Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Broaband.... Rathmines.. Anyone else havign issues... Coz i know i sure am...

Options
  • 15-06-2008 3:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Ill give some history first;

Have been living in the upper rathmines area for 12 months now, and have had nothing but issues/hassle with BT. I have has 28 escalated issues.... And not one have them has been resolved... And by resolved i mean a simple call to myself to say things are sorted. My latest was (befrore this one) (early june)

Huge pings, and the 'interwebz is uneseable. I think i pay a fair price for the ****ty 3mb(60€) connection i get. I dont expect much, i dont expect to hit my full download rate all the time. But i do expect a certain level of service....

for the last 9 months BT have left me/us with a connection that is unuseable. even browsing boards means my connection drops..... As far as i can tell, this is an issue with the BT DNS servers(I work as a sysadmin,network engineer).... Yeahh, i hear you.... use another DNs server...... But why should i ? I feel im paying a massive price for a substandard service.

I have to admit, i have spoken to some awesome guys in BT(tech support).. One chap called Jason... He spent 2 hours on the phone to me, and i dont mean 2 hours of "reset this, flush this" He actually told me what the problem was. But in the end, he said nothing can be done.... And i really appreciated his honetsty.

He didnt even laugh when i mentioned the "intarwebz was being raped" Althought spankeh almost pissed himself.

To give you an example how bad it is, for the last 6 hours... The only connection to the net is an SSh connection through putty... Which is for irc... Even this has been killing my connection.

My last conversation to BT was:

" Hi BT, Just to let you know... I will be refusing all payments for this connection, untill you sort it out. I do not think i should pay this ammount every 2 months for a supstandard service. And by substandard, i mean.... IP addys dropping every few moments. And form that i get pings of 4000+... I do not call this a service..

One problem i had while talking to BT was :

There is apparenly no manager/s working after 5pm, and on weekends....... Now, i know this is bull****. I have worked in a callcentre(many years ago), there is always a manager/supervisor on all at all times. And thats for legal reasons... I have even begged to speak to a manage ron weekdays, but alas they are "busy. not avail"..

Bull**** is all i can say.

So, sorry for the huge rant, im sure i lost half of you at the first few lines... But is anyone havign this issue ?

Im seriously considering taking BT ot the small clamies court to get a refund of my monney for the last 12 months !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭admol

What was the conclusion the tech guy on the phone came to? What are your line stats like?

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

Why don't you cancel your broadband from them :confused: if its been like that for this long why put up with it?You've tried talking to resolve to no success why not switch to smart or upc there both very good and better prices for a 3mb package €60 is way to much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Thanks for the replies lads.

There is no conclusion from the tech guys. they are simply blaming Eircom. I know a lad who works with smart and he says its not available on my exchange yet. And neither is ntl/upc. I think the best bet now would be to cancel my contract with them, and get a 3g modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

I no just how you fell my net drop's about onse every minite the only way i can get it to stay on all of the time is to take the phone of the hook which is bull as that mean's i cant recive any call's

Probluem is bt are going to say it's eircom and eircom will say it's bt

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I no just how you fell my net drop's about onse every minite the only way i can get it to stay on all of the time is to take the phone of the hook which is bull as that mean's i cant recive any call's

Probluem is bt are going to say it's eircom and eircom will say it's bt

Thats physicals or a internal wiring, check the FAQ link in my sig

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

OP Is your connection actually dropping or are you 100% sure its a dns issue? Whats are your line stats like?
    Anti wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies lads.

There is no conclusion from the tech guys. they are simply blaming Eircom. I know a lad who works with smart and he says its not available on my exchange yet. And neither is ntl/upc. I think the best bet now would be to cancel my contract with them, and get a 3g modem.
    Wouldn't jump on the 3G bandwagon just yet, you could end up with a connection just as unusable and slower.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Some of the shi**iest cable wiring I've seen is in Rathmines and Rathgar. There won't be too much broadband in that area until UPC get their act together there.

