Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭poppysox

Lynx655 wrote: »
    HI all I was wondering if anyone knows where you can details of pay and benefits, I know the basic salary but was wondering do recruits get the Northern Ireland Transitional Allowance and if there were any other benefits i.e BUPA allowance, childminder saver scheme etc. Its just that I want to join so bad but have to let head rule heart and need to work out if I can afford the pay cut.

There's also childcare vouchers although I don't know anything about them. I've just seen the e-mails going round re: them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 leethegreat

hey guys, does anybody no if there will be a new campaign starting september yet?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

There won't.

Read here. Recruitment for 2009 is closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 leethegreat

thanks psni, i suppose that means more of a chance for those who are waiting to get in:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Bifbert

Gone pretty quiet around these parts recently. I still haven't received medical/vetting forms but hopefully will this month sometime. It's going to be a long winter waiting to here if you get in! This is a question hopefully psni could answer, is it highly unlikely to get in on your first time if you pass everything or do you stand the same chance as someone who has passed everything but is doing it the 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc.... I know they will be more experienced but surely some people have to get in first time??? cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭BoutYe

Bifbert wrote: »
    Gone pretty quiet around these parts recently. I still haven't received medical/vetting forms but hopefully will this month sometime. It's going to be a long winter waiting to here if you get in! This is a question hopefully psni could answer, is it highly unlikely to get in on your first time if you pass everything or do you stand the same chance as someone who has passed everything but is doing it the 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc.... I know they will be more experienced but surely some people have to get in first time??? cheers

It has absolutely nothing to do with how many times you have applied. Its all down to merit number. Doesnt matter if you've applied once or 10 times, if you have a high enough score you're in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Gonetoosoon

When and how do we get our merit scores? Is it important to find out our IST score?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 ImpRex

BoutYe wrote: »
    It has absolutely nothing to do with how many times you have applied. Its all down to merit number. Doesnt matter if you've applied once or 10 times, if you have a high enough score you're in.

This might sound harsh but personally I think it should matter how many times you've applied. If there was a limit to the number of times you apply it might make things easier:
    1. It may speed things up a bit. There are a ridiculous number of applicants. I think some apply for the wrong reasons.
    2. Applicants would have to ask themselves if it's something they really want to do and more importantly - are they ready to do it? Physically, mentally and in terms of maturity.

If you've applied five times and havent got in, then there's probably a good reason. 'Gaming' your answers depending on IST and AC score every year should have a limit.
    And before anyone comes on and says they've applied 10 times and finally got in - if you're not a post-probation constable then anything said is just opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭PEGGYSUE'S MAMA

they cannot impose limits on number of times that people apply because of the 50/50 rule.... in other mainland forces the limit is something like 3 or 4 times for applying.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Misterjay

ImpRex wrote: »
    This might sound harsh but personally I think it should matter how many times you've applied. If there was a limit to the number of times you apply it might make things easier:
    1. It may speed things up a bit. There are a ridiculous number of applicants. I think some apply for the wrong reasons.
    2. Applicants would have to ask themselves if it's something they really want to do and more importantly - are they ready to do it? Physically, mentally and in terms of maturity.

If you've applied five times and havent got in, then there's probably a good reason. 'Gaming' your answers depending on IST and AC score every year should have a limit.
    And before anyone comes on and says they've applied 10 times and finally got in - if you're not a post-probation constable then anything said is just opinion.

'If you're not a post-probation constable then anything said is just opinion'.

I bet you posted that and then thought 'what a silly comment'! How does being a post-probation constable make a difference to having a valid opinion? :confused:

While the 50:50 recruitment is still in operation, people should be allowed to apply as often as they want. Let's face it, the merit pool isn't just on merit. One cannot help what religion they were born into. Perhaps it will change when the unfair 50:50 finally gets kicked into touch.

I have found this forum of great benefit over the past few weeks. All opinions are valid, even yours ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Louisiana 1927

Yes your 'opinion' is harsh. I wonder,is this your first time appplying?

Not everything is straight forward & as black & white as you appear to think my friend, maybe you will realize that in time;)

Farewell:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bc84

Not everything is straight forward & as black & white as you appear to think my friend, maybe you will realize that in time;)

all aboard the GV express :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭PEGGYSUE'S MAMA

tooot toooot!:D

tooot toooot!:D

:D & we're off:pac::pac:

Misterjay wrote: »
    'If you're not a post-probation constable then anything said is just opinion'.

