Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭beca

I must be weird well because all these attacks just makes me want this more! Don't get me wrong now I don't have a death wish or anything it's just almost like motivation for me, like it makes me want to get in so much so I can make a difference (not that one person's going to change anything but you know what I mean!) I don't think anything could change my mind on this.

We probably are all a bit mad but well...:D

brings a new meaning to the annoying posters you see in work... you dont have to be mad to do this job but it helps

i agree makes me more determined too but i dont think im weird :pac: :pac: :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Fatony

All these attacks definately makes me more determined..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 spud09

If you look back to the troubles there was always an increase in applicants after an atrocity. It makes me more determined to stay in. Just keep an eye out. Remember to check your car every time and vary your routine. Things like that make it all the harder for someone to cause you harm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Jay_Jay

Hey, im new to all this but am just curious

Whats the PSNI's view on tattos? I heard it wasn't an issue as long as it wasn't visible while in uniform, is this true?

Also, i tottaly agree on these attacks making me more determined...want to get in so badly and im only 18!..just waiting on my IST results...=(

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭BoutYe

Jay_Jay wrote: »
    Hey, im new to all this but am just curious

Whats the PSNI's view on tattos? I heard it wasn't an issue as long as it wasn't visible while in uniform, is this true?

Pretty much, as long as its not sectarian in nature or otherwise offensive. I've seen people with quite a few tattoos.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭wannabe2010

Aye as long as it's not massive and/or offensive to anyone - that includes swear words etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭sharan

Hi Im new to this so apologies if its in the wrong area.

I have received my pass letter through to the AC so am delighted.

However can someone advie me if you were declared backrupt, who this would effect the recruitment process? My business failed so was looking for advice whether i should continue with AC. Phoned Deloitte they had no idea.

sharan wrote: »

However can someone advie me if you were declared backrupt, who this would effect the recruitment process? My business failed so was looking for advice whether i should continue with AC. Phoned Deloitte they had no idea.

I seem to remember reading something about bankrupcy and applying but I really can't remember what or where it was, but then if Deloitte don't know I'd say you would be fine, might possibly slow up your vetting a bit when you got to it but I can't see any reason for it ruling you out, it's a job afterall not a mortgage! Just go for it...at the end of the day it's better to try than not and never knowing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭unistudent2009

sharan wrote: »

you should ring external appointments. They are police staff and will give you the right answer or will point you in the direction of someone who knows.

Just ring the non-emergency line and ask the operator for external appointments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 peter_green

• Advertisement

Over here!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Double Oh Seven

I'm here to kick ass and chew bubble-gum, and I'm fresh out of bubble-gum :cool:

I'm here to kick ass and chew bubble-gum, and I'm fresh out of bubble-gum :cool:

i aint got none left but will have to stock up tomorrow because as of 44 minutes ago, i no longer smoke! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Little Loki

beca wrote: »
    i aint got none left but will have to stock up tomorrow because as of 44 minutes ago, i no longer smoke! :eek:

Giving up smoking is bad for you!!!! I tried and my stress levels went up and i fought wit my bf and had a rough trip, now i've cut down, which is way more healthier!!!!

Okay Marlborough paid me to say that

Funny, literally an hour ago, as I flicked a cigarette away and almost coughed up a lung, I announced that I'm going to start cutting down. I reckon because I received a pass letter my mind has started to wonder about how fit I'd be for duty IF I got in, so for my health's sake (and my wallet's sake), I'm cutting down from tomorrow onwards.

Giving up smoking is bad for you!!!! I tried and my stress levels went up and i fought wit my bf and had a rough trip, now i've cut down, which is way more healthier!!!!

Okay Marlborough paid me to say that

i went from regal filter to golden virginia roll ups saying it was healthier. didnt work, im too lazy to roll!
    Funny, literally an hour ago, as I flicked a cigarette away and almost coughed up a lung, I announced that I'm going to start cutting down. I reckon because I received a pass letter my mind has started to wonder about how fit I'd be for duty IF I got in, so for my health's sake (and my wallet's sake), I'm cutting down from tomorrow onwards.

well let me know how it works for you... im slightly worried for my pocket, severly worried that i will be beat up by GV staff in their horror at my fitness levels and ultra worried that i now have a hole in my carpet in the car because i dropped cig today :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Rentacop

PMSL, I whole heartily wish you damnest of courage. This was to be my devil, but I can put it off a little longer now. regardless you gotta nail it or you wont be fit enough. If you're fit you can smoke occassionally, but the opposite is not true. Btw thanks for link it made it a heck of lot easier

Rentacop wrote: »
    PMSL, I whole heartily wish you damnest of courage. This was to be my devil, but I can put it off a little longer now. regardless you gotta nail it or you wont be fit enough. If you're fit you can smoke occassionally, but the opposite is not true. Btw thanks for link it made it a heck of lot easier

OK, that was slightly a lie, I got bought a 20 pack at work today so I will finish them because its a total waste! then im off them and on the patches, any of your tried them before? they left me with a slightly weird feeling, like a dead arm?

Beca: I remember a few years back when I had a "I'm DEFINITELY quitting!!" phase and I went onto the rollies thinking they were healthier / safer. I found out after a few weeks of weaning myself onto them, that they're actually even worse for you then normal smokes!

I heard a good technique not so long ago that worked for someone I know. He went to the shop and bought a packet of cigs, let's say they cost him £5.80 or so. He went home, took the wrapper off the packet, pulled out the wee silvery bit of paper, walked over to the sink, and just poured water all over them. He had to prove to himself just what a WASTE of money smoking actually is. He hasn't smoked since.

