Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Rentacop

Similar to a youngster being forced to smoke a whole packet? I always thought that would never work, until a month or so ago. I'm a 'heavy' smoker, 20-30 a day, so I'm well used to it. But this one particular night, I had a huge argument with the missus and I drove around for a while to clear my head, and I smoked one after the other, maybe 7 cigarettes in a row. Then I had to pull the car over and was physically sick at the side of the road. And it DID put me off for a full day.

So maybe eating a box of feeeeegs would be just the cure!

to be sure to be sure, smoke 10 in a row, then eat the other 10, then buy another pack and just soak them under the tap.

I'll eat my hat if that dont work. (hmm I dont wear a hat??)

also be careful you dont like kill yourself by poisoning (smoking too many to fast can kill you cant it??), so have paramedic on standby just incase :D

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭beca

Rentacop wrote: »
    to be sure to be sure, smoke 10 in a row, then eat the other 10, then buy another pack and just soak them under the tap.

I'll eat my hat if that dont work. (hmm I dont wear a hat??)

also be careful you dont like kill yourself by poisoning (smoking too many to fast can kill you cant it??), so have paramedic on standby just incase :D

so can smoking and wearing a patch... :eek: oops

we will buy you a hat with the feg dosh we save ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Double Oh Seven

I'd probably buy a 200 box with the money I saved, the edgit that I am :rolleyes:

boys and girls im off to my bed, up at about 7am tomorrow morning! fun fun :rolleyes:

nighy night :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Double Oh Seven

I'll have been IN work for an hour by that time, my alarm goes off in just over 4 hours and I've yet to make it to bed, so enjoy your lie in! :mad:

• Advertisement

I'll have been IN work for an hour by that time, my alarm goes off in just over 4 hours and I've yet to make it to bed, so enjoy your lie in! :mad:

i lay in past the time i should have left for work! oopsy daisy :rolleyes:

just drowned my fegs :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭cesc77

<mod snip> I feel I spoke honestly and extremely practically earlier.I dont care how many are in for it, you should never give help that you didnt have. Support and general chat of course but some things ...no. Anyway,wish those through all the best and we will see. <mod snip>

cesc77 wrote: »
    <mod snip> I feel I spoke honestly and extremely practically earlier.I dont care how many are in for it, you should never give help that you didnt have. Support and general chat of course but some things ...no. Anyway,wish those through all the best and we will see. <mod snip>

This is not a HUGE life ending competition for me, if it is for me, it wont go by me.

I help people because I know how it feels to get a fail. I would not wish a fail on anybody regardless of weather they are a bluffer of deserve to get the job because I know how much it hurts. Even you!

In the quietness of your own heart, read over your pass letter if you got one and just ask yourself how many of the competencies do you actually fill? I myself probably dont fill every single one of them but I try to be a decent person in life, thats what counts in my mind. If you are opposed to helping people, are you really suited to a career in the police? No need to reply to this, just consider it in your own head.

I realise this will probably get snipped or deleted but I felt I needed to say that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭cesc77

I have taken your points on board and was too vociferous and blunt in my first postings.I wish you all the best.Im not that bad really... :) I will grow on you,promise...Sorry psni ..no more inane witterings

cesc77 wrote: »
    I have taken your points on board and was too vociferous and blunt in my first postings.I wish you all the best.Im not that bad really... :) I will grow on you,promise...Sorry psni ..no more inane witterings

:cool: cool beans

do you think the recruitment has changed much since you last tried? i remember somebody told me they used to have a spelling test as part of the IST?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭BoutYe

There was indeed a spelling test. It was the first part of the IST. You had a passage and had a set time to go through it and highlight the spelling and punctuation mistakes etc.

BoutYe wrote: »
    There was indeed a spelling test. It was the first part of the IST. You had a passage and had a set time to go through it and highlight the spelling and punctuation mistakes etc.

