Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Political correctness

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

No, not examples of racism - examples of political correctness being built into society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

it gets on my nerves somewhere else,a person who works in an office now is an "adminstrator",you dont have customers anymore you have "clients",and you dont offer services anymore you offer "solutions",talking about ego trips for ordinary people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Fred83 wrote: »
    it gets on my nerves somewhere else,a person who works in an office now is an "adminstrator",you dont have customers anymore you have "clients",and you dont offer services anymore you offer "solutions",talking about ego trips for ordinary people

But person who works in an office is a bit of a mouthful in fairness.

"person who works in an office" = 8 syllables
    "administrator" = 5 syllables (4 if you spell it adminstrator)

"customers" = 3 syllables
    "clients" = 2 syllables

They're not PC terms, they're just timesavers/buzzwords.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

javaboy wrote: »
    But person who works in an office is a bit of a mouthful in fairness.

"person who works in an office" = 8 syllables
    "administrator" = 5 syllables (4 if you spell it adminstrator)

"customers" = 3 syllables
    "clients" = 2 syllables

They're not PC terms, they're just timesavers/buzzwords.

Bin man= waste disposal manager. :P

Some of the new lingo is harmless enough, with others it just seems like people are trying to make things more complicated than they actually are.

For example, when I worked in a shop I wasn't a shop girl or an assistant, I was a 'retail consultant'. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

Acacia wrote: »
    Bin man= waste disposal manager. :P

Some of the new lingo is harmless enough, with others it just seems like people are trying to make things more complicated than they actually are.

For example, when I worked in a shop I wasn't a shop girl or an assistant, I was a 'retail consultant'. :confused:

aye and some them use it as in im this and that in a company,and look down on at you :S

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

It is utterly mad.

Tinkers, pakis, frogs, yanks, darkies, ruskies, non-national, gooks, japs, chinks, dames, burds, half-caste, golly-wogs, all no longer acceptable terminology. What is the world coming to? Next calling someone a cheese-eating surrender monkey will be off the cards!

It is utterly mad.

Tinkers, pakis, frogs, yanks, darkies, ruskies, non-national, gooks, japs, chinks, dames, burds, half-caste, golly-wogs, all no longer acceptable terminology. What is the world coming to? Next calling someone a cheese-eating surrender monkey will be off the cards!

You can't say "mad".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

We should ban Christmas saying it upsets Jews, Muslims etc.

That would show the pc brigade:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

It is utterly mad.

I use these daily...

OH SH-

• Advertisement

Browney7 wrote: »
    We should ban Christmas saying it upsets Jews, Muslims etc.

That would show the pc brigade:p

No no no no no! What we need is more public holidays, not less.

Christmas? Days off.
    Hannukah? More days off.
    Passover, Kwanza, Ramadan and MLK day? Days off. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭camel toe

turgon wrote: »
    Examples of racism??

Racism is built into Irish culture. It has gotten so deep that you might not even notice. Obviously this innate racism is directed at a) English people and even more so at b) Protestants.

But its not like (most) people go out and engage in direct racism. Its subtle. For example someone might say in jest "Damn Prody". It becomes a joke in the class: "hes a protestant". Not meant in anger, but we are just so used to seeing the protestants as bad, and the catholics as good, that now most people dont think twice.

Its the worst kind of racism to tackle, because these people dont see themselves as racist.

boards has its fair share of clowns doesnt it?

a protestant isn't a race u goon so its not racist.

BTW that above post is pc gone mad.
    Its the worst kind of racism to tackle, because these people dont see themselves as racist

that made me laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Iolar wrote: »
    Do you think Ireland is under siege by it?

Yes, you can't walk your dog off a lead now but you have some c*nt telling you that you are breaking the law, you can't light a fire in the Dublin mountains now without prior written permission, against the law.

You can't spread the cheeks of your arse and fart now, guess what, it's against the law and contributing to global warming. You can't post drunken posts on here now, 'cos guess what, it's against the fu*kin' law!

Can we not go back to Granby Burgers, Blazing Saddles, Karate Kid and Shepards Pie, oh fu*k, Jasus, you won't believe this, against the law!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

yeah, godammit.
    People can't take a joke these days.

Fagggotss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Poor advertisers.

You cannot advertise cigarettes for fear somebody might smoke.

You cannot advertise alcohol for fear somebody might drink.

You cannot call a black board a black board because of racist Fvcks it must be called a chalk board.

If I have children and the child comes home from school singing "bah bah happy sheep" I will smack that teacher about. "Its bah bah black sheep". There is a reason for the word Black.

You cannot say in future at work anymore because its sound like you are scolding an employee. You must say "going forward".

You cannot fart in a nightclub anymore because there is no smoke to mask the smell.

Poor advertisers.

You cannot advertise cigarettes for fear somebody might smoke.

True.
    You cannot advertise alcohol for fear somebody might drink.

