Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Louisiana 1927

ImpRex wrote: »
    I said there should be a limit on the number of times you can apply.

All the best with your third application.

Same to everyone, I wont bother posting any more.

just because people don't agree with you? Now why would you go because of that?

Stick around & read some other peoples experiences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Fo

Russler wrote: »
    My opinion is that the 50:50 split is a necessary evil to move the PSNI into the 21st century but I don't like it, don't think it's at all fair
    Did any of you non-RC's stop to think about all those decades of discrimination against Catholics, who may have wanted to be a part of the Police Service at the time(RUC) ?!?!?!

non-RCs as a whole, have never had a reason to feel uncomfortable with the police presence in their community, but RCs have. RCs need to feel comfortable too, then in time maybe there will be less majority-catholic areas violently attacking the police.

I can 100% understand why 50:50 discrimination infuriates non-RCs, but you have to look at the bigger picture if you want to be out there, on the streets, policing modern communities.

I genuinely feel so grateful that Catholics are being invited to join PSNI, there is no other career I want to devote my life to.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Misterjay

Fo wrote: »
    Did any of you non-RC's stop to think about all those decades of discrimination against Catholics, who may have wanted to be a part of the Police Service at the time(RUC) ?!?!?!

non-RCs as a whole, have never had a reason to feel uncomfortable with the police presence in their community, but RCs have. RCs need to feel comfortable too, then in time maybe there will be less majority-catholic areas violently attacking the police.

I can 100% understand why 50:50 discrimination infuriates non-RCs, but you have to look at the bigger picture if you want to be out there, on the streets, policing modern communities.

I genuinely feel so grateful that Catholics are being invited to join PSNI, there is no other career I want to devote my life to.

Fo,

A few comments on your last post. Please do take them in the spirit they are given - ie a bit of banter and a healthy discussion:

1. Decades of discrimination against Catholics, who may have wanted to be a part of the Police Service - To the best of my knowledge, the Police did not discriminate against Catholics trying to join. The reason I believe not enough Catholics joined was mainly to do with the fact that they would have been ostracized by their own family/community. Those Catholics who did join during these 'decades of discrmination' were treated as equals. I know this through experience as a Catholic family member of mine served with distinction for almost 30 years.

2. 'non-RCs as a whole, have never had a reason to feel uncomfortable with the police presence in their community, but RCs have' - There is a big factor missing from this comment - a so-called political conflict for 30 years. The Police (with the support of the Army) had to police certain areas in a certain way due to the threat. I welcome that most communities now accept a 'legitimate' police service. This is the main reason the police can now almost provide normal policing.

3. 'I can 100% understand why 50:50 discrimination infuriates non-RCs, but you have to look at the bigger picture if you want to be out there, on the streets, policing modern communities.' - I do not agree with the 50:50 policy. You called it 50:50 discrimination. I have always disagreed with discrimination regardless of what or who is affected by it. In addition I would never let my own personal views get in the way of doing my job, whether I am policing modern communities or working in an office or the like.

4. 'I genuinely feel so grateful that Catholics are being invited to join PSNI, there is no other career I want to devote my life to.' Catholics were never not invited to join the Police. I very much welcome that NI is gradually geting to a place where ALL communities can support the Police, either by joining up or even passing information on to them. Sadly, I feel we are not totally there yet. But we will get there.

Now that's all over - what the prices of pints and mixers like in GV? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Russler

I have no problem with the PSNI getting to a 50% RC and 50% non RC split - in fact I'm all for it (I am non but have many RC friends so I have no issues with religion).

And I fully appreciate the past issues with the RUC (I'm 34 so can remember a little of the way it used to be) and agree that it's great that RC's now feel that they can join the police.

My issue is with the fact that people with a better merit score than others are discriminated against because of their religious background. That is not fair.

All I want is to be treated on merit and at the minute it's a lottery as to whether you get in or not based on merit and religion.

It can't be a fair process when a non with a merit score of 370 doesn't get in but an RC in the 900's does?

Anyways - nothing we can do about it:)

Discussion - yes. Banter - no. It's hardly a lighthearted topic.
    Misterjay wrote: »
    The reason I believe not enough Catholics joined was mainly to do with the fact that they would have been ostracized by their own family/community.
    And perhaps their co-workers too!
    Misterjay wrote: »
    In addition I would never let my own personal views get in the way of doing my job, whether I am policing modern communities or working in an office or the like.
    I would hope so! I feel the same :)

• Advertisement

It can't be a fair process when a non with a merit score of 370 doesn't get in but an RC in the 900's does?

Anyways - nothing we can do about it:)

Russler, you do make a valid point. But again, it's all in aid of making N.Ireland a more peaceful place & reducing sectarianism.

There once was a time when women couldn't apply for the same jobs as men, and then after that changed, women just weren't getting paid as much as men for doing the same role!