I think with so many complaints to BT previously, it's clear you should contact ComReg about all this. Tell them the stuff you posted in your first post, and highlight the times when you raised issues and compaints with BT staff, and how they did not respond adequately to your issues.

If you want another provider in the meantime, I suggest Irish Broadband or Digiweb Metro, both of which would be available around there. Digiweb Metro have faster speeds available than what BT can currently give you.

OP Is your connection actually dropping or are you 100% sure its a dns issue? Whats are your line stats like?

Im guessing it has to be at this stage. Ive switched over to opendns tonight, and the internet has now been up 4 hours...Although still painfully slow. If i go back ot one of bt's prefered dns servers the connection dies every few seconds. Maybe a dhcp lease issue too ?

BT have rang me today, and have ran a line etst while my modem is unplugged to the wall, they way all the wiring between there servers and the exchange is fine, and from the exchange to my house is also fine. So they say this leave it to be an internal wiring issue. While i have no problem believing this, its just highly unlikeable. There has been no changes to the wirign in the house. and im connected to the one and only point.

What makes me say its unlikely is my modem has a log of a 21 day period where nothing at all is wrong.

Ive a sparky friend, but he has no equipment to measure line noise. And he also thinks this isnt the problem. ALso the linksys router with ddwrt firmware cand check it either. If only i could find a netopia router... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

I have to admit, i have spoken to some awesome guys in BT(tech support).. One chap called Jason... He spent 2 hours on the phone to me, and i dont mean 2 hours of "reset this, flush this" He actually told me what the problem was. But in the end, he said nothing can be done.... And i really appreciated his honetsty.

He didnt even laugh when i mentioned the "intarwebz was being raped" Althought spankeh almost pissed himself.

What exactly did he go through with you for 2hrs? I can't imagine they would spend that amount of time, lucky if its 20 minutes. If its a DNS issue have you at least tried to change to confirm this. If he told you them the problem was with eircom then maybe BT can't do anything to change fix this?

Im guessing it has to be at this stage. Ive switched over to opendns tonight, and the internet has now been up 4 hours...Although still painfully slow. If i go back ot one of bt's prefered dns servers the connection dies every few seconds. Maybe a dhcp lease issue too ?

I missed this post Anti, so if you use open DNS you get a consident connection for 4hrs or more so far. This sounds like it is a DNS issue and not internal wiring as it was suggested to you. What other DNS servers have you tried? I find it hard that BT can blame it on eircom if you are using BT DNS?

• Advertisement

Have used the opendns server since last night. 100% stable yet slow connection. Well, when i say slow my download is as normal, but upload cant go any higher then 5kbs. Rang bt today to let them know and they say just because ive changed dns servers means nothing .....

Also got them to do another line test and it show's as "green" instead of "red" They say they now have to escalate it again which will take another 5 working days. Would i been within my rights to just cancle my connection on the grounds they are not able to provide me with a service ?

Have a mate comming round tonight with his netopia so i can get some line information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

are ur pings etc fine late at night like 2 or 3 am if so ur exchange is just over conjested imo

ping were still high as of 12:30 last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

He spent 2 hours on the phone to me, and i dont mean 2 hours of "reset this, flush this" He actually told me what the problem was. But in the end, he said nothing can be done.... And i really appreciated his honetsty.

What did he say was actually the problem?
    Have you considered Digiweb Metro?

He said it was a problem with eircom using bitstream, and their exchanges having ancient hardware. And the fact they are not allowing Bt in to upgrade it.

Also, apparently digi metro is not avail in my area :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Strange that... I've seen Digiweb metro aerials on lots of rooftops on the upper and lower rathmines road. Even if the closer masts aren't visible, Three Rock should be able to supply you?

Ring Digiweb, again if you did it before and if there's a hope of a signal in the salesperson's mind I'd order on the spot.

He said it was a problem with eircom using bitstream, and their exchanges having ancient hardware. And the fact they are not allowing Bt in to upgrade it.

Also, apparently digi metro is not avail in my area :(

It only seems to be you affected by this DNS issue, surley if more boardies in rathmines had the issue this thread would be more then two pages?

i'd imagine so.

Advertisement