Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭B182

wanadrum wrote: »
    As far as I know she got in mate - not 100% sure though!

X2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Gee-22

B182 wrote: »
    X2
    In the last campaign?

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭wanadrum

Not sure

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

MrsGeneHunt got in and hasn't been online since last May.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Anyone else here see that Hampshire Constabulary has announced it will shed 1400 jobs over the next 5 years in order to meet savings targets ?
    The cuts to forces in England and Wales look savage and if the P.S.N.I. freeze continues I really see very little opportunity for people to try for a force across the water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭beca

delancey42 wrote: »
    Anyone else here see that Hampshire Constabulary has announced it will shed 1400 jobs over the next 5 years in order to meet savings targets ?
    The cuts to forces in England and Wales look savage and if the P.S.N.I. freeze continues I really see very little opportunity for people to try for a force across the water.

unless their name is already in the pot ;)

beca wrote: »
    unless their name is already in the pot ;)

Hmmm , maybe so but an awful lot of forces have freezes in effect now and that leaves applicants in exactly the same position we are in.

Hmmm , maybe so but an awful lot of forces have freezes in effect now and that leaves applicants in exactly the same position we are in.

Plus are alot of their freezes not more like the Met's than our's...more of a wipeout than a freeze for those in the middle of the process. Bad times all round for wannabe coppers (and possibly current ones) :(

On another note, read in a local paper today about them rolling out Blackberrys to officers to try to help keep them out of the stations so much and reduce time spent doing paperwork, thus getting more out on the beat and whatnot...seems a bit of an expensive way to do it but then it would be bringing the PSNI more up to date with the times. It just makes me have visions of Jack Bauer/24 type things :D:D

On another note, read in a local paper today about them rolling out Blackberrys to officers to try to help keep them out of the stations so much and reduce time spent doing paperwork, thus getting more out on the beat and whatnot...seems a bit of an expensive way to do it but then it would be bringing the PSNI more up to date with the times. It just makes me have visions of Jack Bauer/24 type things :D:D

....might also make it easier for them to keep up to speed with this forum......:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭BoutYe

....might also make it easier for them to keep up to speed with this forum......:pac:

Not quite I'm afraid - official PSNI business only. Mine doesnt work.

• Advertisement

BoutYe wrote: »

That wouldn't be because you dropped it by any chance?? Was sitting having a coffee on my break a few weeks ago when two police officers just walked past, one pulled out what looked like a Blackberry anyways...next thing it goes flying on the floor, pieces everywhere, all I heard was "sh******tttt" and the other one says "mate you only got this morning, you're in for it now I tell ya" I know I shouldn't have but I laughed out loud :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭grad10

BoutYe wrote: »

So I hear, most of the guys I know with one leave it lying in their locker!

That wouldn't be because you dropped it by any chance?? Was sitting having a coffee on my break a few weeks ago when two police officers just walked past, one pulled out what looked like a Blackberry anyways...next thing it goes flying on the floor, pieces everywhere, all I heard was "sh******tttt" and the other one says "mate you only got this morning, you're in for it now I tell ya" I know I shouldn't have but I laughed out loud :D

Hasnt worked out of the box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Lucky23

Seeing as this is a general thread anyone see this news story? http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/bombers-used-video-cameras-to-spy-on-mi5-base-14947375.html

I found it interesting reading how they were spying on MI5. And I knew there was an MI5 prescence in NI but I didn't realise it was the largest MI5 base outside London. A 33% increase in agents & analysts you say? Either throw some of your budget to the PSNI or where is the recruitment application for this please? Dont tell me........ it's a secret! I'll maybe track down a few republicans, seeing as they've been watching they'll probably know!

Google MI5 and you will probably be able to apply - good luck.

As for the article - half of it is a load of balls. Do people realise how far away the bomb was from MI5 building?

How would these terrorists distinguish between MI5 operatives and soldiers, their families, civvi staff etc going into Palace Barracks?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭sharan

MI5 were recruiting about a year or so ago for security officers, i applied but never heard a thing back from them

Now you won't hear from them as it is meant to be kept secret....

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭gigity gigity

You should check out the mi6 website. there is a pretty cool test you can do to test your potential.

Given that I have the looks and body of James Bond I think I'll apply to MI6 :D

Given that I have the looks and body of James Bond I think I'll apply to MI6 :D

Ha ha, word on the street is that your more of miss moneypenny!

• Advertisement

Ha ha, word on the street is that your more of miss moneypenny!

