Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Cashflow

Free coffee in starbucks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Cashflow wrote: »
    Free coffee in starbucks.

Wow ! What about Doughnuts ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 42 c1964

Thanks Delancey, I suppose similar rules apply here. Would it also mean changing driving licence to a U.K. one?
    As for Starbucks, that would be great :D

BoutYe wrote: »
    Just in relation to the question about filling up your car and paying for it - I've never heard of any station where that happens. Designated stations have petrol pumps and you fill your vehicle there.

Maybe PSNI will know for a fact if it happens somewhere else but it doesnt in my district anyway to the best of my knowledge.

So they just pull up at the designated pump, do the business, and drive off? And the station just puts it through to the account without them even having to go in? Cool (if that's how it is!)

I still find it hard to believe that not all stations have their own pumps. It would be a lot safer filling up in a secure location.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭MustBeCrazy

So they just pull up at the designated pump, do the business, and drive off? And the station just puts it through to the account without them even having to go in? Cool (if that's how it is!)

When boutye said 'designated stations' he meant police stations. As far as I'm aware (at least in my district) nobody fills up their patrol car in a petrol station - they go to the nearest police station that has petrol pumps.

HTH

Has anybody had a gander at this? The Spending Challenge
    Just came across it today, quite a funny idea actually, basically the government can't be bothered to think up their own ways to save money so set up something like this and get other people to do the thinking for them!

Some interesting and good ideas, but some idiotic and terrible ideas aswell! Alot of "get rid of the PCSO", "amalgamate all forces to one", "have one car manufacture specifically produce all vehicles", "down with paperwork, more officers back on the beat" etc etc...
    My personal fav..."Close or reduce non essentials such as Canteens, Gym's, Bars. If they don't return a profit than consider closing. We don't need these facilites. Except packed meals when called to an operation, which is going to take several hours." Sooo....police don't need gyms? Really?? :rolleyes:

MustBeCrazy, thanks for clarifying that, I misunderstood. This explanation makes more sense and seems more secure.

When boutye said 'designated stations' he meant police stations. As far as I'm aware (at least in my district) nobody fills up their patrol car in a petrol station - they go to the nearest police station that has petrol pumps.

HTH

Aah I see now, too many "stations" involved I picked it up wrong, my bad :D
    Would there be many areas that don't have pumps within the station? That police woman I was talking to the other day was definately putting petrol in the car...thinking about it now most of the other times I've seen them at this station they've been "parked" at the pump and I never seen them physically put petrol in so could be they just parked there, but I've definately seen them filling up before occasionaly...ran out maybe?!

Pluginbaby, isn't it amazing how the tax payer bails out the banks with billions of pounds, the banks begin their recovery. The executives of the banks return to paying themselves huge salaries, nobody gets punished for what they've done except the taxpayer with public and civil service cuts, make sense?

• Advertisement

c1964 wrote: »
    Thanks Delancey, I suppose similar rules apply here. Would it also mean changing driving licence to a U.K. one?
    As for Starbucks, that would be great :D

AFAIK a UK driving licence is required to drive P.S.N.I. vehicles or undertake the driving course. I'm sure others here would know for certain.

Has anybody had a gander at this? The Spending Challenge
    Just came across it today, quite a funny idea actually, basically the government can't be bothered to think up their own ways to save money so set up something like this and get other people to do the thinking for them!

Some interesting and good ideas, but some idiotic and terrible ideas aswell! Alot of "get rid of the PCSO", "amalgamate all forces to one", "have one car manufacture specifically produce all vehicles", "down with paperwork, more officers back on the beat" etc etc...
    My personal fav..."Close or reduce non essentials such as Canteens, Gym's, Bars. If they don't return a profit than consider closing. We don't need these facilites. Except packed meals when called to an operation, which is going to take several hours." Sooo....police don't need gyms? Really?? :rolleyes:

I have asked this question before but nobody seems able to answer : Northern Ireland employs ( at taxpayers expense ) some 30,000 ' community workers ' , anyone care to tell me just what the f~#k these people actually do ?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭sharan

organise riots to train officers? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭B182

sharan wrote: »
    organise riots to train officers? :)

They pay people to do this lol I reckon place an advert in paper, were they aren't paid instead prob get flooded with applications

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭MustBeCrazy

Aah I see now, too many "stations" involved I picked it up wrong, my bad :D
    Would there be many areas that don't have pumps within the station? That police woman I was talking to the other day was definately putting petrol in the car...thinking about it now most of the other times I've seen them at this station they've been "parked" at the pump and I never seen them physically put petrol in so could be they just parked there, but I've definately seen them filling up before occasionaly...ran out maybe?!

Can't honestly say 100% but I've never experienced it. Anytime I've been out in patrol cars/landrovers in district and during driving courses etc they've always filled up in police stations. I'd be surprised if they're supposed to fill up in petrol stations anywhere, but in this job I should learn to really not be surprised by anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭pathway

I'm just thinking..... The Merit list should be out soon for C16.........hmm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-11056195

Just thought this one in particular deserves to be put up here incase anyone hasn't seen it...man in court over attempted murder of the police woman during the Arydone riots. )

pathway wrote: »
    I'm just thinking..... The Merit list should be out soon for C16.........hmm

Sometime in September - word is early in the month - I wouldn't bet the house on that though :rolleyes:

I was on the website for the Police Ombudsman last night ( wanted to read the report on the 1972 Claudy Bombings ).
    I came across this list of reports of actual incidents investigated by the Ombudsman .
    I would advise anyone interested in a career with the P.S.N.I. to make the time to take a read through just a few of these reports , though not directly referring to recruitment they give a valuable insight into the sorts of incidents and situations the Police are involved in and also the intense scrutiny Officer's actions can be subject to.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭notbrazil

As for the merit list, I phoned them the other day and they informed me it won't be out until mid September.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭rookie_boarder

delancey42 wrote: »
    I was on the website for the Police Ombudsman last night ( wanted to read the report on the 1972 Claudy Bombings ).
    I came across this list of reports of actual incidents investigated by the Ombudsman .

What about the officer who shot him/herself in the foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭wanadrum

That made me laugh - it sounds like a the start of a joke like!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 lauralush04

Hey just wondering if anyone is in the same boat as me, got my accessement score today and got a 56, which ive heard is a good score ( i hope) However still havnt received vetting forms yet and i sat my accessement about 2 months ago!!! :(

I know everyone is really just guessing whats going on but just wondering anyone get around the same as me and not received vetting???

I would guess your religious background is NRC? It appears that no-one who is nrc with less than about 60 in AC has recieved vetting forms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 spankers24

Hi all,
    Hows it going?
    Been a while since ive been on here. Just wanted to say congrats to everyone on their scores for the ac.
    I got 56 in mine but havent rang yet to get merit number.
    Does anyone have a direct number for them? i dont want to keep pestering the ones at the exchange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 zzz101z

Hey wanadrum, I'm nrc, got 58 and got my vetting forms 2days after ac. Only placed around the 200 mark on merit list.

delancey42 wrote: »

What about the officer who shot him/herself in the foot!

Hahahaha....only in Ballymena hai could such a thing happen!! That's just brilliant :D

Some interesting reads in there though...

Thanks for that, gives us an idea of where the cut off point is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Gee-22

Does anyone know what happen to MrsGeneHunt? She used this forum a year or two ago.

• Advertisement

As far as I know she got in mate - not 100% sure though!

Advertisement