Beca: I remember a few years back when I had a "I'm DEFINITELY quitting!!" phase and I went onto the rollies thinking they were healthier / safer. I found out after a few weeks of weaning myself onto them, that they're actually even worse for you then normal smokes!

I heard a good technique not so long ago that worked for someone I know. He went to the shop and bought a packet of cigs, let's say they cost him £5.80 or so. He went home, took the wrapper off the packet, pulled out the wee silvery bit of paper, walked over to the sink, and just poured water all over them. He had to prove to himself just what a WASTE of money smoking actually is. He hasn't smoked since.

aye but they use chemicals in smokes to dry the tobacco out, where as rollies are sundried so ye aint smokin drain cleaner and bleach! :confused: i realise im just making excuses now! lol

when i read that technique, i genuinely did feel a wince of pain, like when you watch youv been framed and somebody skiis into a tree crown jewels first! :eek:

• Advertisement

when i read that technique, i genuinely did feel a wince of pain, like when you watch youv been framed and somebody skiis into a tree crown jewels first! :eek:

I know what you mean, and personally I'm too scared to try it. But they say smoking is like setting your money on fire, i.e. it's a total waste. Obviously you can't set cigarettes on fire, or we'd all gather round and inhale, so drowning them is the next best thing to prove to yourself what a waste it is.

£6.48 for 20 marlboro red, brings a tear to my eye sometimes but hey, we all need our vices

£6.48 for 20 marlboro red, brings a tear to my eye sometimes but hey, we all need our vices
    I know what you mean, and personally I'm too scared to try it. But they say smoking is like setting your money on fire, i.e. it's a total waste. Obviously you can't set cigarettes on fire, or we'd all gather round and inhale, so drowning them is the next best thing to prove to yourself what a waste it is.

if we all smoke, then we will all be unfit and GV staff can say fudge all to any particular individual? not gonna work but willbe an excuse for next few days anyhow!

i aint drownin nothin! lol

well ive a mate whos TSG and he smokes a LOT lol

well ive a mate whos TSG and he smokes a LOT lol

me too but they seem to be fit and then smoke, not get fit while smoking. :mad:

anything else you guys are going off? im off the booze now, i always seem to have drunken injuries at the worst times!

I've a mate who got through GV on a 40-a-day habbit right up until the night before he started!

I'm spending £140 a month on cigarettes, roughly. Which is money better spent towards paying bills, so I'm going to stop it. Definitely. Well probably. Well maybe. Sometime. Perhaps. Actually...*puts on coat*

don't drink that often these days with dissertation (suppose i should to drown my sorrows lol)

but have been starting to hit the weights to build upper body strength over the pst week or 2. nothing too mad, once my finals are out of the way ill be gyming it 3-4 days a week to get into shape

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Rentacop

OK, that was slightly a lie, I got bought a 20 pack at work today so I will finish them because its a total waste! then im off them and on the patches, any of your tried them before? they left me with a slightly weird feeling, like a dead arm?

Hmm yeah I had dead arm, weird nightmares and sleeplessness, but they worked, I was off for about 4months, then a night out, few drinks and bobs yor uncle, im back on them. Got of them the longest by just going cold turkey, no patches, just food and activity to occupy your mind. All in its a willpower thing moreover than anything else imho.

Rollies with tips have go to be 'healthly', I cant smoke straights, they screw my lungs right up. Have you tried just eating a pack of cigarettes, aparently that can have the effect of putting you right off, pretty discusting, maybe why it could work???

Just a thought.

Have you tried just eating a pack of cigarettes, aparently that can have the effect of putting you right off, pretty discusting, maybe why it could work???

Just a thought.

Similar to a youngster being forced to smoke a whole packet? I always thought that would never work, until a month or so ago. I'm a 'heavy' smoker, 20-30 a day, so I'm well used to it. But this one particular night, I had a huge argument with the missus and I drove around for a while to clear my head, and I smoked one after the other, maybe 7 cigarettes in a row. Then I had to pull the car over and was physically sick at the side of the road. And it DID put me off for a full day.

So maybe eating a box of feeeeegs would be just the cure!

• Advertisement

I've a mate who got through GV on a 40-a-day habbit right up until the night before he started!

I'm spending £140 a month on cigarettes, roughly. Which is money better spent towards paying bills, so I'm going to stop it. Definitely. Well probably. Well maybe. Sometime. Perhaps. Actually...*puts on coat*

LMAO my thought exactly! but id have to go out a drive, my mum and dad DETEST smoking altogether :(
    don't drink that often these days with dissertation (suppose i should to drown my sorrows lol)

but have been starting to hit the weights to build upper body strength over the pst week or 2. nothing too mad, once my finals are out of the way ill be gyming it 3-4 days a week to get into shape

I had a pint earlier but thats me done, i was off the drink from i put in my application til the night after my ist, with the exception of 1 pint a week before test!
    Hmm yeah I had dead arm, weird nightmares and sleeplessness, but they worked, I was off for about 4months, then a night out, few drinks and bobs yor uncle, im back on them. Got of them the longest by just going cold turkey, no patches, just food and activity to occupy your mind. All in its a willpower thing moreover than anything else imho.

Rollies with tips have go to be 'healthly', I cant smoke straights, they screw my lungs right up. Have you tried just eating a pack of cigarettes, aparently that can have the effect of putting you right off, pretty discusting, maybe why it could work???

Just a thought.

i had dead arm, burning on my arm for about half an hour after a fresh patch and kept dreaming about my friends in a... 'romantic' way, with freakish nightmare speckled in there too :eek: first night out on the drink and i was away again. me aint eatin the cigs, ill finish whati have and then stop

Advertisement