Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Mary McAleese speaking at passing out in Garnerville today:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0723/psni.html

Im loving in particular the closing paragraph:

'You are sacred custodians of this time and of the future that, with your help, will fill what John Hewitt called so memorably 'the centuries' arrears.'

Check it out.

PS. Congrats to all 41 new recruits, stay safe out there ;)

Yeah - I was impressed with her words . I wish she didn't have only 2 years left in office.

It's worth reflecting that 20 years ago the President of the Republic attending a Police passing out parade in Belfast would have been quite inconceivable - it shows the distance travelled.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

delancey42 wrote: »
    It's worth reflecting that 20 years ago the President of the Republic attending a Police passing out parade in Belfast would have been quite inconceivable - it shows the distance travelled.
    Completely agreed. I was delighted to see her there.

It's coming up on the RTE1 news after the break for anyone who has it.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Cashflow

psni wrote: »
    Completely agreed. I was delighted to see her there.

I wasn't, meant we had to get into tunics

Cashflow wrote: »
    I wasn't, meant we had to get into tunics

Gee Cashflow , I thought you would have wecomed an excuse to dress up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

SJAG wrote: »
    The constable was a total jobsworth.

I literally pissed myself with laughter when I read that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭beca

Cheers for posting that, it's nice to see really positive articles like that about the police rather than the usual damning and critical ones that you normally get. Made me jealous though :rolleyes: ah what I would give to have a passing out parade...

me too!! :( i like the freezer even less now

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭beca

SJAG wrote: »
    'Fixed Penalty Notices may be taken into consideration when attendant circumstances indicate a blatant disregard for the law'

i would take that to mean being caught speeding 3 times ie you never learnt your lesson and it obviously wasnt 3 times when you genuinely didnt realise you were a bit over the limit so id say 2 different offences are ok ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭gigity gigity

This may seem like a silly question but when do the PSNI actually find out how much doe rae me they are getting?

This may seem like a silly question but when do the PSNI actually find out how much doe rae me they are getting?

Official word is that in Autumn a clearer picture of the fiscal outlook will emerge - no decisions over the summer holidays then.
    I have to say that the re-deployment of a large number of the training staff to other duties does suggest that large numbers of new recruits are not currently envisaged. :(

Official word is that in Autumn a clearer picture of the fiscal outlook will emerge - no decisions over the summer holidays then.
    I have to say that the re-deployment of a large number of the training staff to other duties does suggest that large numbers of new recruits are not currently envisaged. :(

Maybe the leaves falling from the trees will magically turn into money...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭pma1983

I had a missed call from an unknown number yesterday, hmm .... wishful thinking I guess!

pma1983 wrote: »
    I had a missed call from an unknown number yesterday, hmm .... wishful thinking I guess!

Probably a telemarketing call :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 42 c1964

Another way of looking at the recruitment freeze optimistically would be that if the current Torrie/Lib Dem Government were to collapse, Labour get re-elected, end of problem :D
    What do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭gigity gigity

Dream on...........what are the chances?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭VES86

we all had a laugh at the recent post explaining the top 10 reasons people quit on day 1

wheres this..i could do with a chuckle....and then a rant about it with my friends who are also frozen

Nothing is impossible, the Labour Party seem more concerned about National Security compared to that of the current coallition. But it is nice to dream :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

VES86 wrote: »
    wheres this..i could do with a chuckle....and then a rant about it with my friends who are also frozen

Here

c1964 wrote: »
    Another way of looking at the recruitment freeze optimistically would be that if the current Torrie/Lib Dem Government were to collapse, Labour get re-elected, end of problem :D
    What do you think?

Wait...politicians fixing a problem somebody else caused?? When did this start happening? Or for that matter when did they ever fix anything period :rolleyes:

I watched an interview with Lord Carlisle last week on the BBC. I believe he was a former security adviser to the Labour government and he reckons that the cutbacks in the Policing budget as a whole, will leave the UK wide open to possible terrorist attacks. Do the current government not realise this?

Personally I think David Cameron has been handed a lousy position thanks to the Labour Party - they created this colossal deficit that if the current govt. do not tackle then the UK will go bankrupt.
    It is always easy in these cases for the party in opposition to snipe at the Goverment cuts but cuts there will have to be and regardless of who is in power Policing will come under significant financial pressure.

• Advertisement

Hi Delancey42,

I'm not apportioning blame to any particular party. We're in a similar position in the South of Ireland. I believe greed was the cause of the problems we face today. The financial institutions put in place to regulate the banks were non existant. Unfortunately public spending is cut across the board in all departments. But at what cost to the average Joe/Jane?

