Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Misterjay

Thats what I was trying to say thanks Misterjay, need to seriously work on my explainations!!

Nah I just have too much time on my hands!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Track

rio2009 wrote: »
    Finally got through. 720-730 r/c anyone know how many r/c non r/c in the final lost.I asked recruitment but she would not say. Would be interested to know to see if I had any real chance of getting offered a place.

C14's with 900+ merit have started this year - you have as good a chance as anyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Penis Eye

good luck to all folks!

im really enjoyin it and hopefully you lot will one day to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭rio2009

Just a quick note for interested applicants Campaign 1001 is starting tommorow according to joinpsni website. I know ill be applying hopefully improve on my position. Good luck to all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭MrsMikeLowrey

Thanks for the info, and so it all begins again!!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 leeds10

Misterjay wrote: »
    When 50:50 is finally phased out then individuals will probably be restricted to only 3 attempts in line with other UK forces. However it will be based purely on merit.

Any one else see this on the bbc website? Thought it might be of interest

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/8497753.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭wannabe2010

These are really random questions but...

1. Roughly what percentage of the psni are female?
    2. How much holidays do you get and how free are you to get days/weekends off etc?

Just wondering.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Agito

Well if I remember correctly, by applying to PSNI you agree to work overtime whenever its needed. And seeing all that police in my town on Friday and Saturday nights makes me think that a lot of them do work overtimes. lol

Talking about females, at least from what I see in my town, its more like 50/50. Most of the time I see a male constable with a female partner, which is quite surprising I might add. I'd figure women would not be so interested in this kind of career choice but hey - go ladies go!

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭beca

What not to do with a tazer gun.

Last weekend I saw something at a Pawn Shop that sparked my interest. The occasion was our 15th anniversary and I was looking for a little something extra for my wife Julie. What I came across was a 100,000-volt, pocket/purse- sized tazer.. The effects of the tazer were supposed to be short lived, with no long-term adverse affect on your assailant, allowing her adequate time to retreat to safety....??

WAY TOO COOL! Long story short, I bought the device and brought it home. I loaded two AAA batteries in the darn thing and pushed the button. Nothing! I was disappointed. I learned, however, that if I pushed the button and pressed it against a metal surface at the same time; I'd get the blue arc of electricity darting back and forth between the prongs.
    AWESOME!!!

Unfortunately, I have yet to explain to Julie what that burn spot is on the face of her microwave.
    Okay, so I was home alone with this new toy, thinking to myself that it couldn't be all that bad with only two triple-A batteries, right? There I sat in my recliner, my cat Gracie looking on intently (trusting little soul) while I was reading the directions and thinking that I really needed to try this thing out on a flesh & blood moving target. I must admit I thought about zapping Gracie (for a fraction of a second) and thought better of it. She is such a sweet cat. But, if I was going to give this thing to my wife to protect herself against a mugger, I did want some assurance that it would work as advertised. Am I wrong?

So, there I sat in a pair of shorts and a tank top with my reading glasses perched delicately on the bridge of my nose, directions in one hand, and tazer in another. The directions said that a one-second burst would shock and disorient your assailant; a two-second burst was supposed to cause muscle spasms and a major loss of bodily control; a three-second burst would purportedly make your assailant flop on the ground like a fish out of water. Any burst longer than three seconds would be wasting the batteries.

All the while I'm looking at this little device measuring about 5" long, less than 3/4 inch in circumference; pretty cute really and (loaded with two itsy, bitsy triple-A batteries) thinking to myself, 'no possible way!' What happened next is almost beyond description, but I'll do my best......

I'm sitting there alone, Gracie looking on with her head cocked to one side as if to say, 'don't do it dip****,' while I'm reasoning that a one second burst from such a tiny little ole thing couldn't hurt all that bad. I decided to give myself a one second burst just for heck of it. I touched the prongs to my naked thigh, pushed the button, and .......
    HOLY MOTHER OF GOD . . WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION . . . WHAT THE HELL!!!

I'm pretty sure Jessie Ventura ran in through the side door, picked me up in the recliner, then body slammed us both on the carpet, over and over and over again. I vaguely recall waking up on my side in the fetal position, with tears in my eyes, body soaking wet, both nipples on fire, testicles nowhere to be found, and my left arm tucked under my body in the oddest position, and tingling in my legs. The cat was making meowing sounds I had never heard before, clinging to a picture frame hanging above the fireplace, obviously in an attempt to avoid getting slammed by my body flopping all over the living room...
    Note: If you ever feel compelled to 'mug' yourself with a tazer, one note of caution: there is no such thing as a one second burst when you zap yourself! You will not let go of that thing until it is dislodged from your hand by a violent thrashing about on the floor.. A three second burst would be considered conservative.
    IT HURT LIKE HELL!!!

A minute or so later (I can't be sure, as time was a relative thing at that point), I collected my wits (what little I had left), sat up and surveyed the landscape. My bent reading glasses were on the mantel of the fireplace. The recliner was upside down and about 8 feet or so from where it originally was... My triceps, right thigh and both nipples were still twitching. My face felt like it had been shot up with Novocain, and my bottom lip weighed 88 lbs.. I had no control over the drooling..
    Apparently I **** myself, but was too numb to know for sure and my sense of smell was gone. I saw a faint smoke cloud above my head which I believe came from my hair. I'm still looking for my nuts and I'm offering a significant reward for their safe return!

PS... My wife, can't stop laughing about my experience, loved the gift, and now regularly threatens me with it!
    If you think education is difficult, try being stupid !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭0607

These are really random questions but...