This 50:50 policy is just another step society must take...the goal at the end is equality.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Guys are you aware there is a Politics forum on boards? If you want a good discussion on 50/50, this would be the place to raise the issue.

Discussion - yes. Banter - no. It's hardly a lighthearted topic.

And perhaps their co-workers too!

I would hope so! I feel the same :)

Fair enough - it's not really banter. I just wanted you to appreciate that I was not getting at you - just commenting.

'And perhaps their co-workers too!' - It would be foolish of anyone to think that there were not instances of discrimination. Within an organisation of thousands, there will always be a few bad apples. But that is not just restricted to the police or to religion. It happens in every community, society etc. That does not make it right and we should all work towards getting rid of 'discrimination'.

In my view 2 wrongs do not make a right. That is why I disagree with 50:50. As recently as 1988 (and possible later) the RUC had a policy that male applicants to the RUC Regular had to be at least 5'8" (and I think 5'4" for female). How many potentially good officers did not even get the chance because of their height? Why did the police not introduce a 50:50 height rule to take corrective action on this topic? Because it would have been wrong to do so.

I accept we are where we are and I do realise why some believe positive discrimination needs to apply. But I do not agree with it. It should be based on merit alone.

However we are coming out of an extraordinary situation and maybe extraordinary things needed to happen.

But the sooner we are all confident of being treated equally, the better.

Now can anyone tell me the prices of drink in GV? :)

psni wrote: »
    Guys are you aware there is a Politics forum on boards? If you want a good discussion on 50/50, this would be the place to raise the issue.

Apologies - it just sort of developed.

Thanks for the guidance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 ImpRex

Breaking my own embargo but:

Bifbert
    Great, Im happy for your friend. You I think its fair to say that you dont know the real reason behind him taking five goes though.
    Maybe he was an exception, who knows for sure?
    The limit on number of applications is in place in alot of the mainland UK forces.

Louisiana1927
    I have applied for the PSNI. At this stage, I wont be in charge of policy and I wont be joining a law firm.
    There does need to be black & white in terms of facts. If youre not 100% behind what you say in court, the defence will destroy your testimony. Shades of grey are the defence counsel's worry, not mine.

If my posts had been part of the IST, yourself and Russler would have failed that section. Russler mainly because he didnt read them properly and didnt display an understanding.

I dont see how my opinion is a dismissive attitude any more than anyone else - please explain. I posted an opinion based on the huge numbers of people that apply every year and that GB forces have limits. Pretty much everyone has posted to say I'm wrong.
    Not based on facts, but based on hearsay, their own opinions and fear of the 50:50 rule.

Im happy enough to keep reading, but really dont see the point in making any more posts.
    There is some good info and advice - mainly from psni - but I dont really need a support group. Especially since some folks here are so patronising - yourself included. I dont say how you could say I'm annoyed. I havent typed in all caps, I havent sworn or called anyone names and I havent used 'smileys' (see how many of them you can fit in an incident report).

• Advertisement

I think it's time we all put the handbags down and called a truce:rolleyes:

We're never gonna agree and won't obviously be swayed to the other persons way of thinking.

Roll on the merit pool at the end of the month I say!

Breaking my own embargo but:

Bifbert
    Great, Im happy for your friend. You I think its fair to say that you dont know the real reason behind him taking five goes though.
    Maybe he was an exception, who knows for sure?
    The limit on number of applications is in place in alot of the mainland UK forces.

Louisiana1927
    I have applied for the PSNI. At this stage, I wont be in charge of policy and I wont be joining a law firm.
    There does need to be black & white in terms of facts. If youre not 100% behind what you say in court, the defence will destroy your testimony. Shades of grey are the defence counsel's worry, not mine.

If my posts had been part of the IST, yourself and Russler would have failed that section. Russler mainly because he didnt read them properly and didnt display an understanding.

I dont see how my opinion is a dismissive attitude any more than anyone else - please explain. I posted an opinion based on the huge numbers of people that apply every year and that GB forces have limits. Pretty much everyone has posted to say I'm wrong.
    Not based on facts, but based on hearsay, their own opinions and fear of the 50:50 rule.

Im happy enough to keep reading, but really dont see the point in making any more posts.
    There is some good info and advice - mainly from psni - but I dont really need a support group. Especially since some folks here are so patronising - yourself included. I dont say how you could say I'm annoyed. I havent typed in all caps, I havent sworn or called anyone names and I havent used 'smileys' (see how many of them you can fit in an incident report).

I knew you couldn't resist posting again, you are so predictable & i look forward to your next post:pac::pac:.

If you believe patronising is being able to talk about something that you clearly haven't a baldy about yet, like to pipe about, then that's me!!!

