Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

cesc77 wrote: »
    Mightnt be to far from the truth that delancy.I think I read somewhere about the police now using criminals supercars which have been seized as they couldnt prove they had been purchased with legitimate earnings.

Can you imagine the traffic cops eyes lighting up when the crims motors roll in to the yard.Hope I have picked that one up correctly and they dont just auction them off for the proceeds.

It may well be true though using supercars previously owned by criminals has a sting in the tail - namely servicing /spare parts/repairs , etc.

During the 'Troubles ' my Father drove into a ' firefight ' and got his car shot up ( he was very lucky not to have been killed/injured ).
    At the time he drove a Mercedes (Co. car ) and the repair bill for new windows , doors , etc actually exceeded the cost of the 4 year old Mini he had bought my mother the previous week ! Fancy cars = fancy repair bills.

Probably better off in the long run from a taxpayers perspective to auction off the supercars and use the proceeds to buy Skodas - though a lot less fun for the Traffic cops :p

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭beca

Which brings me to a question I've always wondered...when an officer is filling up a patrol car, do they use their own money and claim it back off expenses later? Or do they have some sort of a squad credit card or what? That's just always intrigued me a bit.

Delancys right on the money but some larger stations have their own pumps i hear ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭1986j

I was looking to buy a Mondeo ST220 that a lot of traffic cops use.

Great car.

Also just general question, I have a very distinctive number plate. If you get in do they advise you to change your car etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭beca

1986j wrote: »
    I was looking to buy a Mondeo ST220 that a lot of traffic cops use.

Great car.

Also just general question, I have a very distinctive number plate. If you get in do they advise you to change your car etc?

no idea, but i know from personal experience that i always notice the bright green car that drives past me onthe way to work everyday. so, if you have a distinctive car with will be noticed driving in and out of the station everyday - number plate less noticeable but you never know who lives opposite the station and sees it

Stay Grey and keep low profile so I would guess driving a very flash car might draw unwanted attention. Thats for the boys - for the girls the advice is no micro skirts :D

• Advertisement

delancey42 wrote:
    for the girls the advice is no micro skirts :D

I didn't know psni issued micro skirts... Is this part of a new summer uniform being brought in to make the organisation more appealing to the public :P tight vests for the lads too? I'd be appealed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

deepest_swimming_pool_14.jpg

Check out the new merit pool. With some C 16 candidates in it.

Hopefully not to long to go. I'll get my coat.

See that little speck at the bottom of the ladder, second rung up from the bottom?? That'll be me methinks! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 42 c1964

I reckon if I'm fortunate to get into the PSNI, I better take the bus as my Dublin reg car will stand out like a sore thumb :D Can Police Officers travel free on the bus?

c1964 wrote: »
    I reckon if I'm fortunate to get into the PSNI, I better take the bus as my Dublin reg car will stand out like a sore thumb :D Can Police Officers travel free on the bus?

Looks like you'll be another 1st day leaver :D. AFAIK officers in London get some free travel ( not unlimited mind ) but to my knowledge in Norn Iron you get zilch in terms of free transport.

• Advertisement

I was in NY in 2003 with twenty odd colleagues as guests of the Essex County Sherrif's Dept marching in their Paddy's Day parade. We bought tickets to travel up to Manhatten for some shopping before we returned home to Ireland and got talking to some Transit cops. They gave out to us for buying the travel tickets and told us to flash our warrant cards in future, as far as they were concerned, a cop was a cop the world over, what a trip :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭cesc77

lol...just thinking of all the fellas....and ladies who love their wee motors and are thinking..."ffs,I have to drive a grey fecking skoda felatio...errr..."or something lol

Bloody necessary Im sure as they tell you on the first day.

I was in NY in 2003 with twenty odd colleagues as guests of the Essex County Sherrif's Dept marching in their Paddy's Day parade. We bought tickets to travel up to Manhatten for some shopping before we returned home to Ireland and got talking to some Transit cops. They gave out to us for buying the travel tickets and told us to flash our warrant cards in future, as far as they were concerned, a cop was a cop the world over, what a trip :D

Yeah,the American cops love their perks.Coffee shops and bars.Soldiers tend to get a favourable reception from everyone when dressed in uniform...unlike here...or really anywhere in the UK.