I bet you posted that and then thought 'what a silly comment'! How does being a post-probation constable make a difference to having a valid opinion? :confused:

While the 50:50 recruitment is still in operation, people should be allowed to apply as often as they want. Let's face it, the merit pool isn't just on merit. One cannot help what religion they were born into. Perhaps it will change when the unfair 50:50 finally gets kicked into touch.

I have found this forum of great benefit over the past few weeks. All opinions are valid, even yours ;)

I didnt think it was silly actually. I said you have an opinion - but thats all it is.
    Until someone has passed the two year mark and is succesfully doing actual police work then they cant say if it was the right thing for them and if frankly, theyre any good.

I didnt actually bring up 50:50 either. I think in the circumstances, 50:50 is fine, I dont have a problem with it.
    I have a problem with people applying for the wrong reasons and being able to apply an unlimited number of times - being able to pass the IST and AC after years of trying and getting the right answers through elimination is not merit.

No, its not. I applied four years ago for the wrong reason at the time. I liked the salary and was having a hard time in my job. I passed the AC and IST, medical and vetting.
    Basically, the circumstances in my then-job changed and I asked the PSNI to withdraw my application.

Looking back, Im glad my circumstances changed because frankly at the time Im not sure if I had the nous and maturity to do the job.
    Now I'm committed to aplying for the right reasons and will actually be taking a significant cut in pay and benefits to join.

And things will need to be black and white if any of us get in. There will be no shades of grey on reports or in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Russler

I didnt think it was silly actually. I said you have an opinion - but thats all it is.
    Until someone has passed the two year mark and is succesfully doing actual police work then they cant say if it was the right thing for them and if frankly, theyre any good.

I didnt actually bring up 50:50 either. I think in the circumstances, 50:50 is fine, I dont have a problem with it.
    I have a problem with people applying for the wrong reasons and being able to apply an unlimited number of times - being able to pass the IST and AC after years of trying and getting the right answers through elimination is not merit.

Strange that you think there is nothing wrong with the 50:50 system but you don't agree with people applying multiple times:rolleyes:

Surely applying a few times shows determination and a willingness to do the job?

Personally I think the sooner the 50:50 system is no longer required the better. How many good candidates have lost out to poorer performers purely due to their religious upbringing I wonder.

Only in Northern Ireland is this system seen to be 'acceptable' :D:D:D.

Oh well as people on here have said 'we all knew what we signed up for'.

Reminds me of George Orwells Animal Farm 'all police officers are created equal but some are more equal than others!!'

Russler over and out!:eek:

Russler wrote: »
    Strange that you think there is nothing wrong with the 50:50 system but you don't agree with people applying multiple times:rolleyes:

Surely applying a few times shows determination and a willingness to do the job?

Personally I think the sooner the 50:50 system is no longer required the better. How many good candidates have lost out to poorer performers purely due to their religious upbringing I wonder.

Only in Northern Ireland is this system seen to be 'acceptable' :D:D:D.

Oh well as people on here have said 'we all knew what we signed up for'.

Reminds me of George Orwells Animal Farm 'all police officers are created equal but some are more equal than others!!'

Russler over and out!:eek:

There is nothing wrong with the 50:50 system at the moment. In that 50% RC and 50% non-RC are selected. I'm non-RC by the way.
    Non-RCs just need to be the very best.

Multiple applications are a separate thing entirely. Imagine if there was a limit of 5 times. We might have 4,000 applicants every cycle rather than over 8,000.

Applying multiple times does not show willingness to do the job. It shows determination yes - but you're not climbing Everest here, you're filling in some forms, doing a written test and Assessment.

There is nothing wrong with the 50:50 system at the moment. In that 50% RC and 50% non-RC are selected. I'm non-RC by the way.

Multiple applications are a separate thing entirely. Imagine if there was a limit of 5 times. We might have 4,000 applicants every cycle rather than over 8,000.

Applying multiple times does not show willingness to do the job. It shows determination yes - but you're not climbing Everest here, you're filling in some forms, doing a written test and Assessment.

I disagree with you but respect your opinion:D

My opinion is that the 50:50 split is a necessary evil to move the PSNI into the 21st century but I don't like it, don't think it's at all fair and look forward to the time it's no longer a deciding factor in the recruitment process. Then we will know for certain that the best people get in irrespective of their background.

P.S. I think you've contradicted yourself ' There is nothing wrong with the 50:50 system at the moment. In that 50% RC and 50% non-RC are selected. I'm non-RC by the way. Non-RCs just need to be the very best'.

Not very fair is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Misterjay

For what my opinion is worth - people should be allowed to apply as many times as they want for the duration that the 50:50 rule is in play. The system is not based purely on merit. If it was, then the religion you were born into would not be taken into account.

