Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web Development Course?

Options
  • 15-06-2008 1:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Hi,

I have a BSc in Computer Science but took too much time out after college (3 years) for various reasons and find it impossible to find a job in that area now.

It was suggested to me to do a night course of some kind to update my CV. I was looking for something in web development that would give me a recognized certificate at the end of it. Are there any such courses in Dublin?

Thanks,
    Gary

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Jewelsster

What about doing a masters instead?

Where did you do your B.Sc and how did you do in it? (if I'm being too nosey don't answer!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 gary01

Jewelsster wrote: »
    What about doing a masters instead?

Where did you do your B.Sc and how did you do in it? (if I'm being too nosey don't answer!)

Not nosy at all, I finished in 2006 and it was in DIT. As for a masters, it's just in no way possible for me to do for a couple of years unfortunately so I'm thinking something like this is the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

gary01 wrote: »
    Not nosy at all, I finished in 2006 and it was in DIT. As for a masters, it's just in no way possible for me to do for a couple of years unfortunately so I'm thinking something like this is the best option.

Could you do the SCJP Sun Certified Java Programmer exam? You can find more information by checking google for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

The SCJP certification is a very hard certification and its for developers who have being developing in Java for a couple of years.

Not something you would undertake lightly.

Any particular technology you would like to get into?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 gary01

I forgot about this thread, thanks for the replies.
    cronos wrote: »
    Could you do the SCJP Sun Certified Java Programmer exam? You can find more information by checking google for it.
    Ginger wrote: »
    The SCJP certification is a very hard certification and its for developers who have being developing in Java for a couple of years.

Not something you would undertake lightly.

Any particular technology you would like to get into?

This looks like it could be an option. I've been programming in Java for about 8 years now, even long before college. My final year project was in Java. I haven't done much with it in terms of mobile application development (SCMAD) but I'm sure I could pick it up pretty fast.

I am pretty much looking to get into Web Application development again. I'm probably/hopefully moving to the US in less than a year so I'd like to have something recent, qualification-wise under my belt before I go. Maybe this is the way to go.

Thanks again for the replies :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Static

The SCJP is not a difficult exam (despite what the previous person said) and it should be no bother to you given your experience in Java. You could be ready to do in a few days, to a few weeks, given your level of study commitment. Once you have that, you can move up the Sun certification chain, specializing as you like (the SCJP is a pre-requisite for the specialty exams). If you're into WebApp development, then you could followup the SCJP with the SCWCD exam instead of the SCMAD.

Sun's exam scheduling is done with a crowd called Prometric. You buy a voucher code from sun, then on the prometric site you choose when and where you want to do the exam. Prometric has testing locations worldwide, so you can do tests here, in the states, wherever. Some test centres have loads of exam slots - it's not a 2-exam dates a year thing, some have them daily. If you feel that, approaching the exam date, you're not ready, simply reschedule the exam hassle-free (I think the deadline is a working day before the exam).

Good luck :)

gary01 wrote: »

This looks like it could be an option. I've been programming in Java for about 8 years now, even long before college. My final year project was in Java. I haven't done much with it in terms of mobile application development (SCMAD) but I'm sure I could pick it up pretty fast.

I am pretty much looking to get into Web Application development again. I'm probably/hopefully moving to the US in less than a year so I'd like to have something recent, qualification-wise under my belt before I go. Maybe this is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Static wrote: »
    Good luck :)

!! If it isn't my old ARCH NEMESIS Static !! (..cue high tempo opera music..)

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Static

!! If it isn't my old ARCH NEMESIS Static !! (..cue high tempo opera music..)

Muhahaha!

*swirls cape*

*disappears into shadows*

Etc.

Advertisement