False. Ciúnas bóthar cáilín báinne
    You cannot call a black board a black board because of racist Fvcks it must be called a chalk board.

False. Many schools use green 'blackboards' now anyway so the term often makes no sense. In some schools, chalk/blackboards have been replaced entirely by whiteboards.
    If I have children and the child comes home from school singing "bah bah happy sheep" I will smack that teacher about. "Its bah bah black sheep". There is a reason for the word Black.

Unknown. If you have children and if the kid comes home singing that. That story is pretty much up there with the EU banning curvy bananas. Sure there's the odd nutty PC mad teacher who will change the lyrics because of the negative connotations that 'black sheep' carries (i.e. an outcast) but I think paranoid anti-PC people just sit around making this kind of stuff up for the most part.
    You cannot say in future at work anymore because its sound like you are scolding an employee. You must say "going forward".

False. Going forward is just a buzzword people say to make the nonsense spewing from their mouths sound more important. You can still say in future in the workplace.
    You cannot fart in a nightclub anymore because there is no smoke to mask the smell.

False.

People making up PC stuff to get annoyed about is at least as annoying to me as the actual PC stuff in the first place. Bear that in mind going forward. :mad:

• Advertisement

Saying True or False does not mean that you are correct and I am incorrect. Simply put it up as your opinion.

Saying True or False does not mean that you are correct and I am incorrect. Simply put it up as your opinion.

False. :D

Ok so let's take the alcohol advertising. Is that banned? Well there are ads for alcohol on Irish television so I'm gonna say........... FALSE!

'In future'. Well I've definitely heard plenty of people say that in workplaces. Can you tell me what legislation or precedent makes you believe that it's banned? Or did you just make it up or read it in someone else's anti-PC rant?

I stand by my original proclamations of trueness and falsitude. And I refuse to put 'imo' at the end of the post just to pander to some PC notion you have that I'm not allowed say you are wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I'm more worried about Ireland being under siege by the new Snow Patrol album to be honest.

*shudder*

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

Ireland is under siege?
    Quick, somebody call Casey Ryback

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Your all very angry today.

Chillax lads.

• Advertisement

Caoimhín wrote: »
    Your all very angry today.

Chillax lads.

Its mad, some people troll threads looking for something to boom their voice against.

When I can think of nothing good to say I say nothing at all. :D About who replies to that sentence clearly must have the last word. Enjoy it, my parting gift :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

false

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Definitely. We seem to be more concerned about not offending the minorities rather than tackling the decline of our society.

clearly must have the last word.
    Tigger wrote: »
    false

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

meh

:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Irelands Call. Now thats an example of political correctness:D

How can levels of political correctness be measured by country?

Dudess wrote: »
    How can levels of political correctness be measured by country?

Simple. Take a popular representative hysterical "Oh noes the PC brigade are gonna get us" type tabloid e.g. the Daily HateMail. Count up the number of exaggerated groundless examples they give of political correctness "GONE MAD". Add 7. Multiply by the GNP and divide by your D.O.B.

We're trailing the UK ever so slightly in the latest tables.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

"Oh noes the PC brigade are gonna get us" type tabloid e.g. the Daily HateMail. Count up the number of exaggerated groundless examples they give of political correctness "GONE MAD". Add 7. Multiply by the GNP and divide by your D.O.B.

Quite. No smoke without fire.

However I, for one, welcome our new PC overlords.

However, come the politically incorrect revolution I will, no doubt, welcome our new anti-PC overlords.

• Advertisement

Simple. Take a popular representative hysterical "Oh noes the PC brigade are gonna get us" type tabloid e.g. the Daily HateMail. Count up the number of exaggerated groundless examples they give of political correctness "GONE MAD". Add 7. Multiply by the GNP and divide by your D.O.B.

:D

But we've edged ahead of the Democratic Republic of Congo.
    If we get 1.5 more points in the thrid quater of the final sector then we'll beat the spread and I'll get a 45:1 payoff on a 100 euro bet!

Once there's an Irish Daily Express we'll be neck and neck with the UK - possibly slightly ahead? With the Irish Daily Mail, the Herald and the red-tops we're very nearly there.

Darragh29 wrote: »
    Yes, you can't walk your dog off a lead now but you have some c*nt telling you that you are breaking the law, you can't light a fire in the Dublin mountains now without prior written permission, against the law.

Those aren't example of political correctness 'gone mad'- they're health and safety issues. That is, those laws aren't put in place so people don't get 'offended'- they're there to stop people getting hurt.

You can't spread the cheeks of your arse and fart now, guess what, it's against the law and contributing to global warming. You can't post drunken posts on here now, 'cos guess what, it's against the fu*kin' law!

Oh my god, you farted! And drunk-posted! To the gulag with you!