It's obvious you stand out from everybody on most things,not a good quality to have. Don't you think it strange that most of the people on here react the way you do to what you say? How can you not LISTEN & take things on board, clearly not a team player:P How on earth would you function in the police??? Errm i know,you wouldn't!

What are youlike,i don'tneed a support group! Grow up. Your attitude stinks mate.

Hurry up & repost. Oh & here's a few more smileys for you:):):):):rolleyes:;):D:pac::p:eek::cool:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Gonetoosoon

This is getting serious!:eek:

Probably not the right place to ask but I have raised it elsewhere and not got an answer.

When exactly do the merit lists come out? Do we know for sure? And how do we find out our own score?

One other thing; should I be concerned about finding out my IST score?:rolleyes:

Sorry for all the questions!:confused:

P.s. "(see how many of them you can fit in an incident report)." - Don't tell me they are limited to fifteen too!:P

I knew you couldn't resist posting again, you are so predictable & i look forward to your next post:pac::pac:.

If you believe patronising is being able to talk about something that you clearly haven't a baldy about yet, like to pipe about, then that's me!!!

It's obvious you stand out from everybody on most things,not a good quality to have. Don't you think it strange that most of the people on here react the way you do to what you say? How can you not LISTEN & take things on board, clearly not a team player:P How on earth would you function in the police??? Errm i know,you wouldn't!

What are youlike,i don'tneed a support group! Grow up. Your attitude stinks mate.

Hurry up & repost. Oh & here's a few more smileys for you:):):):):rolleyes:;):D:pac::p:eek::cool:.

You dont like to stand out from other people? I dont mind it myself.

Looking back, its probably not strange that most people on here react the way they did to my original post. I can read, I can appreciate why people think what they do.
    You have a wrong impression of what being a team player is as well. It doesnt mean going along with majority thought unless you genuinely agree. I tend not to in this case. Thats fine.
    This is an internet site and we can post thoughts and opinions here (within reason) that we wouldnt necessarily share in person with other applicants.

We'll see if I can function in the police or not - thats the first time Ive seen anyone post on these boards that someone else wouldnt be able to function in the police by the way.
    I haven't even done that and I'm like the devil round these parts.

And telling me to grow up? Come on.

You dont like to stand out from other people? I dont mind it myself.

Looking back, its probably not strange that most people on here react the way they did to my original post. I can read, I can appreciate why people think what they do.
    You have a wrong impression of what being a team player is as well. It doesnt mean going along with majority thought unless you genuinely agree. I tend not to in this case. Thats fine.
    This is an internet site and we can post thoughts and opinions here (within reason) that we wouldnt necessarily share in person with other applicants.

We'll see if I can function in the police or not - thats the first time Ive seen anyone post on these boards that someone else wouldnt be able to function in the police by the way.
    I haven't even done that and I'm like the devil round these parts.

And telling me to grow up? Come on.

Mr Devil have you heard of the Infinite Monkey Theorem?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭MustBeCrazy

This is getting serious!:eek:

Probably not the right place to ask but I have raised it elsewhere and not got an answer.

When exactly do the merit lists come out? Do we know for sure? And how do we find out our own score?

One other thing; should I be concerned about finding out my IST score?:rolleyes:

Sorry for all the questions!:confused:

P.s. "(see how many of them you can fit in an incident report)." - Don't tell me they are limited to fifteen too!:P

Hey gonetoosoon

As everyone else seems a little *ahem* busy to answer your questions I thought I would give it a go.

Merit lists from what I can remember came out end of September/start of October. Normally you will only find out for sure when someone on here posts to say they got theirs (at least that's how it happened last year). You have to ring recruitment to find out your merit score, armed with your candidate number. And there isn't really any need to find out your IST score. I don't remember anyone finding out last year, although I know a few have this year.
    Hope that answers a few of your questions.

Can we now get the board back on track? Good as it is to actually have some posts to read for a change, I think everyone has made their point. It is a pity that people just can't agree to disagree as everyone has valid points and is entitled to their opinion without it turning into a slanging match of I'm right and you're wrong.

Lecture over, MBC x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 erneboy

Hey gonetoosoon

As everyone else seems a little *ahem* busy to answer your questions I thought I would give it a go.

Merit lists from what I can remember came out end of September/start of October. Normally you will only find out for sure when someone on here posts to say they got theirs (at least that's how it happened last year). You have to ring recruitment to find out your merit score, armed with your candidate number. And there isn't really any need to find out your IST score. I don't remember anyone finding out last year, although I know a few have this year.
    Hope that answers a few of your questions.

Can we now get the board back on track? Good as it is to actually have some posts to read for a change, I think everyone has made their point. It is a pity that people just can't agree to disagree as everyone has valid points and is entitled to their opinion without it turning into a slanging match of I'm right and you're wrong.

Lecture over, MBC x

Thanks MBC.

