Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elvis Presley

Options
  • 15-06-2008 1:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭

Do any members here listen to Elvis Presley.
    And if so,what is your fav song?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

I do! Just recently i've been listening to him more. I think Suspicious minds is my favourite, but that can change depending on my mood. Actually his version of 'my way'.. i think i prefer his to old blue eyes :eek: Of course he was a fantastic singer and I love looking at his old performances, you can really appreciate how innovative he was in his whole performance style, i would love to have seen him live. Even the old tv shows where he's doing the dance routines and lip syncing are great to watch:D

Anyway here's a fab performance from the 70's, jumpsuits ftw!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

Recently I have been listening to songs such as And the grass wont pay no mind and Amazing Grace.
    All of his work is brilliant though.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4wEUxvxO5A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Big Elvis fan. Personally prefer the ballads myself and I think Can't stop fallin in love is his best song.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Maglight

OK, 'Love me Tender' has to be number one, but 'True love travels on a gravel road' is class

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭curly.bert

There's a live track I heard on a knock-off "Elvis Country" CD a few years back that was absolutely amazing. 'I Washed My Hands in Muddy Water'. 'Polk Salad Annie' is another brilliant tune.

He's a bit of a figure of fun at the moment, but if you listen back to his early recordings (up till he went into the Army) he made some great records. I wholeheartedly agree that 'Love Me Tender' is one of the most beautiful bittersweet songs ever recorded.

If you haven't read them, Peter Guralnick's two books on Presley 'Last Train to Memphis' and 'Careless Love' are probably the best music biographies I've ever read.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭rowlandbrowner

"The only thing Negro people can do for me is to buy my records and shine my shoes." - Elvis.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

'Burning Love' would probably be one of my favourite Elvis tracks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Pretty much every song from Aloha from Hawaii, especially welcome to my world, fever, suspicious minds(stick it up your nose).
    He also has a version of are you lonesome tonight where he laughs throughout the whole tune, truly a great song for putting you in great form.
    Fool, Bridge over troubled water ( which is the best version ever of the song), so many I could be here all day, only the strong survive, seperate ways, you've lost that lovin feeling

"The only thing Negro people can do for me is to buy my records and shine my shoes." - Elvis.
    :rolleyes:

Nah I heard that one before on youtube. . . That was just made up in an attempt to bring him down.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I always thought Elvis was overrated - his voice grates after a little while imo.

I do love "Suspicious Minds" though.

• Advertisement

I always thought Elvis was overrated - his voice grates after a little while imo.

Well they dont call him The King for nothing.
    I do love "Suspicious Minds" though.
    You are right there.A great song indeed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭rebeldiamond

I always loved 'Supicious Minds' for some reason. I guess it always reminds me of when I was small as my Dad listened to Elvis lots! And the thing is, I'm not a fan at all but I really, really like that one! I guess it just shows that sometimes music is more about the memories attached than the song itself.... :) Does anyone else get that with older songs- especially Elvis tunes?? :)

I always loved 'Supicious Minds' for some reason. I guess it always reminds me of when I was small as my Dad listened to Elvis lots! And the thing is, I'm not a fan at all but I really, really like that one! I guess it just shows that sometimes music is more about the memories attached than the song itself.... :) Does anyone else get that with older songs- especially Elvis tunes?? :)

It's like you read my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Burning Love and Suspicious Minds are my 2 favs..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

This is quite possibly going of on a tangent but as elvis is a good example of this I thought id include my ramblings.
    If you did a survey of 1,000 people and asked them for Musical Legends, Greatest Artists of all time etc, An awful lot of people would list Elvis the majority of these people would not own any Elvis albums except for maybe a best of collection or two.
    Now while the same thing happens in sport people who have never seen them arguing over who was better Pele or Maradona is not uncommon at least sport being live in nature people have a good reason why they wouldnt have seen more than clips/highlights as watching a game where you know the result is usual boring.
    Music is different its art and should be eternal(well if its good) so why do
    A) These so called fans not invest in albums by somone they consider a "Legend"?
    B) Name him as an all time great when they haven't been interested enough to look into the art he created

Im not slagging of Elvis over this(although im not a big fan TBH) it happens with many many other artists and it bugs me.

It's as simple as this-Elvis is the main person who was responsible for the birth of Rock and Roll.In doing so,he achieved the title of 'The King'.Therefore,it is not surprising that he is the most famous singer of all time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

No doubt Elvis was a great singer and entertainer, but does anyone know (I dont) how much of his material (if any) did he actually write and how much did he "borrow" :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

GA361 wrote: »
    It's as simple as this-Elvis is the main person who was responsible for the birth of Rock and Roll.In doing so,he achieved the title of 'The King'.Therefore,it is not surprising that he is the most famous singer of all time.

Now that is a load of sh!te. I don't love or hate Elvis, I'm just browsing, but please...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

Rigsby wrote: »
    No doubt Elvis was a great singer and entertainer, but does anyone know (I dont) how much of his material (if any) did he actually write and how much did he "borrow" :confused:

He wrote a few of his own songs and he co-wrote some other s
    ongs.He aquired the song writing skills of some other people to write other songs for him to sing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Suspicious minds, the wonder of you and his version of my way are my fav, Elvis is class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Burning Love is my fav by far

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭D.S.

In the ghetto - great song...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

You can't beat a bit of Elvis every now and then. The early Vegas stuff is what I listen to the most, he assembled such an incredible band, even today there is still such amazing energy off those recordings.

Favourite tune... hard to say... today it's Guitarman off the 69 Comeback Special :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

I'm a man for Elvis' early stuff when he was still with Scotty Moore and Bill Black. The rockabilly stuff is what does it for me. I'd say my favourite track is 'Mystery Train'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭ZakAttak

Did Phil Coulter write a song for Elvis or is my mate winding me up. I wouldn't think its totally implausible- if this is true, does anyone know the name of the song? I'd like to hear it just out of curiosity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

return to sender and marie's the name ( of his latest flame) would be my two favourite Elvis songs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

ZakAttak wrote: »
    Did Phil Coulter write a song for Elvis or is my mate winding me up. I wouldn't think its totally implausible- if this is true, does anyone know the name of the song? I'd like to hear it just out of curiosity.

Yea he did can't remember the name of the song but i think i heard it and i'm pretty sure it's rubbish. I believe he is the only non American to write a song for Elvis

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭ZakAttak

Yea he did can't remember the name of the song but i think i heard it and i'm pretty sure it's rubbish. I believe he is the only non American to write a song for Elvis

==>I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was sh1te, not a mad coulter fan at all. Still though, nice to see a paddy getting in there.

Advertisement