Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Russler

So frustrating not knowing:mad:

I checked last night all the old correspondance I've had from C13 and C14 and both times the letter I got is exactly the same as the one sent out this time.

That means if I hadn't have failed the medical twice I'd be out on the streets already.......damn!

I really hope they don't keep us hanging on much longer as it's all I think about for most of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Billybates81

Only another 5 or so weeks to wait to see who is in the next entry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 mcb2009

Russler wrote: »
    I That means if I hadn't have failed the medical twice I'd be out on the streets already.......damn!

Hey Russler, do you mind me being very nosy and asking what you failed for? I've become a total hypochondriac in the past few days and for some irrational reason am worried I won't pass. There's absolutely no reason why I would fail that I can think of but there you go!

Hi mate

Both times the fail was for BMI over 30.

I'm six foot three but used to be nearly 18 stone - I'm now about 16.5 stone and just sneaked in with a BMI of 29.7:eek:

Everything else was grand - I wear contacts and there was no problems with eyesight test.

The lung capacity test is the hardest one - I smoked for 16 years giving up two years ago. I can feel that I've done some damage over the years and found it really hard to keep blowing into the tube until told to stop.

If your reasonably healthy you have no probs mate - don't worry about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 kazo

Russler wrote: »
    I checked last night all the old correspondance I've had from C13 and C14 and both times the letter I got is exactly the same as the one sent out this time.

That means if I hadn't have failed the medical twice I'd be out on the streets already.......damn!

I really hope they don't keep us hanging on much longer as it's all I think about for most of the day.

I know Russler, I feel like I'm addicted to this site!! I've no other life ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 mcb2009

Cheers Russler, well done on the weight loss :-) I was a bit porky myself but started weight watchers in June to get the BMI level down to normal... I am also a reformed smoker but as I'm pretty fit am hoping the damage won't be too evident. Saying that I don't even have a medical appointment yet (grr) so more anxious waiting for the posite for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭rookie_boarder

Only another 5 or so weeks to wait to see who is in the next entry.

if i'm taken the above info in right, does it mean that anybody who was due to start in the 1st intake would have been contacted by now?
    heard nothing back from vet (posted back last week in aug) med passed 1st week in sept
    did the lucky people starting in nov have vets and meds before this?

good luck all the nov starters!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 elizabeth2009

I had my medical 1st week in september, sent back vetting forms late august

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 GV09

if i'm taken the above info in right, does it mean that anybody who was due to start in the 1st intake would have been contacted by now?
    heard nothing back from vet (posted back last week in aug) med passed 1st week in sept
    did the lucky people starting in nov have vets and meds before this?

good luck all the nov starters!

Yeah I had vetting forms sent away in july and medical first week in August.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭rio2009

Hi just wondering if anyone who recieved the you are on the merit list letter has recieved vetting forms since they recieved the letter or in the same boat as myself and have to sit tight and hope to recieve them.
    i did mt ac mid july and recieved pass later end of july. some people had recieved vetting forms before i even did my ac so how does merit list work. in theroy all the people who did ac after me could have scored better than people who did ac before me therefore they would be entitled to be vetted before the others or am i just confusing the whole process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 kazo

i don,t think there is a process to be honest. I did my ac in early june, vetting july and medical august. I've no idea where they get the names for each stage! But i.m sure they have some kind of method!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Rob-117

it goes in order of when you applied, everyone has an application number, doesn't matter if you finished first in the merit list, if you applied on the last day of the campaign you'll be on the last intake/medical/vetting etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 elizabeth2009

I dont think it works that way, cause me my boyfriend and friend all applied the same day, at the same time, had our IST's and AC's on the same day. im in for the nov intake and my boyfriend got the merit list letter but hasnt received vetting or medical

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 cduck

I agree, that can't be right. I didn't have my AC till have way thru July. And I got my med and vetting done ages ago. While mates who went before me only received the 'Your on the merit list letter'. Where's that information coming from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭rio2009

agree with all.I applied on first hour of campaign was near the last to have my ist and ac others were recieving vetting forms before i did ac. strange indeeed

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭rookie_boarder

i applied on the last day, had a 2weeks heads up for IST, pass letter 3weeks after with AC end of June, received vet and med forms last week in aug,med 1st week in sept,pass letter for med
    2nd week in sept,received the "psni will be in contact for vet and med" 2weeks ago,then received "you have passed ur med" letter again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭unistudent2009

Rob-117 wrote: »
    it goes in order of when you applied, everyone has an application number, doesn't matter if you finished first in the merit list, if you applied on the last day of the campaign you'll be on the last intake/medical/vetting etc.