1. Roughly what percentage of the psni are female?

24.58% as of October 30th 2009.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Agito

Beca, best story ever. Period. :D

Agito wrote: »
    Beca, best story ever. Period. :D

Think i was crying laughing and that was only half way down whilst trying to hide under the computer screen so my boss wouldnt twig i wasnt working. multi tasking to the max ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Fatony

My sides are sore laughing at that story!! Great! Something i would do tho..

Just bored and wondering to myself... Those of you who have passed and got your place as a PSNI officer, how many attempts did it take you to get in?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

I know a guy who tried 16 times.

That's rough :( if that doesn't show resilience, I don't know what does! Lol.. Has anyone (I'm sure someone has, the odds demand it!) got in first time?

PSNI, how long did it take you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

psni wrote: »
    I know a guy who tried 16 times.

Did he get in after all that ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

I don't answer personal questions - sorry! But yes, the guy got in eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

That's rough :( if that doesn't show resilience, I don't know what does! Lol.. Has anyone (I'm sure someone has, the odds demand it!) got in first time?

Yes , lots of people get in first attempt . There are suggestions that it's hard to get in first go but I think a lot is down to people failing once or twice and gaining ( and benefitting ) from the experience thus earned. The bottom line is that your merit score bears no relation to the number of previous applications.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭poppysox

Lol.. Has anyone (I'm sure someone has, the odds demand it!) got in first time?

I got in 1st go so did a few other in my squad, it's not impossible, positive mental attitude :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭BoutYe

poppysox wrote: »
    I got in 1st go so did a few other in my squad, it's not impossible, positive mental attitude :D

There were a good few in my squad who had got in on their first attempt.

Well, fingers crossed, gunna crack up if I have to stay in my current job much longer lol :(

Well, fingers crossed, gunna crack up if I have to stay in my current job much longer lol :(

I HEAR YE! even the boss realises it too! but he knows im a plod at heart and my current job isnt what i want to do ;)

Im right with you on that! My boss knows it too I just told her but shes cool with it she knows I'm just not happy at work at all anymore and this is all I want :D

On a side note...came across this article while searching to see if any official numbers were out for this year yet... http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/1000-nonCatholic-rejections-by-PSNI.6004909.jp

Im really not meaning to start another 50/50 debate here or anything but just found this quote rather interesting

"A Freedom of Information reply also shows that no Catholic candidate was rejected under 50/50.
    When the News Letter asked whether this meant that all Catholics who had made the merit pool, and passed all the assessment tests, had been offered jobs, police confirmed that this was the case to date"

So if your RC and make it to the merit pool your sorted lol. Just shows the impact 50/50 has when it comes down to the final stage. Again, Im not wanting to start the whole 50/50 row thing, just wanted to share, might put some minds on here to rest who are waiting on the call!

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭B182

So if your RC and make it to the merit pool your sorted lol. Just shows the impact 50/50 has when it comes down to the final stage. Again, Im not wanting to start the whole 50/50 row thing, just wanted to share, might put some minds on here to rest who are waiting on the call!

doesnt make much sense as they can only take 220 RC from the merit pool so would doubt that statement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭grad10

chunkerz wrote: »
    doesnt make much sense as they can only take 220 RC from the merit pool so would doubt that statement

Wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it. There was an article a few weeks ago stating only 219 people had been accepted from C15 so far, and that the reason the current campaign started early was to make up for this shortfall. So it is quite possible that less than 220 people from the RC community have met the merit standard each time to date, and therefore all of these people would have been offered a place.

grad10 wrote: »
    Wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it. There was an article a few weeks ago stating only 219 people had been accepted from C15 so far...

Got a link or a source on that? I'd like to read it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭jclegs

I think he is referring to this:

http://www.u.tv/News/Police-jobs-popular-despite-threat/6f0806d6-93fc-490a-b61e-3586dcd959ad

but I highly doubt that the figure is correct, since there has only been two intakes so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭grad10

psni wrote: »
    Got a link or a source on that? I'd like to read it.

It was posted on one of the other threads not that long ago and talked about.. Dont have time to look for it right now but seems it's the link jclegs just posted. But just meant it could be possible.. I don't believe that it is as I don't see newspapers as reliable sources!

Ps. Jclegs I am female, lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭rookie_boarder

Im right with you on that! My boss knows it too I just told her but shes cool with it she knows I'm just not happy at work at all anymore and this is all I want :D

On a side note...came across this article while searching to see if any official numbers were out for this year yet... http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/1000-nonCatholic-rejections-by-PSNI.6004909.jp

Im really not meaning to start another 50/50 debate here or anything but just found this quote rather interesting

"A Freedom of Information reply also shows that no Catholic candidate was rejected under 50/50.

When the News Letter asked whether this meant that all Catholics who had made the merit pool, and passed all the assessment tests, had been offered jobs, police confirmed that this was the case to date"

If you didn't mean to start the 50/50 debate, why did you post this?
    You could have just read it, i did, i didn't post it

220 posts for nrc, 220 posts for rc
    News Letter, "blue side" of ni paper has done this to stoke up tension against 50/50,(which is also helping nrc's get in, see below) I know its "blue side" its been in my granparents house every week for as long as i can remember, (so i know the nature of the paper through and through), and every week, my aul granda will go out of his way to find something to be affended at in it.

really? i know a guy, rc, 4 times applying now, merit pool, 900's, 800's 600's and this year he's down to very low 200's, has 50/50 benefited him, or did he just keep plugging and get to where he needs to be?

i'm, nrc, vetting off in of aug, med passed mid sept, merit, 130-150

next year or the year after, it looks like there'll be no 50/50 and recruitment will be the best 50 per year, so i wouldn't be good enough with my score.

50/50 is helping me or is it not?

Advertisement