Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

working long hours - have the worst diet and need advice

• 15-06-2008 4:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭

I work as a childminder and work very long hours. I could work 10 - 12 hours a day. I've got the worst diet in the world and need advice.

I mind 1 child and during my working days when baby is napping i sit down to eat a prepared lunch (lunch i've made the night before to bring with me). The problem is if child is having and off day i don't get time to eat. 5 or 6 hours or maybe even more could go by between my meals which is too long, and i usually end up raiding my employers sweet press in between my meals until i get time to sit and eat. I end up eating all sorts of crap then from packets - biscuits, chocolate, cookies, cake, chrisps, whatever for an energy boost. My whole day is just gone haywire, and i get far to tired. With having very little time to eat lately so many times food or tea goes down the wrong way and i end up coughing it back up.

I eat a good breakfast every morning before work. Usuaaly porridge or musli.

lunch is usually tuna and sweetcorn on an oatcake or two. (I bring the tuna and sweetcorn in a tub to 'butter' my oatcakes there). A yoghurt.

I need some quick lunch and healthy snack ideas for my day. Food must be filling also. Something i could pre-prepare before work or the night before. I think i know where i'm going wrong throughout my days - i'm bringing a lunch that needs to be prepared a little at lunch time before eating. I need something there in front of me ready to eat.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭darling.x

if anybody has and ideas for salads i could make up that would be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭darling.x

would there be any energy shakes i could use between meals.

Also i forgot to mention that red bull is also part of my daily diet. I also have a vitamin supplement i intend on starting on today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭mrsberries

darling.x wrote: »
    if anybody has and ideas for salads i could make up that would be great.

A couple of my favourite salads are as follows;

Chargrilled chicken breast (using schwartz seasoning and putting the chicken on a George Foreman grill)
    Mixed leaves (rocket, spinach, lollo rosso - whatever you fancy)
    Tomatoes
    Chopped red peppers
    Chopped Mango

OR

Mixed leaves
    chopped avocado (High in good fat, I only use a quarter)
    Cucumber
    Olives (about 5)
    Sprinkle of feta cheese for taste
    Pine nuts

You could also grill a salmon breast with cajun seasoning for the salad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Fruit and nuts are very handy for snacking on when you're on the run.

Eating the kind of crap you're eating is probably only contributing to your tiredness. Redbull is muck. I'd cut that out. Plenty of water to replace it.

Things I eat when I'm in work and haven't brought in a lunch:
    Tin of tuna
    Museli
    chicken breast (lidl do a 2% fat one that's covered in herbs and tastes yum)
    nuts
    fruit (I'd leave fruit and nuts in the office)

If you're switching from a high sugar diet to slow release energy foods then expect a bit of a changeover period while your body adjusts. Well worth coming out the other side of though. High sugar diet really sucks the life out of you with all the ups and downs.

Edit: One other thing; In the morning I try to eat at the same time as my baby, or when she's having her bottle, or else I sit her on my lap and give her some of what I'm having. If she's in her high chair, I'm good to eat. Don't forget to look after yourself. It'll help both you and the child you're minding.

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭justbringit89

mrsberries wrote: »
    A couple of my favourite salads are as follows;

Chargrilled chicken breast (using schwartz seasoning and putting the chicken on a George Foreman grill)
    Mixed leaves (rocket, spinach, lollo rosso - whatever you fancy)
    Tomatoes
    Chopped red peppers
    Chopped Mango

You could also grill a salmon breast with cajun seasoning for the salad

I must try that Chargrilled Chicken Breast, What flavour is the Schwartz seasoning?? Is it sold in most supermarkets eg tesco?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭Serafijn

I often bring in strawberries, grapes or cherry tomatoes in a tupperware. Great snack to have if you're busy, as you can grab one or two at a time then carry on with what you're doing.

Similar handy bites are raw carrots or cucumber cut into strips, celery sticks (with a blob of cream cheese if you fancy) or combine all three for a bit of variety.

Advertisement