Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭beca

If you didn't mean to start the 50/50 debate, why did you post this?
    You could have just read it, i did, i didn't post it

well i for one hadnt seen it and im quite glad that plugin did post it! no need to start gettin frisky about it because it was clearly stated that it was posted to be informative and not to cause a debate! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭wannabe2010

I gotta n00b question for you all.. can someone break down/explain the whole merit thing for me? I haven't got that far yet like, still waitin to sit my IST.. just I've been reading on people's success stories and it got me wonderin how it all works.. Like, what does the pass rate usually range between (I realise this changes from campaign to campaign depending on how good everyone else does)? How are the marks awarded (I know you get points from IST and AC and all the things you have to do in each of them... but how many points is each worth etc)?

... This is probably a really annoying newbie message but hey it keeps you on your toes eh =p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭grad10

I gotta n00b question for you all.. can someone break down/explain the whole merit thing for me? I haven't got that far yet like, still waitin to sit my IST.. just I've been reading on people's success stories and it got me wonderin how it all works.. Like, what does the pass rate usually range between (I realise this changes from campaign to campaign depending on how good everyone else does)? How are the marks awarded (I know you get points from IST and AC and all the things you have to do in each of them... but how many points is each worth etc)?

... This is probably a really annoying newbie message but hey it keeps you on your toes eh =p

When you have completed the Assessment Centre you will get feedback on your performance and a mark out of 70. You will need a certain score to pass and this may vary from campaign to campaign.

Before this you will receive a letter telling you whether you passed or failed the AC. If you receive a letter telling you you have passed the AC, it doesn't necessarily mean you have scored highly enough to go into the merit pool. In this case you will get another letter stating this. (Again scores will vary each year but for C15 I scored 48/70 and although this was a pass, I didn't go into merit pool).

If you have a high enough score, you will get placed in the merit pool. So if you score 70/70 your merit placing would be number 1. If more than one person scores 70/70 they will look back at your IST mark and then place you in order accordingly. (You can look through the archives to try and find scores/merits which have been successful - if it helps I know someone who started in Jan with an AC score of 57/70, but they never rang up about their merit).

Then the top 220 RC and 220 Non RC are selected. (After passing medical and vetting, and if 440 places).

Hope this helps and I'm sure someone with more knowledge will add information :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Fatony

Didn't really understand that either thanks Grad10 for explaining it in detail!

grad10 wrote: »
    When you have completed the Assessment Centre you will get feedback on your performance and a mark out of 70. You will need a certain score to pass and this may vary from campaign to campaign.

Before this you will receive a letter telling you whether you passed or failed the AC. If you receive a letter telling you you have passed the AC, it doesn't necessarily mean you have scored highly enough to go into the merit pool. In this case you will get another letter stating this. (Again scores will vary each year but for C15 I scored 48/70 and although this was a pass, I didn't go into merit pool).

If you have a high enough score, you will get placed in the merit pool. So if you score 70/70 your merit placing would be number 1. If more than one person scores 70/70 they will look back at your IST mark and then place you in order accordingly. (You can look through the archives to try and find scores/merits which have been successful - if it helps I know someone who started in Jan with an AC score of 57/70, but they never rang up about their merit).

Then the top 220 RC and 220 Non RC are selected. (After passing medical and vetting, and if 440 places).

Hope this helps and I'm sure someone with more knowledge will add information :)

Thanks very much for that!! :D

Out of 70? All the merit scores I was reading, people were saying they were in the 600s etc :confused: and some were saying they were in the 120s or something...? Was wondering how can both of those scores mean good things! Lol :confused:

What's normally (I'm throwing this term about as in my previous post) the pass rate for IST?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭rio2009

Hi wannabe2010 the pass mark for ist last year was 55/75. there is 2 parts to ist think there 40 questions in verbal reasoning and 35 in numerical part. if you dont pass ist then its the end of the road. hope this helps a bit.

Out of 70? All the merit scores I was reading, people were saying they were in the 600s etc :confused: and some were saying they were in the 120s or something...? Was wondering how can both of those scores mean good things! Lol :confused:

What's normally (I'm throwing this term about as in my previous post) the pass rate for IST?

No the 70 I was referring to is nothing to do with merit scores, it's the marks you get for your performance in the AC. You get marked out of 10 for each of the 7 competencies. These marks are added up to give you your mark out of 70 in the AC..

Then depending on how well you have done in that.. then you get your merit placing. So the higher you score in AC the better your merit placing. Hope that makes sense?

