Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 adam2695

I wouldn't think so, people where getting vetting and medical forms from July, so they would have had no idea if they would be in the top scores bracket. If they went from past years, then fair enough, but I think it is just such a random process. As I have said before, I know a few guys that did very well in the IST and thought they had done better in the A/C than previous years, and they havn't received anything.

Just have to wait until they decide to put us out of our misery, but I know one thing, I would be well annoyed with the amount of times that people would be ringing me and asking.... They should just say, "give us a ring on such a day and they should be ready", instead of saying "I am not at liberty to divulge that information" lol... Just annoys everybody!!

Not good either that I have just been told that I have to leave my job at the end of next month!!! Relying on getting a good merit score now more than ever!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 siv4444

exactly adam!!
    what do you mean by ist, is that the first test we did? how do you know they did well from it are we able to find out???

Yeah, the initial selection test. You can e-mail them with your name and your number, and ask them to post out the results of your IST and they do just that. I got mine within 3 days. Its out of 75 and I got 59 which I was happy enough with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 siv4444

aw no way thats terrible, even more pressure on you, well i wish you all the best

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Gonetoosoon

So who is calling again in the morning?:D

No sense us all calling to be told the same thing!:rolleyes:

Well I called today, so i think it is someone elses turn!! Bright and early people....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Pcpete2009

adam2695 wrote: »
    I wouldn't think so, people where getting vetting and medical forms from July, so they would have had no idea if they would be in the top scores bracket. If they went from past years, then fair enough, but I think it is just such a random process. As I have said before, I know a few guys that did very well in the IST and thought they had done better in the A/C than previous years, and they havn't received anything.

Just have to wait until they decide to put us out of our misery, but I know one thing, I would be well annoyed with the amount of times that people would be ringing me and asking.... They should just say, "give us a ring on such a day and they should be ready", instead of saying "I am not at liberty to divulge that information" lol... Just annoys everybody!!

Well I have to agree that this process is extremely random, there is absolutely no reason why they can't tell you an exact date as to when the merit scores are out!! Without having the merit scores we can only speculate as to how random it is!!! However some clarification can be gained from http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2007/em/uksiem_20070912_en.pdf which is a piece of legislation which aims to clarify the appointments of officers, it basically prevents the PSNI from putting people through the medical and vetting process if they have no real chance of appointment subject to 50;50!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Pcpete2009 wrote: »
    it basically prevents the PSNI from putting people through the medical and vetting process if they have no real chance of appointment subject to 50;50!!

That's not strictly true. They need to have enough people to fill places of people who decline the job for whatever reason. Just because you have been vetted and passed your medical doesn't mean you're automatically in.

Example: 440 places. X number don't take the job. They need X number of people prepped and ready to dial. That's why knowing your merit number will help you assess whether you're definitely in, definitely out, or on a reserve list.

psni wrote: »
    That's not strictly true. They need to have enough people to fill places of people who decline the job for whatever reason. Just because you have been vetted and passed your medical doesn't mean you're automatically in.

Example: 440 places. X number don't take the job. They need X number of people prepped and ready to dial. That's why knowing your merit number will help you assess whether you're definitely in, definitely out, or on a reserve list.

Cheers this was sort of what I tried to say but didn't quite explain it as well as PSNI!!! What I can say for certian is whole thing is very random and everyones experience is extremely different!!

Give us those merit numbers and stop stringen the majority of us along!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

It's awful isn't it? I can't see why they don't just post everyone's merit pool number out to them and make it as transparent as possible.

Right guys, whos ringing today????

Just did. A couple more weeks they rekon!:(

Thats madness, end of September my ***

You said it. I guess we just have to try to forget that the whole process is happening for another month rather than working ourselves up.

Perhaps they are trying to get more people through medicals, vetting, etc. before releasing it though I am not sure that would matter as I understood scores are based on A/c performance.

As the Beatles liked to sing "Let it be, let it be, let it be, let it be"!:D

An insider has told me that the first rounds of dear john letters are out in the post today and tomorrow!!! Bracing myself for impact

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 elizabeth2009

yeah, when i was on the phone the other day to change my address details they told me that i had to send them it in writting asap because they were posting out some letters very shortly!