I accept that you did not bring up the issue of 50:50. My bringing it up was simply to demonstrate that while the system is not truly fair, candidates should be allowed to apply as often as they wish. I agree that when it is truly based on merit then there are good grounds to restrict the number of times you can apply.

Good discussion though.

• Advertisement

I think it was Robert the Bruce who said 'If at first you don't succeed try, try again...'

I've done this 3 times and the first two times I applied because of the pay and because I wanted to do something different.

Passed everything bar the medical on the first two occasions (failed both times for high BMI which I have now corrected thankfully!).

I know this time that I really want to do the job and I'm glad the first two times I didn't get in as I probably wouldn't have been prepared properly as you've mentioned.

However, why should I not be allowed to apply for this job everytime it comes up? Personally, I feel that people who apply multiple times are actually a better prospect than those who maybe get in first time and then think to themselves 'don't know if I want to do this now' (there are people like that as I've read on here that people sometimes don't bother to turn up on the first days training!).

This is a serious job and as the DVD says one of the hardest in the world so people who apply for it need to think carefully about why they are applying in the first place.

Might be an idea to bar all those with a merit score above 500 from applying again? No? Didn't think anybody would like that one!!

It's a free for all and that's the way it should stay. Once 50:50 goes the best people will get the call and we'll all be treated fairly:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Personally I think debates on 50/50 are fruitless and pointless - the system is in place for now but while it lasts I think it would be unfair to cap the number of times a person may apply .
    It would be worth remembering that not only does the P.S.N.I. need to reach a certain level of RC membership as per Patten but it also needs to maintain that level - therefore it may prove nescessary for some future
    ' tweaking ' of recruitment procedures - time will tell .

I am glad that this debate has a least got folks posting again , this forum had recently become as lively as a morgue and its good to see others are still alive out there. Congratulations to those Boards.ie veterans who last week got the fabled call to go to Garnerville , I hope they still drop in from time to time.

I think it was Robert the Bruce who said 'If at first you don't succeed try, try again...'

I've done this 3 times and the first two times I applied because of the pay and because I wanted to do something different.

Passed everything bar the medical on the first two occasions (failed both times for high BMI which I have now corrected thankfully!).

I know this time that I really want to do the job and I'm glad the first two times I didn't get in as I probably wouldn't have been prepared properly as you've mentioned.

However, why should I not be allowed to apply for this job everytime it comes up? Personally, I feel that people who apply multiple times are actually a better prospect than those who maybe get in first time and then think to themselves 'don't know if I want to do this now' (there are people like that as I've read on here that people sometimes don't bother to turn up on the first days training!).

This is a serious job and as the DVD says one of the hardest in the world so people who apply for it need to think carefully about why they are applying in the first place.

Might be an idea to bar all those with a merit score above 500 from applying again? No? Didn't think anybody would like that one!!

It's a free for all and that's the way it should stay. Once 50:50 goes the best people will get the call and we'll all be treated fairly:D

If there was a limit to the number of times you could apply, you would have made sure you didnt fail the BMI test twice though right? If in doubt, you would have not applied or committing yourself to passing it the second time. As it is, your second application was doomed.

Personally, I feel that people who apply multiple times are actually a better prospect than those who maybe get in first time and then think to themselves 'don't know if I want to do this now' (there are people like that as I've read on here that people sometimes don't bother to turn up on the first days training!).
    That doesn't make any sense. How are they a better prospect? Because they keep applying? Like I said before, the application process isnt rocket science.
    If someone doesnt turn up then there is a place for someone else - its just as much of a waste as someone applying and being unprepared.

Robert the Bruce may not be the best person to quote either.

If there was a limit to the number of times you could apply, you would have made sure you didnt fail the BMI test twice though right? If in doubt, you would have not applied or committing yourself to passing it the second time. As it is, your second application was doomed.

Personally, I feel that people who apply multiple times are actually a better prospect than those who maybe get in first time and then think to themselves 'don't know if I want to do this now' (there are people like that as I've read on here that people sometimes don't bother to turn up on the first days training!).
    That doesn't make any sense. How are they a better prospect? Because they keep applying? Like I said before, the application process isnt rocket science.
    If someone doesnt turn up then there is a place for someone else - its just as much of a waste as someone applying and being unprepared.

Robert the Bruce may not be the best person to quote either.

Maybe...just maybe I'm a better person for having to go through this whole process 3 times. Remember taking your driving test?

