Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new pc - help!

Options
  • 15-06-2008 1:08am
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭

right got my new pc in the post - all parts like self build

put it together seems ok but can't figure out why it won't boot up,

specs are as follows,

radeon 3870x3 1Gb
    4gb ram
    Intel Core 2 Quad 9450 2.66Ghz
    Asustek S775 Intel P35 ATX GLAN (mobo)
    500Gb HDD (IDE by mistake)
    Dvd drive (IDE by mistake)

and this could be the issue but I don't think so a 550W Corsair PSU,
    any help much appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Is the ram in 4 sticks or 2 sticks?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

2 shticks

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

to be more precise it does nothing when i try to turn it on

the power led comes on but only for a brief moment as do the case fans give a quick whir.

then nothing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Tyrant^

you could try jump start your PSU just to mark sure it is working

http://www.overclock.net/faqs/96712-how-jump-start-power-supply-psu.html

if it is.... emmm I dunno
    Just check everything over and over again ( cables connected correctly , fan mounted correctly )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

mayordenis wrote: »
    to be more precise it does nothing when i try to turn it on

the power led comes on but only for a brief moment as do the case fans give a quick whir.

then nothing at all.

Getting anything on the screen at all?
    Any chance you may have shorted the Ram/Motherboard?
    Motherboard mounted/connected properly?

Make sure the CPU fan lead is connected ok, and to the CPU fan port not a regular fan port, as in most cases if the CPU one is not connected in some form it will assume no fan is on the CPU and will not boot.

Check the troubleshooting section of the PSU/Motherboard manual.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭takumi

unplug some of the stuff then try to restart , find the source that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

somethings shorting your board and in general this is because people haven't placed the raisers into the mobo tray and have mounted the mobo straight to the tray. other than that something like a screw could be caught behind the board, have you placed raisers beneath the mobo??

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭skuzzb

Your board only has one IDE connector, you cant have a hard drive and a dvd drive on the same IDE cable so either buy an IDE controller, get an IDE to SATA converter, or send the HD back and get a SATA one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Ishindar

OP i recommend u take your system apart and rebuild it again slowly with attention to detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

skuzzb wrote: »
    Your board only has one IDE connector, you cant have a hard drive and a dvd drive on the same IDE cable so either buy an IDE controller, get an IDE to SATA converter, or send the HD back and get a SATA one!

I see you know nothing about IDE then.

• Advertisement

I see you know nothing about IDE then.

Well when I tried using the one cable, my PC wouldnt boot (possibly didnt have the jumpers for master/slave/cable select done properly) and I have heard of others who have had similar problems when trying to get it to work.....also its not recomended in terms of speed for such a high end PC.

It could be causing his boot problem so it might be an option to fix it....also i would still suggest returning the drive as SATA does have alot of advantages over IDE and it seems like an expensive enough build.

And if I am wrong at least explain how so we can all learn something.

Also OP when you say 'radeon 3870x3 1Gb' do you mean you have 3 cards??? If thats the case a 550Watt PSU will only be enough to power 2 of the cards.....I wouldnt use anything less than a 750Watt PSU if thats the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

I'd imagine that the op made a misprint and should have typed 3870X2;)

I was thinking that but ya never know sure!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Take it all apart and rebuild it on a table / desk. Put it together one part at a time checking each component is working every step of the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

Make sure the mobo is mounted right on at least 5 pillars ,approx 2mm over case, THERE MUST BE no part of mobo touching metal underneath ,did you plug in psu right,ie some power units ,have 12connector to mobo,plus another 4connector cable from psu to the motherboard.disconnect dvd drive,if using 1ide dvd is set as slave ,ie move jumper to S,slave postion ,rear of dvd.plug in ide ,red ide stripe go,s closest to power cable on the hd.
    on some mobos,ram goes in slot 0 first.slots are blue ,yellow,blue,yellow.so for match ram use slot 0 ,blue, and 2nd blue for 2nd.ram chip .IT may be blue white slots on your pc, 1ST ram MUST be in slot o.
    ITS not a mistake to buy ide,its cheap,and winxp has ide drivers built in.
    IF IDE OR GRApHICS card or ram is loose pc will not boot.
    disconnect dvd, try and boot pc ,without dvd ,and hd ,

take antistatic precautions,touch metal watertap.be4 going near pc.
    GOOGLE how to build ,assemble a pc.be careful,take it really slow.

Advertisement