Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭rio2009

Hi just wondering anyone has recieved vetting forms this week and those who recieved them last week had they recieved "you are on the merit list" letter prior to this. Im clinging on to hope that i may still recieve
    vet forms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 EB1979

cduck wrote: »
    Misterjay!!! :eek: That is a very capitalist opinion!! What about those ex-posties that have been replaced by machines running up to Xmas. And where does it stop when you get into a culture of replacing people with automated gizmos. I was disgusted when I heard of the first completely self-scan supermarket. You'll be very happy when the conservatives are in I pressume then :p

Do you do much grocery shopping? I am 100% in favour of self scanning - much quicker and no sour faced assistant!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 mika_

rio2009 wrote: »
    Hi just wondering anyone has recieved vetting forms this week and those who recieved them last week had they recieved "you are on the merit list" letter prior to this. Im clinging on to hope that i may still recieve
    vet forms

I've got my vetting forms letter this tuesday, trying to fill them all out at the moment and send it away as soon as possible. Three weeks ago I got medical appointment letter and did it last week. Hope this helps :)
    Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 mcb2009

vet forms

Hiya, I got the merit list letter, then last Thursday got vetting forms and despite my earlier worries that medical appointment letter might get held up with the strikes I received it this afternoon. (To my old address mind you that I had updated with recruitment but never mind, received it anyway:rolleyes:)

Hang in there, I'm sure your forms will arrive in due course but I know how you feel - I was in the same boat last week reading everyone else's posts about receiving theirs and wondering when I was ever going to get mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 cduck

EB1979 wrote: »
    Do you do much grocery shopping? I am 100% in favour of self scanning - much quicker and no sour faced assistant!

Course I do. Single man. I choose to queue up with my 10 items. Rather there be another person in a job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 GV09

cduck wrote: »
    Is anyone else finding the mail strike quite funny in relation to everyone waiting for these merit listings and ac feedback letters. I imagine some psni-boardies are freaking out at thot of it continuing...like our good friend Russler I bet ;)

P.S. I completely agree with posties. And its even made me completely re-assess my opinion on self-scan at supermarkets. I think everyone should be boycotting them and suffering a queue. If you do, they'll have to hire more staff. More jobs. Small actions, big impact. Deep or what?!! :D

Just to spoil your vision;), self scan checkouts actually generate more jobs, the labour budget in supermarkets is driven by the amount of items sold. So instead of 2 checkout banks you can have 6 self scan which means more items sold, which in turn increases the labour budget which means more overtime or new recruitment. Its a win, win :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 cduck

GV09 wrote: »
    Just to spoil your vision;), self scan checkouts actually generate more jobs, the labour budget in supermarkets is driven by the amount of items sold. So instead of 2 checkout banks you can have 6 self scan which means more items sold, which in turn increases the labour budget which means more overtime or new recruitment. Its a win, win :D

Yes, thats right GV09...people don't buy as much as they would because of the chronic global shortage in checkouts :rolleyes:

Cheers mcb and mika no post today will have to wait for feedback and see if i have any sort of a realistic chance of getting in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 elizabeth2009

mcb2009 wrote: »
    Hiya, I got the merit list letter, then last Thursday got vetting forms and despite my earlier worries that medical appointment letter might get held up with the strikes I received it this afternoon. (To my old address mind you that I had updated with recruitment but never mind, received it anyway:rolleyes:)

Hang in there, I'm sure your forms will arrive in due course but I know how you feel - I was in the same boat last week reading everyone else's posts about receiving theirs and wondering when I was ever going to get mine.

Did the vetting forms go to your old address or new address?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 mcb2009

Did the vetting forms go to your old address or new address?

The new one and I got those before the medical forms so don't really understand! I guess I'll check with them when I go for the medical that they're definitely using my new one...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭unistudent2009

Ive just realised that it is more than likely going to be the case that myself and the majority of people will not have a definate yes or no from this campaign when the next one starts.

Does everyone just reapply or are there any rules about starting applications whilst in the middle of a previous campaign?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Ive just realised that it is more than likely going to be the case that myself and the majority of people will not have a definate yes or no from this campaign when the next one starts.

Does everyone just reapply or are there any rules about starting applications whilst in the middle of a previous campaign?

Excellent question and one I would also like to learn the answer to :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Russler

delancey42 wrote: »

Excellent question and one I would also like to learn the answer to :confused:

The general consensus has been to reapply as you just don't know when or even if you'll get a call.

The next campaign is supposed to be early 2010 but again who knows if this will happen or not:rolleyes:

I've read about some people on here who have applied again and even got to AC stage and then they have gotten the call from the previous campaign.

It's just then a matter of telling Deliotte that you have been offered a place and to remove you from the current campaign.

I for one will be reapplying next year to hedge my bets....unless I get the call:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 miss_bex

Hey everyone :)

Have been following the posts for a good while now so thought I may as well sign up and get involved! Got my merit score today and have my medical at the start of next month - go to the gym pretty much everyday but still quite nervous! This is the first year I've been old enough to apply so hadn't a clue what to expect, keeping everything crossed but from the sounds of things it'll be a long wait 'till it's over!

