Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Yes Misterjay is right. My terminology was incorrect. People wouldn't accept their district allocation. Apologies for the confusion there.

PCPlum: Yes they do take those things in to account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 PCPlum

psni wrote: »
    Yes Misterjay is right. My terminology was incorrect. People wouldn't accept their district allocation. Apologies for the confusion there.

Thanks both PSNI and Misterjay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭MrsMikeLowrey

YAY!!!! :D:D:D:D:D

Finally got my medical date through! At last it feels like they've remembered I exist!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 deanj685

wot date did you do your ist and ac?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭BoutYe

...and you're still posting. You must have got a real one-horse town.

Far from it! Sure it doesnt take much time to come on here and have a quick glance at the threads.

• Advertisement

deanj685 wrote: »
    wot date did you do your ist and ac?

A/C was start of June

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 cduck

Not sure I agree with too much favors being done because of peoples personal circumstances in the workplace. Maybe "not agree" is too strong. Lets say "don't enjoy" instead. It's a known fact single persons are distriminated in the workplace. Having to work longer hours, weekends, on-call, attend more out-of-hours social functions, less exceptions made for. Now I fully appreciate I may have to be ripped up from my home and moved the full way across the country. But I would hate to think I'll be marked straight-away because I'm a single man. I'd like to think my name is still in the big lotto pot for chosen districts. Now don't everyone jump on me heehee :p. I know they'll be loads of you out there that are in large families and none of this is true in your current jobs. And I know common sense has to shine through in special circumstances. Its only a generalisation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭poppysox

I think everyone knew exactly what they were getting into when they applied and should be willing to be flexible otherwise why apply for an organisation that works 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. I believe we were all asked to ask ourselves could we make the commitment.
    If you get in and don't get the district of your choice then suck it up, get on with it and apply for a transfer after the probationary period. It's not as if there's the possibility of being asked to work 6 or 7 hours away, Northern Ireland's not that big!

poppysox wrote: »
    I think everyone knew exactly what they were getting into when they applied and should be willing to be flexible otherwise why apply for an organisation that works 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. I believe we were all asked to ask ourselves could we make the commitment.
    If you get in and don't get the district of your choice then suck it up, get on with it and apply for a transfer after the probationary period. It's not as if there's the possibility of being asked to work 6 or 7 hours away, Northern Ireland's not that big!

Lol, I was expecting to get lynched, not someone to be even more hard line than myself on the subject

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Track

Re-locate? I'd move to Botswana if need be to get in!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 mcb2009

YAY!!!! :D:D:D:D:D

Finally got my medical date through! At last it feels like they've remembered I exist!!

Good going! I got my vetting forms through today - just wondering if the medical and vetting letters are normally sent out at the same time? Am hoping the postal strike isn't going to mess anything up so just wanted to check with others on when they received their info?? Cheers:)

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Misterjay

mcb2009 wrote: »
    Good going! I got my vetting forms through today - just wondering if the medical and vetting letters are normally sent out at the same time? Am hoping the postal strike isn't going to mess anything up so just wanted to check with others on when they received their info?? Cheers:)

My vetting and medical forms were about 4 weeks apart so don't worry too much about it.

mcb2009 wrote: »

Hey mcb, I got my vetting through today as well! Go us!!! Received med forms last sat,
    I go on hols tomorrow tho, and am panicking about getting forms filled in and back to them on time, and I cant remember one of my addresses - eek!!:eek:

cduck wrote: »
    Lol, I was expecting to get lynched, not someone to be even more hard line than myself on the subject

I think if people are lucky enough to get in and through training and about to be given their station then they should count themselves bloody lucky instead of bitching about why the organisation can't work around them. I'm sure there's lots of other people who would have loved their spot in the intake and wouldn't have wasted time and energy whinging about where they were placed. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭BoutYe

I think if people are lucky enough to get in and through training and about to be given their station then they should count themselves bloody lucky instead of bitching about why the organisation can't work around them. I'm sure there's lots of other people who would have loved their spot in the intake and wouldn't have wasted time and energy whinging about where they were placed. :mad:

Well to be fair, although you know you can be sent anywhere I'm sure 99.9% people joining have a good idea of where they would like to be stationed and some will naturally be disapointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 ra88

well said. take what you're given you can always transfer later. personally i am willing to relocate anywhere, might sound silly but such is my desire to be a police officer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 deanj685

ra88 wrote: »
    well said. take what you're given you can always transfer later. personally i am willing to relocate anywhere, might sound silly but such is my desire to be a police officer!

I know what you mean any where and id be happy any where.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Bubba1981

I'd like to offer another point of view on this - whilst for a majority of people, working anywhere in Northern Ireland shouldn't be a problem, for others it would be a major issue. For example, for RC's who apply and are successful they may be fearful if they end up stationed close to family members or in an area where they grew up and would easily be recognised and targeted as a catholic officer. For others it may be extremely difficult for family reasons, ie. if their partner has a secure job where they are happy and re location to anywhere over a certain radius simply wouldn't be possible.

I do agree that in an ideal world everyone should be happy with where they're stationed however I would argue that for a handful certain locations simply aren't possible. Just a point of view...

You make a fair point however I think that again comes down to asking yourself whether you can make the commitment before you apply. It is a visible job and you have to be willing to do that job anywhere you're asked and not just in certain districts.
    I understand that there will be mitigating circumstances regarding some people but operational need will always take priority over personal preference and therefor I don't think it's worth whinging about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Bifbert

Bubba1981 wrote: »
    I'd like to offer another point of view on this - whilst for a majority of people, working anywhere in Northern Ireland shouldn't be a problem, for others it would be a major issue. For example, for RC's who apply and are successful they may be fearful if they end up stationed close to family members or in an area where they grew up and would easily be recognised and targeted as a catholic officer.