You are quite correct , Greed and Incompetence from a few and we all pay. Did anyone notice what the Home Office have suggested ? - that shortfalls in Police Recruitment be made up by increasing the number of Special Constables ( unpaid ) in England and Wales - from the current number of around 15,000 to increase to around 50,000 :eek:

The words, flying, a and kite come to mind when are political masters put out "suggestions" like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭pma1983

Random story from today...

So I'm waiting on my wife to pick me up in the car after work and the pick-up point just happens to be across the road from a police station. She is ten minutes late and I'm standing there as normal with my newspaper rolled up in my hand. As she drives in to collect me two police officers walk towards me and ask to see inside my paper as I could be deemed a threat to the local station :eek:! They said security were watching me and to be fair I was being nosey and watching everyone who entered or left the building, very random, as I stand there everyday!

Anyway after browsing my paper I quickly tell them that I've recently passed my medical and am wanting to be one of them guys! We started chatting and they told me just to keep applying (if obviously a new campaign begins) but hopefully I would get in next year or so (although they never came across as being in the know or anything like that).

Finally one of them asks to see my paper and wrote down some tips for the ac which he said helped him and to be fair I can see now why I passed as I had carried out a lot of what he said!

Just thought I would share my random PSNI story with everyone!

That is all :cool:.

So I'm waiting on my wife to pick me up in the car after work and the pick-up point just happens to be across the road from a police station. She is ten minutes late and I'm standing there as normal with my newspaper rolled up in my hand. As she drives in to collect me two police officers walk towards me and ask to see inside my paper as I could be deemed a threat to the local station :eek:! They said security were watching me and to be fair I was being nosey and watching everyone who entered or left the building, very random, as I stand there everyday!

Anyway after browsing my paper I quickly tell them that I've recently passed my medical and am wanting to be one of them guys! We started chatting and they told me just to keep applying (if obviously a new campaign begins) but hopefully I would get in next year or so (although they never came across as being in the know or anything like that).

Finally one of them asks to see my paper and wrote down some tips for the ac which he said helped him and to be fair I can see now why I passed as I had carried out a lot of what he said!

Thats your vetting up the spout then :D

Only joking of course , a nice story and thanks for sharing it .

Care to pm me those tips for when I ever get the opportunity to use them agian? :P

Ah looking shifty outside police stations is always going to get you attention, or even not sometimes...I remember when I was in school you passed the police station to walk into town, it's got the big bollards all the way along the footpath outside, so one day it was unbelievably sweltering hot so we sat on them for a min for a break, about 5 mins later a police man emerged from the little station/window thing at the front and asked us what we were doing and told us to move along...we were all of about 15 at the time! I was like seriously what are we going to do :D

On another note, was at the petrol station the other day and a police woman pulled up at the other side of the pump from me, so I figured I'd chance my luck and ask her if she knew any inside knowledge about the freeze...she just laughed and was like "I wish, I know people in the same situation and they won't stop asking me!" Knew it was a complete long shot like but you never know!

Which brings me to a question I've always wondered...when an officer is filling up a patrol car, do they use their own money and claim it back off expenses later? Or do they have some sort of a squad credit card or what? That's just always intrigued me a bit.

Which brings me to a question I've always wondered...when an officer is filling up a patrol car, do they use their own money and claim it back off expenses later? Or do they have some sort of a squad credit card or what? That's just always intrigued me a bit.

I'm reliably informed they turn out the pockets of all prisoners and use the proceeds to keep the fleet mobile :D
    Meant as a joke but with the cuts coming down the track, who knows that may become reality :eek:
    I would imagine they operate an account at designated fuel stations but thats just a guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭cesc77

I'm reliably informed they turn out the pockets of all prisoners and use the proceeds to keep the fleet mobile :D
    Meant as a joke but with the cuts coming down the track, who knows that may become reality :eek:
    I would imagine they operate an account at designated fuel stations but thats just a guess.
    Mightnt be to far from the truth that delancy.I think I read somewhere about the police now using criminals supercars which have been seized as they couldnt prove they had been purchased with legitimate earnings.

Can you imagine the traffic cops eyes lighting up when the crims motors roll in to the yard.Hope I have picked that one up correctly and they dont just auction them off for the proceeds.

Ouch... If that's the case they picked by far the most expensive station around! Right enough though it's always the same one I see them filling up in, never any of the others, so you could well be right. They need to shop around unless they do them one hell of a deal because their prices are a complete rip off!!

• Advertisement

I would suspect that more important than price is availability - grand to use the cheapest station but not much use at 0400 hrs if it's not open.

Advertisement