How many first time passers have killed themselves or others due to raking round the country with too little experience and too much speed I wonder:rolleyes:. Would they have been a better (i.e safer) driver if they had to do the test 2 or 3 times? Who knows.

It's a bit short sighted to write people off just because they have had to apply multiple times before they get in. Using your own logic you'd not be able to apply the second time;)

It took me three times to realise I really really want to do this job.

Let's agree to disagree mate.

Or lets agree to actually read my posts before you type.

I didn't mention anything about only having one chance to apply - that would be stupid.
    I said I wished there was a limit on the number of times. Even if it was an arbitary number - say five applications.

And why even bring driving tests into it? There is no correlation between road deaths and the number of times people do their tests. None whatsoever.

It's irrelevant anyway, no-one actually pays attention to anyone on the internet.

I didn't mention anything about only having one chance to apply - that would be stupid.
    I said I wished there was a limit on the number of times. Even if it was an arbitary number - say five applications.

And why even bring driving tests into it? There is no correlation between road deaths and the number of times people do their tests. None whatsoever.

It's irrelevant anyway, no-one actually pays attention to anyone on the internet.

Calm down love.....no need to rant:)

Mearly trying to point out that just because people apply multiple times it doesn't make them a 'worse' candidate than the person who gets in first time.

You never put a limit on the number of applications in your posts so I think my point about you not being able to reapply is a valid one.

Maybe you'd be better to re-read you own post before berating others:rolleyes:

Pip Pip Toodaloo:eek:

Calm down love.....no need to rant:)

Mearly trying to point out that just because people apply multiple times it doesn't make them a 'worse' candidate than the person who gets in first time.

You never put a limit on the number of applications in your posts so I think my point about you not being able to reapply is a valid one.

Maybe you'd be better to re-read you own post before berating others:rolleyes:

Pip Pip Toodaloo:eek:

I said there should be a limit on the number of times you can apply.

All the best with your third application.

Same to everyone, I wont bother posting any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Bifbert

One of my dearest friends who is now a serving member of the psni had to apply five times to get in. He is very intelligent and a great person, level headed etc etc. What I am trying to say is that he has all these qualities which are suited to being a police officer yet it took him five times.

His father was a member of the RUC and he wanted to do nothing but be a police officer from a young age. He worked s&*t jobs while he was applying and persevered until he got it. He came top of his brigade in a lot of the assessments in Garnerville yet it still took him five times to get in. Go figure?

My opinion is that it would be totally unfair even more so than the system is now ( I'm not getting into that) to effectively bar people from applying after a certain amount of times. I personally think there is a lot of luck to be had to get in. p.s he passed everything 4/5 times just got a dear john those times. oh yeah and you two should really give it a break with this forum arguing its getting really old REALLY fast :)

Love a good argument me....should stand me in good stead if I get in:D

Only kidding.....I agree 100% with you and your friends experiences are a case in point for not writing off those who persevere in reapplying until they get the dream job they always wanted.

Everybody has an opinion and is entitled to it so I'll say no more on the matter:)

• Advertisement

No, its not. I applied four years ago for the wrong reason at the time. I liked the salary and was having a hard time in my job. I passed the AC and IST, medical and vetting.
    Basically, the circumstances in my then-job changed and I asked the PSNI to withdraw my application.

Looking back, Im glad my circumstances changed because frankly at the time Im not sure if I had the nous and maturity to do the job.
    Now I'm committed to aplying for the right reasons and will actually be taking a significant cut in pay and benefits to join.

And things will need to be black and white if any of us get in. There will be no shades of grey on reports or in court.

You seem slightly irritated my friend.;)

Well just to let you know, there are plenty of grey areas in the law. It's called interpretation,courts in some cases may make a strict interpretation of the legislation or in other cases they may take a broader approach. Courts do not work as a mechanical & uniform machine, in fact, the judicial system as a whole is a flawed animal in many, many areas. It's constantly evolving with new cases & different interpretations of statutes & legislation not to mention new laws. You'll find that the law & the way it is enforced is very much a mirror reflection of society at the time,the government of the day will have different priorities, for example, declassify cannabis, dish out asbos (in fact create asbos). The law is also heavily influenced by the media but this is not a lesson in Criminology & Criminal Justice here.

If you get into court in front of defence counsel you'll soon realize the grey areas very quickly. Check out some case law & see for yourself, i guarantee you will be disappointed with your present view. You'll do well to remember that.

So i'll say again, not everything is black & white & IF you get in you will find that out for yourself.

You seem to have a very dismissive attitude going on, a degree of tunnel vision there. You have to be able to listen, take things on board & learn;)

Advertisement