As for people having merits of 120s and 600s and both getting in.. that's the slightly more confusing bit! Obviously because of the 50:50 there has to be equal numbers of RC's and Non-RC's recruited.. So say you are Non-RC with a merit placing of 200, you think you would be guaranteed a place because if 440 places are available, 220 would have to be recruited from both community backgrounds.. BUT - if there are only 180 RC candidates who have successfully made it to the merit pool then only 180 Non-RC would be offered a place, and therefore your merit of 200 actually wouldn't be good enough.

And you will have read about people with merits of 600 to even 900 getting places because the majority of people with the better/lower merit scores will be from a different community background. Sorry I know that's alot to take in and try and understand, was difficult trying to explain it so hope it makes sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Misterjay

The merit list is calculated by using the scores from the AC. If the highest score was say 65 out of 70 then they would be number 1 on the list etc. Therefore the lower your merit list is is 1,50,100 then the better it is. If say 10 people all score 60 out of 70 in the AC then they go back to the IST score and rate them that way. I believe the top 1000 AC scores go into the merit pool. Then the PSNI offer places in merit based on your religious persuasion. ALL IS SUBJECT to vetting approval obviously.

For C15 the IST pass score was 55. I believe it has been higher on previous campaigns so we cannot say what it will be for the current campaign. Better to just score as highly as possible and then if your AC score is tied, you wll be higher up the merit list.

Hope this all makes sense.

Also, from what I hear and read, if you are Non-RC you need to be getting a merit placing in the 100-200s or below, and for RC anything up to 800s, to be in with a good chance. This can obviously change from year to year. And also alot of it is also to do with vetting. I'm sure someone will correct me if Im wrong! :)

And also I'm sorry I just re-read your original post and think you were asking about pass marks for IST, and I fully went off on one about the AC! So just to clarify it is the AC that is marked out of 70, and the IST out of 75. And as Rio2009 and Misterjay said, the pass mark for the IST last year was 55/75.

Thanks very much grad, misterjay, and rio; all really great replies, that really clears a lot up! I'm just getting those first timer pre-IST jitters - nerves and excitment - and just want to know everything lol. This is a dream job for so many people but it just feels like no one wants this more than me (I know that is completely incorrect - not being arsy lol)... You know the feeling(!) I just hope my nerves don't get the better of me and I do what is needed!

• Advertisement

P.S. on a completely unrelated note, has anyone ever been water bombed by complete [EMAIL="!*@!"$%"]!*@!"$%[/EMAIL] hanging out a 1st floor window? What can I do about it cuz it's just not on! :mad: Got one thrown at me on my way back from Ju Jitsu but I knew they were gunna do it so I side stepped it, easy peasy lol. Then I proceeded to stare at them, at which point they started to get quite scared and closed the windows and turned off the lights lmao; didn't realise my stare was that effective :D

rio2009 wrote: »
    Hi wannabe2010 the pass mark for ist last year was 55/75. there is 2 parts to ist think there 40 questions in verbal reasoning and 35 in numerical part. if you dont pass ist then its the end of the road. hope this helps a bit.

48 verbal questions (on 12 texts) and 30 numerical questions. total score out of 78.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Lynx655

Hi all does anyone have the number for external appointments ????
    And also I have been given a start date at Hotel Garnerville but my company that I work for now requires 3 months notice and GV starts a lot sooner than that !!! Help advice needed !

Lynx655 wrote: »
    Hi all does anyone have the number for external appointments ????
    And also I have been given a start date at Hotel Garnerville but my company that I work for now requires 3 months notice and GV starts a lot sooner than that !!! Help advice needed !

just quit! GV wont know or say anything! they dont ask for references and if they do theyll have them checked by now :cool:

Itd be beter to just leave, you may loose your holiday pay you've worked up and any wages you are owed but id rather loose that than a place in GV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lulu83

Does anyone have the email address for vetting? I know its on a letter but haven't got it to hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭BoutYe

beca wrote: »
    just quit! GV wont know or say anything! they dont ask for references and if they do theyll have them checked by now :cool:

Ofcourse the other option is speak to your empolyer, tell them the start date for your new job and see if they will be accomodating - assuming that is they penalise in regards to owed holiday pay etc for doing less than the notice asked.

If you are going to be penalised and cant afford it then contact recruitment and explain the situation to them and ask can you defer your start date.