Aww why must they change things, that would've been exactly my cup of tea! I'm not totally perfect at spelling and punctuation when it comes to doing it myself, but for some reason I pick up on nearly every little mistake someone else makes, god help work when they produce something with bad spelling, grammar etc etc in it! I annoy the life out of people with it but well, someone has to do it :D

Aww why must they change things, that would've been exactly my cup of tea! I'm not totally perfect at spelling and punctuation when it comes to doing it myself, but for some reason I pick up on nearly every little mistake someone else makes, god help work when they produce something with bad spelling, grammar etc etc in it! I annoy the life out of people with it but well, someone has to do it :D

me too!! its just not our year this year :(

could they not have a test bit more ;);) cop related??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Kaori

beca wrote: »
    LMAO my thought exactly! but id have to go out a drive, my mum and dad DETEST smoking altogether :(

I had a pint earlier but thats me done, i was off the drink from i put in my application til the night after my ist, with the exception of 1 pint a week before test!

i had dead arm, burning on my arm for about half an hour after a fresh patch and kept dreaming about my friends in a... 'romantic' way, with freakish nightmare speckled in there too :eek: first night out on the drink and i was away again. me aint eatin the cigs, ill finish whati have and then stop

My friend (who only really smoked when she was having a drink) stopped smoking completely after reading Allen (sp?) Carr's Easyway to Stop Smoking. I was highly skeptical that it would work for me as I smoked 20 a day and thought I enjoyed them but it worked! :) I will admit I have had a couple when out having a drink but it would amount to about 7 cigs since I quit in August...have saved lots of pennies and would recommend the book to anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭wannabe2010

I smoked for about 7 years and got that Allen Carr book (there's lots of versions of it.. even one for women *raises eyebrow* but anyway).. I actually didn't get round to reading it cuz the doctor told me if I didn't stop (due to my asthma) I would pretty much die soon lol and then next month I started coughing up blood so I took that as a sign and stopped... there's nothing you can do to stop until you have some philosophical epiphany (sp?) of your own I think.. you gotta just 'realise' by yourself that it's actually completely pointless! Sounds easier than it is.. I know! Good luck! I could do with quittin the beer too lol oh dear, wonder how well my medical will go down if I get that far :|

Wow - now there's an incentive! Well done :) I had actually visited the dentist just before reading the book. He told me my gums would suffer if I didn't stop in the near future so having that at the back of my mind definitely helped. I know what you mean about the beer, I would save more money if I quit pear cider...it's ok to have one vice though isn't it? ;)

I read a bit about the medical, was relieved to see the fitness testing isn't until you are lucky enough to get in - plenty of practice time!

Kaori wrote: »
    Wow - now there's an incentive! Well done :) I had actually visited the dentist just before reading the book. He told me my gums would suffer if I didn't stop in the near future so having that at the back of my mind definitely helped. I know what you mean about the beer, I would save more money if I quit pear cider...it's ok to have one vice though isn't it? ;)

I read a bit about the medical, was relieved to see the fitness testing isn't until you are lucky enough to get in - plenty of practice time!

iv tried that book but didnt work on me! fair enough i skipped out the odd chapter, the one where all it said over and over was: this is the easy way to quit and it works... just stop now. but what is the way... it never feckin got to this magical all holy grail way... and if he thinks im just gonna stop he got another think coming.

however, that book did work on a belfast taxi driver i know, so i suppose miracles can be achieved with it

PS, my earlier attempt of drowning my fegs, failed... miserably. however, im off the beer in a sense that until my AC is over, im not going out to get airbegged. i will have 1 cheeky pint in the pub occassionaly but thats it and i havent missed it. been like that with booze since i got my IST date letter. :cool:

beca wrote: »
    iv tried that book but didnt work on me! fair enough i skipped out the odd chapter, the one where all it said over and over was: this is the easy way to quit and it works... just stop now. but what is the way... it never feckin got to this magical all holy grail way... and if he thinks im just gonna stop he got another think coming.

however, that book did work on a belfast taxi driver i know, so i suppose miracles can be achieved with it

PS, my earlier attempt of drowning my fegs, failed... miserably. however, im off the beer in a sense that until my AC is over, im not going out to get airbegged. i will have 1 cheeky pint in the pub occassionaly but thats it and i havent missed it. been like that with booze since i got my IST date letter. :cool:

I know a Bangor taxi driver it worked on :)

Well done with the beer, one thing at a time, eh? In my efforts to get fit (in case I get through) I've agreed to take part in the marathon relay on Monday so I'm having a quiet weekend myself.

