makes a supreme war club, pike, boat oar, tent pole, or firewood.

AK Recoil is manageable, even fun.
    AR What's recoil?
    MN Recoil often used to relocate shoulders thrown out by the previous shot.

AK Your sight adjustment goes to '10', and you've never bothered moving it.
    AR Your sight adjustment is incremented in fractions of minute of angle.
    MN Your sight adjustment goes to 12 miles and you've actually tried it.

AK Your rifle can be used by any two bit nation's most illiterate conscripts to fight elite forces worldwide.
    AR Your rifle is used by elite forces worldwide to fight two bit nations most illiterate conscripts.
    MN Your rifle has fought against itself and won every time.

AK Your rifle won some revolutions.
    AR Your rifle won the cold war.
    MN Your rifle won a pole vault event.

AK You paid $350.
    AR You paid $900.
    MN You paid $59.95.

AK You buy cheap ammo by the case.
    AR You lovingly reload precision crafted rounds one by one.
    MN You dig your ammo out of a farmer's field in Ukraine and it works just fine.

AK You can intimidate your foe with the bayonet mounted.
    AR Your foes laugh when you mount your bayonet.
    MN You can bayonet your foe on the other side of the river without leaving the comfort of your hole.

AK Service life, 50 years.
    AR Service life, 40 years.
    MN Service Life, 100 years.

AK Its easier to buy a new rifle when you want to change cartridge sizes.
    AR You can change cartridge sizes with the push of a couple of pins and a new upper.
    MN You believe no real man would dare risk the ridicule of his friends by suggesting there is anything but 7.62x54r.

AK You can repair your rifle with a big hammer and a swift kick.
    AR You can repair your rifle by taking it to a certified gunsmith, it's under warranty!
    MN If your rifle breaks, you buy a new one.

AK You consider it a badge of honor when you get your handguards to burst into flames.
    AR You consider it a badge of honor when you shoot a sub-MOA 5 shot group.
    MN You consider it a badge of honor when you cycle 5 rounds without the aid of a 2x4.

AK After a long day at the range you relax by watching "Red Dawn."
    AR After a long day at the range you relax by watching "Blackhawk Down."
    MN After a long day at the range you relax by visiting the chiropractor. THEN you watch "Enemy at the Gates."

AK After cleaning your rifle you have a strong urge for a stiff shot of Vodka.
    AR After cleaning your rifle you have a strong urge for hotdogs and Apple Pie. MN After cleaning your rifle you have a strong urge for shishkabob.

AK You can accessorize your rifle with a new muzzle brake or a nice stock set.
    AR Your rifle's accessories are eight times more valuable than your rifle.
    MN Your rifle's accessory is a small tin can with a funny lid, but its buried under an apartment building somewhere in Budapest.

AK Your rifle's finish is varnish and paint.
    AR Your rifle's finish is Teflon and high tech polymers.
    MN Your rifle's finish is low grade shellac, cosmoline and Olga's toe nails.

AK Your wife tolerates your autographed, framed picture of Mikhail Kalashnikov.
    AR Your wife tolerates your autographed, framed picture of Eugene Stoner. MN You're not sure there WERE cameras to photograph Sergei Mosin.

AK Late at night you sometimes have to fight the urge to hold your rifle over your head and shout "Wolverines!"
    AR Late at night you sometimes have to fight the urge to clear your house, slicing the pie from room to room.
    MN Late at night, you sometimes have to fight the urge to dig a fighting trench in the yard to sleep in.

So there you have it.

NTM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

There were several good laughs there. I wouldn't have thought the Mosin Nagant was so popular stateside though. Now I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Or you can give your Moisin to a gunsmith in Finland and he sends you back something you won't recognise....Ivan found out the hard way.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Or you just buy a SIG 550 and have the best of all three rifles.:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Hehe.. I was in the states a couple of years ago and shot the AK (semi) and the AR15.. had great fun with both of them.

Then was given the rifle from Enemy at the Gates to shoot - am still looking for pieces of my shoulder!!

Anyone ever fire a Mauser 98 ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

AK You paid $350.
    AR You paid $900.
    MN You paid $59.95.

Irritatingly true.
    €400 by the time it gets here, if you can persuade someone to do the paperwork for a few dollars worth of profit :(.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

You're joking. Mosins are running at E400? I should set up an export business. How about K98s or SMLEs?