Anyway, just a wee post to say hello :D

Bex

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Welcome aboard Miss Bex - can you give us some idea of your score - broad range is all ?

760s, RC Background... I know the whole 50:50 thing makes it hard to predict what could happen, but a guesstimate would be good :)

Also, was skimming through the Medical thread there and will go back to have a better look, but any ideas on what you should wear? I imagine trying to stretch in a blouse and work trousers could be a bit awkward :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭MrsMikeLowrey

I just wore smart jeans and and a loose fitting top, and shoes that you can slip off easily.
    I know everyone says this but it really is nothing to worry about, they are all very nice, and really friendly
    Good luck x

Thanks for the quick reply there, sounds like good advice :)

Finally got through. 720-730 r/c anyone know how many r/c non r/c in the final lost.I asked recruitment but she would not say. Would be interested to know to see if I had any real chance of getting offered a place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 welshy1873

hello just got a surprise phonecall to inform me i will get a call to arrange a medical from C14??? Vetting passed back in may and nonRC low 400s. Not sure whats going on as i thought there were people with lower merit scores with meds passed but still waiting on "The Call". Trying not to get excited but why put me through a medical at a cost if there was no chance? Anybody got any ideas whats happening?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Misterjay

Finally got through. 720-730 r/c anyone know how many r/c non r/c in the final lost.I asked recruitment but she would not say. Would be interested to know to see if I had any real chance of getting offered a place.

Rio, based on my limited knowledge of the process the merit list is not an even split. By the very fact it is called a 'merit list' then all who meet the required standard will be included. They will then select from the merit list on a 50:50 basis.

Ref your chances it now just depends on how many candidates in the merit list are r/c and below 720-730. Not everyone in the merit list will pass the medical and vetting so it would be wrong to assume there are 720 people in front of you.

There are some old posts from previous campaigns with merit listings etc split by rc/non rc.

Sorry if my answer is a bit vague but we are all in the dark in this process.

Hope it works out for you.

Misterjay wrote: »
    Rio, based on my limited knowledge of the process the merit list is not an even split. By the very fact it is called a 'merit list' then all who meet the required standard will be included. They will then select from the merit list on a 50:50 basis.

Ref your chances it now just depends on how many candidates in the merit list are r/c and below 720-730. Not everyone in the merit list will pass the medical and vetting so it would be wrong to assume there are 720 people in front of you.

There are some old posts from previous campaigns with merit listings etc split by rc/non rc.

Sorry if my answer is a bit vague but we are all in the dark in this process.

Hope it works out for you.

Cheers misterjay will just have to sit tight and hope for the best.

Cheers misterjay will just have to sit tight and hope for the best.

No worries. I just stuck a post in the waiting room that might help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭poppysox

miss_bex wrote: »

Also, was skimming through the Medical thread there and will go back to have a better look, but any ideas on what you should wear? I imagine trying to stretch in a blouse and work trousers could be a bit awkward :rolleyes:

Hiya Bex I asked the exact same question before my medical and the girls on here told me to wear like gym clothes so I wore black yoga pants and a black zippy. Don't worry about a sports bra as you don't move about that much, just make sure your not wearing a thong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 EB1979

poppysox wrote: »
    Hiya Bex I asked the exact same question before my medical and the girls on here told me to wear like gym clothes so I wore black yoga pants and a black zippy. Don't worry about a sports bra as you don't move about that much, just make sure your not wearing a thong.

I wore trackies with shorts underneath and that was fine. Sports bra is a good idea if you have 1 as you do have to take your tshirt off.

Spot on, thanks for clearing that up ladies :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Billybates81

Just a general question..... How do
    they decide when you start in hotel GV? Is it done in merit list order (assuming you have passed medical and vetting) or is it done some other way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 sassanoodle

Just a general question..... How do
    they decide when you start in hotel GV? Is it done in merit list order (assuming you have passed medical and vetting) or is it done some other way?

I am guessing (and its only a guess) the 50/50 split would come into effect in allocating places in hotel GV as well as merit place order.

I am guessing (and its only a guess) the 50/50 split would come into effect in allocating places in hotel GV as well as merit place order.

My understanding is as follows:

All candidates are selected on merit list number with the caveat of RC or non RC. If, for example, the intake is 50 then it MUST be 25 RC and 25 non RC. If they can only get 20 RC to accept then only 20 non RC will be offered a place on that intake.

Just my understanding of the process from speaking to friends who have been through the process.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 sassanoodle

Misterjay wrote: »
    My understanding is as follows:

All candidates are selected on merit list number with the caveat of RC or non RC. If, for example, the intake is 50 then it MUST be 25 RC and 25 non RC. If they can only get 20 RC to accept then only 20 non RC will be offered a place on that intake.

Just my understanding of the process from speaking to friends who have been through the process.

Thats what I was trying to say thanks Misterjay, need to seriously work on my explainations!!

Advertisement