Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics HL Question

Options
  • 15-06-2008 2:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Can anyone help me with 2005, Q7 on light, lasers and slits and patterns on screens...

(iii) What is the effect on the pattern when-
    the wavelength of the light is increased?

Marking scheme says the pattern spreads out more, but I can't get my head around it because..if you increase the wavelength, then more diffraction occurs, right? (probably wrong ha) And more diffraction = more interference = more lines....

That's really bad reasoning.

If anyone can explain this to me thanks in advance :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

nlambda = dSinA

sinA = nlambda/d

If lambda increases, then sinA increases so the light spreads out more. (because as sinA gets larger, so does A)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 dshalloo

Also on the topic of light, does anybody have the derivation for

n(lambda)=dSin(theta)

Please :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

Thanks to Cokehead Mother on another thread for this : http://www.studentxpress.ie/proof1.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭littlneutralone

nlambda = dSinA

sinA = nlambda/d

If lambda increases, then sinA increases so the light spreads out more. (because as sinA gets larger, so does A)
    THANK YOU. Wow I'm going to fail with flying colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

is it possible to get away with not doing monochromatic light and defraction gratings etc because i HATE that sh1t! and also a long question on sound (i'll be doing the sound experiments obv)?? I want an A so i dont want to waste time studying that stuff cos i hate it. Do you think i'll be ok with basic light, basic sound, mechanics, electricity, magnetism, modern physics and particle physics?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭declan_lgs

THANK YOU. Wow I'm going to fail with flying colours.
    No, you're going to pass with d over lambda colours.

Oh I tried :o

• Registered Users Posts: 27 dshalloo

The Walsho wrote: »
    Thanks to Cokehead Mother on another thread for this : http://www.studentxpress.ie/proof1.pdf

Thank you :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭A-Bit-Dodge

Hhaha little neutral one... brilliant name altogether!! :D

In honour of the only section of physics I can stomach.

If any physical people are still up...could anyone explain why -
    in 2002, Q8, (ii) why you use W=IV to solve it? Why can't you use P=(I^2)R? [I know you use the second formula for part (iii) but what's the difference?]
    declan_lgs wrote: »
    No, you're going to pass with d over lambda colours.

Oh I tried
    You did good man, with what you had :pac:

In honour of the only section of physics I can stomach.

If any physical people are still up...could anyone explain why -
    in 2002, Q8, (ii) why you use W=IV to solve it? Why can't you use P=(I^2)R? [I know you use the second formula for part (iii) but what's the difference?]

You did good man, with what you had :pac:

Ye, thats a tricky one... emmm, p=I^2R gives the rate at which heat is produced in conductor. and P=IV says that the Power Rating = the current through the curcuit x the voltage across.

If ever they ask for heat/energy produced in circuit use P=I^2R (joules law). and if they say it has a power of xyz then use the P=IV formula. Safest bet. good luck tomorow!

• Advertisement

So...P=IV is kinda focused on the powerful-driving-current aspect, and P=I^2R is more for heat losses and other zany conversions?

Thanks and good luck to you too!

ye, if you keep that in mind you should know which one to use. :D

Advertisement