Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TomTom country roads Ireland

Options
  • 15-06-2008 12:45am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Is it just my unit or has anyone else any problems with TomTom maps on country roads around Ireland. Its usually that the road is off by 30-50 m to the left or right . It has benn the same before & after the latest map update for Europe.
    Any one any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The consensus in the threads on this forum is that Garmin (Navteq) maps are better for rural Ireland than Tom Tom (Tele Atlas) maps.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

I have updated to the latest maps and find that the problem is not that the roads are not there ,but their position is off by 20 meters

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

if you have the previous European maps including Ireland that were available they were Navteq (the standalone UK / Irl ones were Teleatlas) The new ones are Teleatlas which are generally rubbish for rural areas - I'm still using the Navteq ones don't see the point in upgrading (if you can call it that!) as most of my driving is rural.
    Only problem is you can't upgrade the Navteq maps anymore because Tom Tom bought Teleatlas so my next Sat Nav will be a Garmin!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

sharkman wrote: »
    I have updated to the latest maps and find that the problem is not that the roads are not there ,but their position is off by 20 meters

Thats exactly whats happening. Has TomTom said anything on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭mossie

koolkid wrote: »
    Thats exactly whats happening. Has TomTom said anything on it?

I have reported this, and other problems to TomTom such as the fact that almost every road in rural areas is "unnamed road". The answer always is "our maps are 99% accurate" and "if you find an error use the mapshare feature to report". They do not seem to want to know about the fact the maps are cr*p in rural Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

I cant see any improvement in either Tomtom's or Gamin's mapping for Ireland in the near future . As both have "99%" and Ireland is a small portion of the huge European market .

Navteq had mapping units here two years ago and surveyed the roads then , so don't expect them to do that for another 4-5 years . The only hope I have is that with TT's acquisition of TA , They will place more emphasis on keeping the content up to date .

I myself have a TT920 loaded with TA's newest version 7.20 and find myself switching back to the old Navteq 1332 maps that I have loaded on to the unit . These actually have most of the rural roads named as well as town lands .

Advertisement