Yep. Well, a Yugoslav build of one, anyway. All those WWII bolt-actions seem to be the same to me, except the SMLE, which is much smoother.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

hows about this .577? :eek: whats this yoke used for? is the kick that bad really?? anybody here ever fired one?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=insscDacZKE

incidentally, check out the last guy at 2:27..... a man not phased at all! cool dude!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

You're joking. Mosins are running at E400? I should set up an export business. How about K98s or SMLEs?

Yep. Well, a Yugoslav build of one, anyway. All those WWII bolt-actions seem to be the same to me, except the SMLE, which is much smoother.

NTM

If I remember correctly a shop in kerry were advertising one in the Irish Shooters Digest for €600. Mad or what?

NTM

The price disparity for surplus between here and the states is even worse than that for the new kit.

If you had enough souls interested and were willing to bother with the paperwork, which I hear is horrible, I'd say you could make a tidy profit on a bulk shipment.
    FF marked enfields go for a mint.

• Advertisement

kowloon wrote: »
    The price disparity for surplus between here and the states is even worse than that for the new kit.

If you had enough souls interested and were willing to bother with the paperwork, which I hear is horrible, I'd say you could make a tidy profit on a bulk shipment.
    FF marked enfields go for a mint.

Paperwork isnt that bad compared to dealing within the EU. you dont ave all the EU forms for one.You would just need a gun dealer who would be willing to take on the shipment over here.And there are a couple of FFL dealers in the US who have international clearence to ship to individuals or dealers over here.Plus with the Dollar/EU,they would be pretty cheap now as well. If a dealer wont do a bulk order ,find one who has one for sale,and apply for it over here in the normal manner.Clare Gunner did an exellent article on the import procedures from the USA here last year.

now if anyone has a FF Enfield for sale or knows where there is one for sale.I am in the market for one.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

dresden8 wrote: »
    If I remember correctly a shop in kerry were advertising one in the Irish Shooters Digest for €600. Mad or what?

It had better have been autographed by Stalin himself.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

I used to own a k98, that had been rebarrelled by the Israelis to 7.62, they also removed all swastikas.
    Found the kick off the 7.9mm pretty hard going.

I was just asking because I handled one years ago that used to belong to a friend of my dads, never got to fire it though. As far as I can remeber it was in it's original 8x57 version. It must have been Turkish or Iranian or something the likes of that because where you expected imperial eagles or swastikas it had some sort of a crescent moon stamped on it. I remember it as a very nice handling rifle.. .

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    now if anyone has a FF Enfield for sale or knows where there is one for sale.I am in the market for one.

I was in there first! :pac:

NTM

Would that be a Zastava built one ? Those boys used to make or probably still do good hunting rifles. The cars they made weren't all that great, you wouldn't have seen Tito in one I'd say..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dbar

There was a classic rifle shoot in Kerry last Sunday.Best day I had since... cant remember.
    Line up included:
    Swedish Mauser,
    K98,
    Mosin Nagant,
    Mosin Nagant carbine.

You basically got to shoot all of them if you got yourself organised.

I shot the Swede and the Mosin rifle. I liked them both, (well, the swede is mine!) The carbine was beside me, I could feel the compression wave on my face, even though I was well behind the muzzle. The Mosin leaves you in no doubt that you are firing a real gun, its not for the meek of shoulder!

Well the Swede Mausers are considerd under the Mauser folks as the Cadilliac of them . Anyone ever fired the Swede Lungjmann?It is a semi auto in 6.5,and has the same length of the Swede Mauser.That is one fine piece!!

Husqvarna made some as well unless I'm completely mistaken.

dbar wrote: »
    The Mosin leaves you in no doubt that you are firing a real gun, its not for the meek of shoulder!

Whats the recoil like when compared to say a run off the mill shotty with clay shot?

• Advertisement

Husqvarna made some as well unless I'm completely mistaken.

They did indeed,and very good ones they were too.

Recoil compared to a shotgun.I have had bad bruising from shotguns,because the stock didnt fit me and none [somtimes] whatsoever from a 416 Rigby or old K98 Mausers in original config or modified to sporters.I put it down to simply the stock must fit you somwhat properly to absorb the recoil. Military rifles are made with a "one size fits all" mentality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dbar

Also,
    When in the Prone position, the stock doesnt fit snugly into the shoulder, it has a tendency to slide off, so you are not getting full contact into the shoulder either.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I heard a .270 would be comparable to a 12ga and typical hunting loads (36 gram and the like) and it's a hard kicking rifle. Would that be accurate?

Advertisement