Hey folks! Just wondering what other peoples views are on this. Was reading something a while back about future recruitment and training etc. and it mentioned the possibility of introducing pre-entry qualifications such as IT and first aid certificates, and possibly even some sort of policing certificate when recruitment drops again at the end of the 50:50.

What do you guys think about this?

Personally, I think it's a brilliant idea and I would welcome it. I think it would deter those who apply for the PSNI simply because it's a job an it pays alright, for example I know of people who were all on for going for the PSNI, then when they got their IST invitation decided they didn't want to anymore because they didn't realise there was going to be tests and that involved and couldn't be bothered with it!! (and I'm so glad they did after hearing that!)
    I think it would help to ensure that only those who are really commited to it get the place, especially when recruitment drops off and every place really does count.

Any other views?

www.nipolicingboard.org.uk/psni_training___development_strategy_2009-2012______final_ve.pdf
    ^Thats where I read it in, quite and interesting little read actually if you've half an hour spare sometime!

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭fefe5

Thanks pluginbaby, thats an intresting document for quite a few things!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Adolphus

It is an interesting idea, as long as it would not evolve into a situation where, like some of the North American police forces, you have to pay for the actual police training itself once you are accepted. There is one police force I read about, in Canada I think, that charges you $10,000 for your time at the police academy.

Adolphus wrote: »
    It is an interesting idea, as long as it would not evolve into a situation where, like some of the North American police forces, you have to pay for the actual police training itself once you are accepted. There is one police force I read about, in Canada I think, that charges you $10,000 for your time at the police academy.

Yeah I agree sometimes it can be taken to the extreme and it becomes a bit of a joke, I spent 6 months in America a few years ago and the in place I was at to become a "proper" police officer you had to first be a "summer cop" for a certain amount of years. These guys were extremely hard done by, they had to pay for absolutely everything themselves including uniforms, worked utterly insane shifts and got paid pennys, they would have been much better off living on tips alone working in a restaurant.

Things like that and insane charges for training etc. I disagree with, but pre-entry qualifications I like :)

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭gigity gigity

For anyone interested, The Garda will be recruiting soon so register with public jobs to be updated.
    Its worth a shot, since it appears the PSNI are slowing down recruitment it could always be an option for anyone who really wants to be a police officer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

For anyone interested, The Garda will be recruiting soon so register with public jobs to be updated.
    Its worth a shot, since it appears the PSNI are slowing down recruitment it could always be an option for anyone who really wants to be a police officer.

Thanks for posting Gig - I should add that the old requirement for proficiency in the Irish language has been dropped for a few years now. I realise that in the past that may have deterred some applicants from N.I. but that no longer applies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 life_of_west

I know this has probably been mentioned before but is there much difference in pay between the garda and the PSNI?

I don't know much about Garda pay but I do know that in training they get an allowance of around 200 per week which is substantially less than P.S.N.I. . On the other hand they do receive a rent allowance when not in the Garda College and that can add up to a nice few quid or so I believe.

Overall there are apparently something like 54 different allowances in the Gardai ( I stress though that rarely would a member be in receipt of more than 3 or 4 of them at any given time ).AFAIK the only allowance in the P.S.N.I. is the Northern Ireland Transitional Allowance.

Worth bearing in mind though that the word around the campfire is that the Government in the Republic is looking at severely pruning the range of allowances paid to Guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭gigity gigity

Is there anyway of transfering from the guards to the PSNI?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭B182

I think i read before you cant transfer from another force to psni so no

No , definitely not . You would have to go through the full process like all other applicants.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭1979SD

Just to save me Reading through all the post's - could someone tell me how many people are going to be recruited in this current campaign? Also, have the vetting forms started going out or medical dates or even dear johns? I know people are receiving AC results at the moment. And does anyone know when the merit numbers are available to find out? Sorry if all this information is already available to me - i didn't fancy wading through all the posts! Many thanks to whoever replies and feel free to stick in any relevant info you may have.

All the best and thanks again

Advertisement