Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Gee-22 wrote: »
    Right folks, I have a question for one of the guys in the know.

I will be on honeymoon next august. What would happen if I recieved a call to start on a date that overlapped the honeymoon?

You could well have a difficulty there - if it were a case of deferring to the next intake you might be ok but in a situation where they want you to start in , say , May and your honeymoon is in August it could get tricky I reckon.
    I am aware of instances where people have got a few days off from GV to get married but no way would they permit a honeymoon during training.
    As far as I know requests for deferments are considered on an individual , case-by-case basis.

I have heard that other than for reasons of exams , deferments are normally just until the next intake , I'm sure others here would have some direct experience of these matters.

Of course in seeking a deferment you would want to be pretty certain that there was going to be an intake to defer to , something that in the current financial climate it would be unwise to assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭1986j

I think from those who got the call last week one RC between 350-360 and NRC between 50-60 got called up, this is open to correction though. It's unlikely your merit would be that high as you would have a recieved a Dear John by now so take comfort from that!

- tv

Could any number-nerds post the scores of those who got the call last week and their background?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Kizwiz

1986j wrote: »
    Could any number-nerds post the scores of those who got the call last week and their background?
    hi, the lowest merit score for a nrc that got the call was 120-140(ac score of 58) as far as i can see. I am in the hope that a place will be kept for me pending vetting as i am a nrc with a merit of 100-120!

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭B182

Kizwiz wrote: »
    hi, the lowest merit score for a nrc that got the call was 120-140(ac score of 58) as far as i can see. I am in the hope that a place will be kept for me pending vetting as i am a nrc with a merit of 100-120!

A place will be kept with that kinda merit but only prob is how many training dates there will be after this one and how long your vetting takes.

With the Dec intake to me merit score had no relevance imo as it was all about whos vetting was cleared and medical passed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭TangoVictor

Kizwiz wrote: »

PMA1983 got in with merit of 50-70, not sure if RC/NRC though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Kizwiz

PMA1983 got in with merit of 50-70, not sure if RC/NRC though.
    It was jp84 who got in with score of 120-140(nrc).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Gee-22

delancey42 wrote: »
    You could well have a difficulty there - if it were a case of deferring to the next intake you might be ok but in a situation where they want you to start in , say , May and your honeymoon is in August it could get tricky I reckon.
    I am aware of instances where people have got a few days off from GV to get married but no way would they permit a honeymoon during training.
    As far as I know requests for deferments are considered on an individual , case-by-case basis.

I have heard that other than for reasons of exams , deferments are normally just until the next intake , I'm sure others here would have some direct experience of these matters.

Of course in seeking a deferment you would want to be pretty certain that there was going to be an intake to defer to , something that in the current financial climate it would be unwise to assume.

That's what I thought. Just hope it those paths dont cross.

At least my missus said she would understand, though I would probably spend the rest of my days making up for it. Lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭TangoVictor

though I would probably spend the rest of my days making up for it. Lol.

No probably about it!! :eek:

- tv

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭gigity gigity

Hello, I read in the paper on friday that the psni would be not be facing any cuts as the minister for justice has vowed to protect the budget and also that he would be trying to get some more cash to handle the dissident threat.

Im taking it thats good news for us as they will have the money for recruitment then?
    Or does the money for recruitment come seperatly?

Hello, I read in the paper on friday that the psni would be not be facing any cuts as the minister for justice has vowed to protect the budget and also that he would be trying to get some more cash to handle the dissident threat.

Im taking it thats good news for us as they will have the money for recruitment then?

Well , I suppose I would consider that ' encouraging ' news though I would remind everyone that these are the words of a politician :rolleyes:
    Having said that , as far as I know recruitment is funded by the general Police budget and thus a preserved , or better still , increased budget , would be good news for potential recruits.
    I still think savings will be required at some point though - for example there have been suggestions that a planned programme of upgrading/replacing Tangi Landrovers will be cut back or delayed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭BoutYe

That's what I thought. Just hope it those paths dont cross.

At least my missus said she would understand, though I would probably spend the rest of my days making up for it. Lol.

Don't change your plans for the wedding. If you are off for more than 5 days during training you are backsquaded so obviously if you have your wedding during training you cant have your honeymoon at the same time.

As long as there are intakes you should have no problem deferring your start date. There were people in my squad who had defered for quite a number of intakes. I can't recall now exactly how many but it was possibly 5 or 6.

Unfortunately for you there is the uncertainty over how many more intakes there are going to be. At the least I would say don't be worrying about it now. You can make any of the upcoming intakes and still be finished before your wedding.

And the good news is that once you pass out there is no problem having your wedding and honeymoon at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Dietcoke1

When the organisation finally wakes up and gets rid of the waste of space FTR and recurits young KEEN police officers to take their place that will go a long way to handle the dissident threat and saving money.