An insider has told me that the first rounds of dear john letters are out in the post today and tomorrow!!! Bracing myself for impact

Crickey O'Reilly!:eek:

Now we have no merit scores and we have to fret over what may arrive in the post!

This whole process is one happy stroll in the park!:P

Not good, not liking hearing that to be honest.... Everybody keep thinking positive tho

Hey PcPete. How relaible would you say this insider is? I guess some of us may find out soon enough!

Did he or she have anything to say about the merit list, like when it will be released, why there has been a hold up, etc.?

Does anyone know how many people passed the A/c to begin with? I am just wondering if like half of all remaining candidates will be getting 'dear Johns' or whether it will only be relatively few at this stage!?:confused:

• Advertisement

Hey PcPete. How relaible would you say this insider is? I guess some of us may find out soon enough!

Did he or she have anything to say about the merit list, like when it will be released, why there has been a hold up, etc.?

Does anyone know how many people passed the A/c to begin with? I am just wondering if like half of all remaining candidates will be getting 'dear Johns' or whether it will only be relatively few at this stage!?:confused:

Not sure!! But she has no reason to lie!! All she really said was that they are sending letters out!! She said that she thinks they have the merit list but she thinks they want to manage the phonecalls a bit better this year, and they are letting those who are not in with a chance know (dear John) and telling those who are on the list that they are on it!!

Apparently they don't have to release merit numbers at all!!

Anyone heard that before?

Apparently they don't have to release merit numbers at all!!
    They could try it, but AFAIK they're on shaky legal ground by withholding this information if you were to stick in an FOI request. They don't have any reasonable grounds for not giving it to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Slave_To_Sound

Well thanks just fannnnnntastic. Its just like a game show all this tension and stress for no reason but Im sure it amusing someone somewhere locked away in an office :)

PcPete: "they are letting those who are not in with a chance know (dear John) and telling those who are on the list that they are on it!!"

I know it is not safe to assume anything but since I have done vetting and a medical it would be very strange if they just told me I have no chance now. It wouldnt make sense would it?!

And by the above does your friend mean if we simply ask whether we are on the list we will be told yes or no??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Bifbert

PcPete: "they are letting those who are not in with a chance know (dear John) and telling those who are on the list that they are on it!!"

I know it is not safe to assume anything but since I have done vetting and a medical it would be very strange if they just told me I have no chance now. It wouldnt make sense would it?!

And by the above does your friend mean if we simply ask whether we are on the list we will be told yes or no??

yeah lucky you! I still haven't got vetting/med forms so if this malarky about getting dear johns sent is true i'm not feeling to confident :(

If anyone gets a 'dear john' please let us know. I will do likewise if Im not ignoring the post. It would just be good to know if anything is happening in this process.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭MrsMikeLowrey

Just spoke to Recruitment, they cannot advise any details of merit list, but did confirm that letters are going out to ALL applicants yesterday and today! EEK, feeling a little sick now :eek:

Just spoke to Recruitment, they cannot advise any details of merit list, but did confirm that letters are going out to ALL applicants yesterday and today! EEK, feeling a little sick now :eek:

All applicants!?!:eek:

At least we should know one way or another what is happening. Perhaps they are advising everyone of their merit score/not successful. That would make more sense and give the people answering the phones up there a bit of a break!

Just hope these letters do clarify things and that its good news for all the boardies!:o

Now who is gonna get theirs first? I live in the sticks so I would say I will be lucky to get it before monday!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Slave_To_Sound

Brilliant news ! at least there will be some sort of clarity now its definitely better knowing either way instead of being kept in the dark.
    Of course i want to get the job but if I have no chance I really want to know so I can get on with things until next campaign.

Good luck everyone hold on tight!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Bubba1981

I've just nipped home from work to check and there's no post - could be they're using 2nd class post to save the pennies so I wouldn't worry if nothing's received today or tomorrow.

Advertisement