Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oghm Tat

Options
  • 15-06-2008 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭

hey all,

just wondering does anyone know a good place that has knowledge of oghm [i can never spell it :(]

basically, its going to be my first tat.... have thought about it for a while now and i want to get 2 stars[possibly nautical] [for my mom and nana who passed away] and was looking at getting "mary" [as its both their names] is oghm or something like that,
    they problem is as far as i know there is no 'y' in the oghm [again spelling :)] dictionary so would want to get it checked out and see what can be came up with before doing it.

if that doesnt happen, any suggestions on a good language to use for names? sounds silly i know but i dont want to take a chance!

any replies much appreciated!!

K

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

ehh if youre getting it in ogham Máire is the obvious choice

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Caked Karen

yeah i know and thats whats got me thinking of changing cause its not what i would associate with both of them [mom and nana] they werent Maire if you get me!
    so that has me thinking something else aswell - sorry i know my post probably doesnt make sense at all!!!:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

You've pretty much got the choice of different language from English (in which case Irish is the obvious choice, though you've ruled that out above), a different alphabet, or a different word (e.g. a phrase like "mother and grandmother" just).

I do know someone who's been hired to research precisely this sort of question. Old Irish is an even better choice than Irish, and all the more so if translated by someone that has a bit of an idea as to the nuances rather than just doing word-for-word translation.

Advertisement