Can we not go back to Granby Burgers, Blazing Saddles, Karate Kid and Shepards Pie, oh fu*k, Jasus, you won't believe this, against the law!

Say what? :confused:

Eh, yeah it does, that's how arguments generally work.

Seriously, people who complain about ''PC gone mad'' are usually paranoid and spend way too much time reading ''The Sun'' and ''The Daily Mail''. Half of the examples of said political-correctness are made-up or taken out of context ( like the ''ho, ho, ho'' thing.) The anti-PC people are as annoying as the overly-PC people, in my opinion.

Especially the ones who whine about their 'human rights' being infringed. Get real. Try living in Communist China or some such country, then you'll know what it's like to have your civil rights restricted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭petrochemical

Why can't all the organisms in the world be PC to eachother? Is that too much to ask?

Why can't all the organisms in the world be PC to eachother? Is that too much to ask?

That could work were it not for rabbits.

Rabbits are supremacist bastards.

Some people really don't know what "politically correct" means.

Some people cant cook.

Dudess wrote: »
    Some people really don't know what "politically correct" means.

After Hours definition of 'politically correct'-

adjective , usually referring to 'paedo defenders' *, 'homo lovers' **, and people who want to let all the immigints into our country to take our jawbs and eat our swans***.

Usually used when a poster can think of no logical answer to back up his argument.

Other meanings: Neo-Nazi, Commie, Pinko, Liberal, Tree-Hugger.

* a.k.a people who don't support pedophiles but fail to see the logic/benefits of torturing them.

** a.k.a people who believe that gay people should have the same rights as straight people.

*** a.k.a. people who don't buy into paranoid bullplop about immigrants or the E.U.

;):p

• Advertisement

Usually used when a poster can think of no logical answer to back up his argument.

it's almost like accusing the other side of getting their opinions by just reading the red-tops, thinking this an argument, and sneering into the tofu.

Of course PC exists, although people do get it mixed up with elf n' sarfy.

Acacia wrote: »
    After Hours definition of 'politically correct'-

adjective , usually referring to 'paedo defenders' *, 'homo lovers' **, and people who want to let all the immigints into our country to take our jawbs and eat our swans***.

Other meanings: Neo-Nazi, Commie, Pinko, Liberal, Tree-Hugger.

* a.k.a people who don't support pedophiles but fail to see the logic/benefits of torturing them.

** a.k.a people who believe that gay people should have the same rights as straight people.

*** a.k.a. people who don't buy into paranoid bullplop about immigrants or the E.U.

;):p

Methinks the lady doth protest too much. Obviously another Kellog's Crunchy Pinko Liberal Nazi.

Methinks the lady doth protest too much. Obviously another Kellog's Crunchy Pinko Liberal Nazi.

Damn , you've got me all figured out! I'm off to burn my bra while giving out free socks and plasma tv's to the immigints! :p

asdasd wrote: »
    it's almost like accusing the other side of getting their opinions by just reading the red-tops, thinking this an argument, and sneering into the tofu.

Of course PC exists, although people do get it mixed up with elf n' sarfy.

I'm not saying that they get their arguments solely from tabloids, but that the term 'politically correct' is widely mis-used on After Hours.

It does exist, but not to the 'civil-rights-impeaching' extent some people believe.

Not wanting child killers to be boiled in oil and preferring they spend the rest of their natural lives in a small prison cell is also another example of political correctness gone mad! :mad:

Plus, it's defending the nazis.

It does exist, but not to the 'civil-rights-impeaching' extent some people believe.

True.

• Advertisement

Not wanting child killers to be boiled in oil and preferring they spend the rest of their natural lives in a small prison cell is also another example of political correctness gone mad!

true, some of those nuts make me want to reconsider my support of the death penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

Gyalist wrote: »
    The funny thing is that neither of those two stories you cited as examples of political correctness are even remotely true.

My friend is a primary school teacher (and although a bit of a drama queen, so not always the most reliable source of info) but AFAIK, she has to teach nursery rhymes like baa baa black sheep, as baa baa rainbow sheep, or some other such nonsense, she can't say black sheep anyway :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

My friend is a primary school teacher (and although a bit of a drama queen, so not always the most reliable source of info) but AFAIK, she has to teach nursery rhymes like baa baa black sheep, as baa baa rainbow sheep, or some other such nonsense, she can't say black sheep anyway :rolleyes:

Does black sheep become "darkly coloured wool with legs"??

coloured

taboo taboo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭rowlandbrowner

people who have a problem with political correctness are usually straight white citizens who seem to be clueless about the ways political correctness has helped minorities from being poorly treated. people are, of course easily brainwashed by trashy right-wing newspapers into thinking of it as some loony left-wing idea eroding your right to speech because you cant call people retards anymore or make racially insensitive jokes - as if the world would be a much richer place if you could, political correctness is a great - if sometimes misguided - idea that promotes equality.

• Advertisement
Advertisement