Cheeky Git / Mare ( dunno your gender Gig ) !

Actually I always thought Miss Moneypenny was a very attractive more 'Mature' woman - I had a friend whose mother was the image of her - a real Yummy Mummy .

Im all man.Yummy mummy alllllllll riiiiiiiitttttttttteeeeee! gigity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭0607

wanadrum wrote: »

How would these terrorists distinguish between MI5 operatives and soldiers, their families, civvi staff etc going into Palace Barracks?

Why would they need to? Any vehicle entering the premises could then be targeted, and the rest is down to pure luck. They dont need to know who it is, they just know they frequent a british army base = target.

I know that - but the media made such a fuss about it being an MI5 base, when in reality they got nowhere near the MI5 building.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Gee-22

It's a bit quiet in here today.

Here's a general question for you guys;

Why PSNI? Maye I'm missing something obvious here, but I can't figure it out. I assume anyone and everyone applying for PSNI lives in Northern Ireland.

A short drive away (depending on where you live, of course) are An Garda Sìochàna. I am no politian, nor have I any huge insight into PSNI/Garda pay, but under general assumptions, people in the Republic tend to be on better pay, do they not? I assume this also translates into AGS/PSNI.

Aside from wages, the job of a Garda seems to be so much easier. Everytime I hear about PSNI, they're either getting bombed or in a riot of some description. Of course this isn't a round-the-clock thing, I'm sure they have their fans, but PSNI always seem to have a rough time dealing with someone.

When I look at AGS, the 'Shell to Sea' Gardaì seem to have it worst in this country than most other Gardaì, and even those guys don't have it all too bad.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not taking anything away from AGS. I love AGS. I think they're all great men and women and I've never had a bad experience with them. I also realise that PSNI are generally better taken care of. They have better resources, equipment, gear, etc. for rougher situations than AGS would have (I believe).

But at the end of the day, Garda just seems a much handier job than Police Officer.

I assume if anyone is applying to join either, and is posting on boards and looking into it, then you've already noticed this, and are still ploughing ahead with your PSNI application anyway.

So, as I say above, my question is... Why PSNI?

You pose some interesting and worthwhile questions KKV.

Why P.S.N.I. over AGS ? The reasons are many and varied and of course an obvious one is that many P.S.N.I. applicants are from Northern Ireland and understandably want to live near their families/friends .

I suppose a better insight can be gained from those from the Republic seeking to join the P.S.N.I. ( over 1,000 in this campaign )-pay : while it may appear higher in the South , factor in the appalling cost of living there and Garda pay doesn't look quite as attractive.
    Unless you have a Leaving Certificate you can't apply to AGS whereas you can apply for the P.S.N.I.
    Age - many P.S.N.I. applicants from the Republic are over 35 and hence unable to join the Gardai.
    Remember too that the P.S.N.I. actively recruit on all-island basis - something the Gardai never do.

I think the most pertinent fact is that in every campaign a number of serving Gardai apply to join the P.S.N.I. - those I have spoken with cite factors such as lack of challenge in their current roles as being a big reason for applying to P.S.N.I.
    They also see mention the belief that the P.S.N.I is better equipped.
    I have to say I am not aware of P.S.N.I. officers seeking to join AGS ( not saying it does not happen mind ).
    There is , in my opinion , a widespread perception in Northern Ireland that to apply to AGS a level of proficiency in the Irish language is required , notwithstanding that this is inaccurate I believe this acts to discourage a lot of applicants from N.I.

On a final note , yes , perhaps a Garda would have a quieter life ( in some areas ) but many P.S.N.I. applicants don't want that sort of career.

Doubtless others here will have some interesting and informative opinions on your questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

So, as I say above, my question is... Why PSNI?

Because it is a challenging job and not something to impress the parish back home.*

*Personal Feelings.

I have no interest in joining the ADS because I'm from NI and have grown up wanting to be a police officer in NI.

Also I think it would simply be a much better and challenging career in the PSNI.

• Advertisement

I'll tell you why PSNI over AGS. For me its because i'm from the North and therefore want to work and live in the north.

From what I have been told, the reason for our friends from Mexico is because it is actually easier to get into the PSNI than AGS for southerners (as they tend to be catholic and therefore "benefit" from 50/50) Now i'm sure thats not the only reason, just my experience from talking to people who struggled numerous times to get into AGS and then applied once and got into PSNI.

Advertisement