I don't think the continuity or real IRA really care who they kill as long as its a psni officer regardless of religion. If you are worried about being spotted and harassed because you joined the police then maybe a different career choice is in order. It does say in the application form you must be willing to work anywhere in the province so you know what you're signing up for from day one. Thats just my two cents.

• Advertisement

Bifbert wrote: »
    I don't think the continuity or real IRA really care who they kill as long as its a psni officer regardless of religion. If you are worried about being spotted and harassed because you joined the police then maybe a different career choice is in order. It does say in the application form you must be willing to work anywhere in the province so you know what you're signing up for from day one. Thats just my two cents.

lol, can't believe everyone is way more more hardline than me. Complete opposite response from what I expected. Have to say in defence of the opposition who are currently being drummed, there are very special cases which exception should be made for. And it does no harm to the whole PR and reconciliation process getting some of these people into the force. Don't you hardliners jump on me now instead with complete black and white protocols and reasoning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Bubba1981

Bifbert wrote: »

Fair comment, I was making an observation though and not speaking from a personal viewpoint, i.e. I will do whatever it takes to be the best police officer I can be, wherever that is, if I'm successful in my application. I only made the point to highlight the fact that some people simply aren't whinging, they may have real concerns about being stationed in certain areas. Therefore, I think it right that people's circumstances are taken into consideration if they don't get the district they wanted because of said genuine concern. That said, I completely disagree with people who give off about their district because it's an inconvenience to them, those people are just whinging.

It's good to have these wee mini debates - it makes the time till AC feedback comes out go that little bit quicker!! :D

Is anyone else finding the mail strike quite funny in relation to everyone waiting for these merit listings and ac feedback letters. I imagine some psni-boardies are freaking out at thot of it continuing...like our good friend Russler I bet ;)

P.S. I completely agree with posties. And its even made me completely re-assess my opinion on self-scan at supermarkets. I think everyone should be boycotting them and suffering a queue. If you do, they'll have to hire more staff. More jobs. Small actions, big impact. Deep or what?!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Russler

Is anyone else finding the mail strike quite funny in relation to everyone waiting for these merit listings and ac feedback letters. I imagine some psni-boardies are freaking out at thot of it continuing...like our good friend Russler I bet ;)

P.S. I completely agree with posties. And its even made me completely re-assess my opinion on self-scan at supermarkets. I think everyone should be boycotting them and suffering a queue. If you do, they'll have to hire more staff. More jobs. Small actions, big impact. Deep or what?!! :D

How very inconsiderate of these postmen and women to be holding up our AC feedback letters. I shall be writing to my local MP to complain in a most forthright fashion:mad:

p.s. at least they get to strike - our union is about as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike:rolleyes:

Sorry but I disagree. Not one for people going on strike. The economy is turbulent enough, we are in the run up to the Xmas postal rush, and I need my AC feedback. Get back to work! ;)

Misterjay wrote: »
    Sorry but I disagree. Not one for people going on strike. The economy is turbulent enough, we are in the run up to the Xmas postal rush, and I need my AC feedback. Get back to work! ;)

Misterjay!!! :eek: That is a very capitalist opinion!! What about those ex-posties that have been replaced by machines running up to Xmas. And where does it stop when you get into a culture of replacing people with automated gizmos. I was disgusted when I heard of the first completely self-scan supermarket. You'll be very happy when the conservatives are in I pressume then :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Billybates81

When will we get AC feedback? You can always use the postal strike as an exscuse to phone recruitment!!

What is covered in the feedback? Is it bland or does it tell you where you lost marks in detail?

If anyone can commnt who had feedback last year that would be great.

When will we get AC feedback? You can always use the postal strike as an exscuse to phone recruitment!!

What is covered in the feedback? Is it bland or does it tell you where you lost marks in detail?

If anyone can commnt who had feedback last year that would be great.

Not sure I want to read too much detail. Brother got in quite quickly, but he said when he read it, it seemed he'd done really bad and didn't stand a chance. Guess its better for improving on the next campaign than giving confidence where you stand. Best trying to guess chances from merit number maybe

Misterjay!!! :eek: That is a very capitalist opinion!! What about those ex-posties that have been replaced by machines running up to Xmas. And where does it stop when you get into a culture of replacing people with automated gizmos. I was disgusted when I heard of the first completely self-scan supermarket. You'll be very happy when the conservatives are in I pressume then :p

Maybe I should reconsider my viewpoint and hope Mr Brown gets in again. That way the government can continue their sterling efforts with the economy. Apparently in a recession, crime goes up. Therefore one would assume more Police would be required - maybe I'll get offered a place then. ;)

That said, apparently the sale of teabags also go up. Perhaps we would stand a better chance of getting into Punjana or Tetleys. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 mcb2009

I just got my vetting sent off on Monday and decided to part with a fiver so I could track online and make sure it got there. Now all I'm waiting for is the medical letter and I'm freakin out it's lying in some warehouse somewhere! Hopefully the strikes won't mess anything up but I want my appointment dammit!!! (Normally I would be supporting the posties but these days selfishness reigns...)

By the way, re. self-scans at the supermarket, I've been overcharged twice by them lately and am a bit suspicious that they maybe don't update the prices/offers on there as often as they should. If the happy day ever arrives when I become PC MCB I may have to go investigating - who's with me?!

Advertisement