Or, as has already been suggested, if the only thing you are worried about is leaving on a bad note, stuff them!!! You've just got the job of your dreams!!! Quit and never look back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 FogInHell

Yeah, I'd leave mate. What have they ever done for you? lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭gazzabelfast

of course legally 2 weeks notice is fine:cool:

Most bosses should be reasonalbe enough and know that this isn't just any other job opportunity, talk it over with your employer, if they don't understand and wont be flexible with you, just walk. Honestly, it's the chance of a lifetime, I'd pretty much give up anything for the opportunity if I was ever fortunate enough to get it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Cat28

A question for psni, or anyone who might know?

Im starting hotel g in march, in my 21 weeks, i have a wedding which im bridesmaid in, which falls on a friday, and have a hen weekend also, flights were booked a couple of months ago, so whats my chances of getting 2 friday's off?

Any advice welcome?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 spud09

You should be able to get the friday off for the wedding itself but I dont know if they will give you the friday for the hen weekend. Speak to your SPOC when you get in or PM me and I'l ask around on Monday for you. Just remember though, if you take 5 days in total during your 21 weeks you normally get back squadded so you need to really think about days off in case you get sick or injured.

Is anyone else getting really freaked out about all the car bombs lately? And wishing that you didn't want to do this job lol

Is anyone else getting really freaked out about all the car bombs lately?

yes!!
    And wishing that you didn't want to do this job lol

no way. thats what they want and if we all thought like this then they will have won!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Bifbert

Is anyone else getting really freaked out about all the car bombs lately? And wishing that you didn't want to do this job lol

Absolutely not!!! You could die driving to work this morning or walking to the shops or whatever. Personally I'm not afraid of that happening to me if I got in. You would have to be very vigilante and there is only so much you can do. If dissident republicans want to kill police officers, as it has been said before they only have to get lucky once. The PSNI have to be lucky all the time. I have no doubt that more officers will be injured or killed by people opposed to the peace process and it's a sad way to look at things, but republicanism will always be around and thats a fact. Yes its quite frightening but if you want to do this job you will have to live with that as well as your family. Sorry rant over :):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭unistudent2009

Bifbert wrote: »
    Absolutely not!!! You could die driving to work this morning or walking to the shops or whatever. Personally I'm not afraid of that happening to me if I got in. You would have to be very vigilante and there is only so much you can do. If dissident republicans want to kill police officers, as it has been said before they only have to get lucky once. The PSNI have to be lucky all the time. I have no doubt that more officers will be injured or killed by people opposed to the peace process and it's a sad way to look at things, but republicanism will always be around and thats a fact. Yes its quite frightening but if you want to do this job you will have to live with that as well as your family. Sorry rant over :):):)

I agree. Sadly, its a part of the job but as bifbert said u gotta be vigilant. Someone else said here that you cant let the worry take over your life but you cant become complacent. Do what you will get trained to do and you should be fine!

However, if your non rc and your merit is higher than mine I think you should definately drop out (bit of humour).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Bifbert

I agree. Sadly, its a part of the job but as bifbert said u gotta be vigilant. Someone else said here that you cant let the worry take over your life but you cant become complacent. Do what you will get trained to do and you should be fine!

However, if your non rc and your merit is higher than mine I think you should definately drop out (bit of humour).

likewise............please!

I agree with Bifbert this is a job were you gota be vigilant. If your in anyway scared or intimated by these thugs I would sit down and take a good think about the career choice.

No I know, I totally agree like; if everyone just got scared then we'd have no security services and that would be a disaster. I just said I wish this isn't what I wanted to do; i.e. I'll always want to do it and have always wanted to do it (why, I don't know lol) but sometimes I wish I didn't want to cuz as you say it can be quite scary. Aye I could die in an hour's time of some random cause, but being in the police does heighten your chances slightly lol =p it's just scary and a scary thing to bring your family into. As I said though, I couldn't ever change my mind that this is what I want to do, let's just hope I get to fulfill that dream; what happens, happens for a reason and all that.

Lol, don't worry, I'm not in the merit pool stage yet, I'm just waiting to do my IST at the moment.

• Advertisement

I must be weird well because all these attacks just makes me want this more! Don't get me wrong now I don't have a death wish or anything it's just almost like motivation for me, like it makes me want to get in so much so I can make a difference (not that one person's going to change anything but you know what I mean!) I don't think anything could change my mind on this.

We probably are all a bit mad but well...:D

Advertisement