Ridiculous...these guys should be feted and set for life after touring.

skoda felatio

A Freudian slip there perhaps Cesc ? :D

OT I know but I couldn't let it pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭B182

a mate of mine who works in police has had few nice cars like mk4 golf , mk5 golf gti says they are very common the golf gti's and few scoobies also so doesnt seem to be an issue thou maybe a lime green modified saxo 1.1 with a ear breaking exhaust wouldnt be good lol or anything really modified or eye catching

I guess you can always debadge your car. Shame as I was looking to get a 2.8i Ford Capri or a st220

I guess you can always debadge your car. Shame as I was looking to get a 2.8i Ford Capri or a st220

Jayz , why not buy some BP shares ( cheap at the mo ) , you might as well given the thirst those cars have.

Its how you drive them lol If I squeezed 30mpg out of them I would be happy. I am not a petrolhead but I just really like certain cars, particularly the Mondeo as it looks pretty innocuous yet goes like stink.

Current car gets around 55mpg in mainly city driving

Current car gets around 55mpg in mainly city driving

Who's it made by - Hoover ? :D

LOL

Its actually a VW...Though I drive it like a hoover

• Advertisement

Out of curiosity,1986j,have you ever caught sight of a lime green(luminescent) mondeo with full body kit,quad lights from around a decade ago....ooooh..

They are the same colour as a few of the wee vw foxs I think in the same colour.I liked the sts but this was the nuts.

delancey42 wrote: »
    A Freudian slip there perhaps Cesc ? :D

OT I know but I couldn't let it pass.

I prefer the Skoda Labia.Freud would approve methinks.

You mean I'm gonna have to sell my bright yellow lambo gallardo if I get in?? :D ha I wish!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Can Police Officers travel free on the bus?
    Not at all. Anyone who displays their warrant card on a bus intending to travel for free is playing a dangerous game. You never know who's on the bus looking at you. There are no 'perks' like there are in other countries.

Out of curiosity,1986j,have you ever caught sight of a lime green(luminescent) mondeo with full body kit,quad lights from around a decade ago....ooooh..

They are the same colour as a few of the wee vw foxs I think in the same colour.I liked the sts but this was the nuts.

Nah man, there are a couple of the older st 220 and st24 around but I think the Mk4 Mondeo st220's are the nicest. Mainly come in black or a nice bluey/purple.

A lot of older ones are white. I had a Mondeo before and found them to be sweet. There are a lot more sweet cars about Belfast that I thought - Standing around the town working you will see 8-10 Skylines a night, countless Impreza's and Supras and a few M3/M5's

Nah man, there are a couple of the older st 220 and st24 around but I think the Mk4 Mondeo st220's are the nicest. Mainly come in black or a nice bluey/purple.

A lot of older ones are white. I had a Mondeo before and found them to be sweet. There are a lot more sweet cars about Belfast that I thought - Standing around the town working you will see 8-10 Skylines a night, countless Impreza's and Supras and a few M3/M5's

....and you deny being a ' Boy Racer ' - liar :p

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭BoutYe

Just in relation to the question about filling up your car and paying for it - I've never heard of any station where that happens. Designated stations have petrol pumps and you fill your vehicle there.

Maybe PSNI will know for a fact if it happens somewhere else but it doesnt in my district anyway to the best of my knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭MustBeCrazy

BoutYe wrote: »
    Just in relation to the question about filling up your car and paying for it - I've never heard of any station where that happens. Designated stations have petrol pumps and you fill your vehicle there.

Maybe PSNI will know for a fact if it happens somewhere else but it doesnt in my district anyway to the best of my knowledge.

Same here :cool:

psni wrote: »
    Not at all. Anyone who displays their warrant card on a bus intending to travel for free is playing a dangerous game. You never know who's on the bus looking at you. There are no 'perks' like there are in other countries.
    Sorry PSNI, that was meant as a joke. I've no problem paying my way through the world, especially on public transport, as you rightly say, you you don't know who's looking at you. ;)
    I was just worried about a Dublin reg car coming and going from Garnerville if I was lucky enough to be selected, was there anything in place to help overcome this?

• Advertisement

Sorry PSNI, that was meant as a joke. I've no problem paying my way through the world, especially on public transport, as you rightly say, you you don't know who's looking at you. ;)
    I was just worried about a Dublin reg car coming and going from Garnerville if I was lucky enough to be selected, was there anything in place to help overcome this?

AFAIK you are required to re-register a vehicle within 6 months of bringing it into Northern Ireland. Of course there is nothing to stop you applying for registration immediately.

Advertisement