I am sure there are plenty of us C15ers who wanted to know this. I just need to pass my PCA first or it will not matter to me but as that is soon at least it takes some of the edge off the waiting.

Fair point MBC, it's been one of those days today, very irritable :mad:

Not like me usually;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭dark side

I haven't posted on here in a while and I won't be posting again.
    The usual biases and one sided opinion that rip our community apart are alive and well on this forum, and I hope that I never have the displesure of serving with some of you if I ever make it in.

Everyone should wait to see how high or low their merit score is this year before spouting of about the fairness or unfairness of the merit system.
    Roughly 40% of applications this year were from Catholics, it looks as if the advantage they have is not going to be around much longer.

There is an excuse for not passing the IST or AC well enough first time around.
    2nd time around you have no excuse, - if you aren't scoring high enough in the AC your second time round, perhaps it could be because your responses aren't in zync with the attitude that is required to be a police officer, and no matter how much you would like to be a police officer maybe its not the career for you, even if your dad and your daddys daddy and his daddy to were all policemen.

Amen.

Even if I am one of the folks you wouldnt want to serve with.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

dark side wrote: »
    The usual biases and one sided opinion that rip our community apart are alive and well on this forum.

Usual biases? Where and what are they? There are ways of bringing posts to moderators' attention but this is hardly helpful?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Slave_To_Sound

Well that was fun at least it gave me something to read on here for a change.
    I know this part of boards is mainly for info but personally I find a bit of heated debate good all the niceness gets boring after a while :D
    Some people need to chill out with being so serious. These boards aren't part of your training your not in GV, your not in a courtroom so stop getting so high and mighty its the freaking internet anyway have fun children and play nice :)

The usual biases and one sided opinion that rip our community apart are alive and well on this forum, and I hope that I never have the displesure of serving with some of you if I ever make it in.

Everyone should wait to see how high or low their merit score is this year before spouting of about the fairness or unfairness of the merit system.
    Roughly 40% of applications this year were from Catholics, it looks as if the advantage they have is not going to be around much longer.

There is an excuse for not passing the IST or AC well enough first time around.
    2nd time around you have no excuse, - if you aren't scoring high enough in the AC your second time round, perhaps it could be because your responses aren't in zync with the attitude that is required to be a police officer, and no matter how much you would like to be a police officer maybe its not the career for you, even if your dad and your daddys daddy and his daddy to were all policemen.

Before you get all defensive I'm not having a go at you, merely commenting on what I think are inaccuracies:

1. 'The usual biases and one sided opinion that rip our community apart are alive and well on this forum, and I hope that I never have the displesure of serving with some of you if I ever make it in.' - Come on you cannot really have taken that from the comments on this board. What is wrong with having a discussion about certain issues. I agree some people do get their backs up if they think they are being picked on. Or they are wrong. It's only a feckin discussion board. Ref hoping you never have the displeasure - teamwork mate. If you are not a team player you will not enjoy it. That is not to say you turn a blind eye to wrong though. Once people put the uniform on ALL prejudice and preconditions must not be displayed.

2. 'There is an excuse for not passing the IST or AC well enough first time around. 2nd time around you have no excuse' - Just passing both is not enough - it obviously depends on your order of merit. But then it's not just on merit, is it?

3. 'even if your dad and your daddys daddy and his daddy to were all policemen' - Hey you could be onto a slogan for the next recruitment campaign. Louisiana drawl required for the voiceover! :)

Like I have said before, I find this forum really useful. I do not see it as a support group nor do I need one - it's just a bunch of people from different backgrounds with the same personal goal as me - to join the PSNI. I wish all of you good luck in C14 or C15. ;)

Boring! Let's change the subject - I'm hungry....whats everybody got for their lunch today:D

Boring! Let's change the subject - I'm hungry....whats everybody got for their lunch today:D

Lol. A crisp 10 euro dolla to buy my lunch in town. It's Friday. The sun is out. I feel a spot of City Hall people watching is required.

Enjoy your weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 erneboy

I am going for a nice Tuna mayo sambo!!!

Roll on the weekend!:):D:D

Got me a tuna salad from M&S......hmmmmmm....tasty:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭pablissimo

Friday is Tuna Mayo day in Subway...

Smells like fish, tastes like dolphin. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Bifbert

and I hope that I never have the displesure of serving with some of you if I ever make it in..

And the same to yourself :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Slave_To_Sound

Hey fellow patients , are people still receiving vetting/medical forms or is that it now? I know nothing is set in stone as to the way things run but just curious as the excitement of passing the AC has worn off now and I need something else to keep my hopes alive (and read on here:D).
    I don't mean to be annoying, I know this requires major patience but it is something that would change my life dramatically. So i'm entitled to be curious every now and then ha ha.

Advertisement