I dont thoink that this is true. I applied on the very first day of the campaign. Did my IST relatively late on and did my AC around halfway through. I also only recieved a medical letter this morning.

It would be a waste of resource to put people through to medicals and vetting on a first come first served basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bc84

Rob-117 wrote: »

this is incorrect.

once all the assessments have been done, everyone is put into rank order depending on scores etc which is the merit pool. if your number one in the merit pool, theres a very high chance, unless your vetting takes forever that you will be in the first intake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 cduck

What's process of getting allocated to a district after training these days? Do you still put your preferred four and they do best to get you into your first choice? What odds of people getting into there first choice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭BoutYe

cduck wrote: »
    What's process of getting allocated to a district after training these days? Do you still put your preferred four and they do best to get you into your first choice? What odds of people getting into there first choice?

Its all down to how they are feeling on the day as far as i'm concerned. In my squad i didnt get my first choice but people who didnt even have mine down in their 4 did get it! People who had the district i did get down as their first choice got my first choice instead!

Work that out!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

BoutYe wrote: »
    Work that out!

No thanks. I've heard of people who simply couldn't accept their district, and handed in their notice. They didn't get any of their choices either, but others got offered the districts that the other had as choice 1 - and they didn't even list them.

Crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭BoutYe

Well lucky for me I got my second choice so I'm happy enough :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

...and you're still posting. You must have got a real one-horse town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 deanj685

did my ist end of may, passed. did my ac end of july. got pass letter at start of oct. have not hear any more any body in the same boat as me.

You passed the A/C and now you'll get Medical and Vetting forms in the post in due course.

What 'help' do you need?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 deanj685

that was it. i have seen alot of people talking that they got there forms and passed. also was worried i had to ring deloitte to resend my pass letter as they said it was sent a month ago, but i never got.

Unfortunately, there are thousands like you out there. You'll get the forms, don't worry about it. The process is long and in a lot of cases can take a year or more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 PCPlum

psni wrote: »
    No thanks. I've heard of people who simply couldn't accept their district, and handed in their notice. They didn't get any of their choices either, but others got offered the districts that the other had as choice 1 - and they didn't even list them.

Crazy.

Hi PSNI,
    Just wondered if they take consideration for people with houses, mortgages, children in school when allocating which district? It's my dream job but there is no way my family can move - slightly concerned over what you said about people having to hand their notice in as their district was not possible for them. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Misterjay

PCPlum wrote: »
    Hi PSNI,
    Just wondered if they take consideration for people with houses, mortgages, children in school when allocating which district? It's my dream job but there is no way my family can move - slightly concerned over what you said about people having to hand their notice in as their district was not possible for them. Thanks

I think the term 'couldn't' is prob incorrect. When you apply for the job you are told that you could serve anywhere in NI. The needs of the force would overrule most variables. That said I am sure that some level of common sense would prevail given that the police would have already invested quite a bit of time and money by the time you are given your district.

Maybe the police had decided that those people who were offered a district they 'wouldn't' accept were not worth keeping. Just my opinion.

A family member joined in the 80s and it was the norm then for new recruits to be sent to border stations for a number of years. And they all did it.

I am sure districts have quotas to aspire to meet ie religious split, male/female etc. By sending recruits where they are needed either for operational reasons or to meet quotas will always take precedence over personal circumstance, although it would be taken into account. Again just my opinion.

I would say that if you are lucky enough to get in, take it, work hard and I am sure it will all work out.

Good luck in the process.

Advertisement