I'm sure this question has been asked before.

I might have been caught speeding this morning (running late for work).

If I pick up 3pts will that affect my application? I don't currently have any points.

I'm sure this question has been asked before.

I might have been caught speeding this morning (running late for work).

If I pick up 3pts will that affect my application? I don't currently have any points.

If you get a letter telling you that are to get 3 points then that is a ' notifiable change of circumstances ' and you must notify Vetting.
    In my opinion 3 points on your licence is probably not going to be a ' show-stopper ' but failure to tell vetting about it allows your integrity to be questioned and seriously jeopardises your application , failing to declare it makes it easy for your application to be rejected.

If you get a letter telling you that are to get 3 points then that is a ' notifiable change of circumstances ' and you must notify Vetting.
    In my opinion 3 points on your licence is probably not going to be a ' show-stopper ' but failure to tell vetting about it allows your integrity to be questioned and seriously jeopardises your application , failing to declare it makes it easy for your application to be rejected.

Yeah thats what I was hoping. Fingers crossed i avaided their speed gun.:(

Dietcoke1 wrote: »
    When the organisation finally wakes up and gets rid of the waste of space FTR and recurits young KEEN police officers to take their place that will go a long way to handle the dissident threat and saving money.

Several PSNI officers I know have spoken very favourably about the Full Time Reserve and certainly do not consider them a '' waste of space ''.

Several PSNI officers I know have spoken very favourably about the Full Time Reserve and certainly do not consider them a '' waste of space ''.

A few facts

The FTR in some areas are currently are in response sections along with regular officers taking the place of regular officers. This is wrong!

On paper this will up the numbers in the section.

For example if a section has 8 cons with 2 FTR the strenght will show as 1 and 8, however,

FTR do not and refuse to do observer turns and in turn do not do any of the paper work that is involved in a response section.

This puts extra pressure on the cons in that section to take on files as the FTR will just turn up too work and drive a car( well paid taxi drivers )

In my opinion they are a very bad example to young officers.

They really believe they are hard done by even though they are on 3 year contacts and most have made careers from the job.

They are still receiving rent allowance and therefore they are costing the organisation much more than a hard working young con who is doing all the work.

So in summary they are Dead Weight in a response section and should be gotten rid of ASAP.

I was not aware of how they operated in a section of regular constables.

In any event the plan is that the FTR will be history fairly soon - it may prove to be the last Patten recommendation to be implemented.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bc84

was it a hairdryer speed trap? or a fixed camera?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭notbrazil

I personally know FTR men and I think your broad generalization is very unfair. Many full-time reservists have served through some of the very worst episodes of the Troubles and in some of the worst stations. Many have applied to join the PSNI every year since 2001 in order to avoid being kicked out. These men have served for many, many years without any chance of promotion - if they were regular RUC officers they would be in higher ranks.

As much as we all feel that recruitment to the PSNI could be organized better, I don't think many people believe that new recruits should come at the expense of losing the experience of the Full Time Reserve.

• Advertisement

bc84 wrote: »
    was it a hairdryer speed trap? or a fixed camera?

Back of a van job.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭1986j

A family member is a paramedic.

They said in Belfast there are only 4 fixed working speed cameras. The majority are to catch people jumping lights.

notbrazil wrote: »
    I personally know FTR men and I think your broad generalization is very unfair. Many full-time reservists have served through some of the very worst episodes of the Troubles and in some of the worst stations. Many have applied to join the PSNI every year since 2001 in order to avoid being kicked out. These men have served for many, many years without any chance of promotion - if they were regular RUC officers they would be in higher ranks.

As much as we all feel that recruitment to the PSNI could be organized better, I don't think many people believe that new recruits should come at the expense of losing the experience of the Full Time Reserve.

Well I personally work with them and I cant wait till they go!

Many have applied to join post 2001 yes but tell me why these "Police officers" did not apply pre 2001????? They are happy to complain about how hard done by they are and how the 50/50 is wrong but never applied pre 2001 WHY? Because they have had it so handy so no they would not have been higher ranks!

Your last point just makes my blood boil and the same every time I hear <mod snip> bull**** about these experience men.

I would have 1 officer straight from G/ville rather than two of them any day.

They have no interest in the job.
    They are getting paid to drive and some dont even drive.
    They dont take files or do any paper work which in turn puts extra pressure on the over worked response officers.
    It is near in impossible to get them out of the station to patrol if any sort of football match is on.
    They cost the organisation more than a regular officer who actually does police work.
    Experience means nothing if the person has no interest.

You may know them but do you work with them????????

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Hold on.

This is the PSNI Recruitment forum. It's not the Rage Against The FTR forum. You're not the only one in the job to have these views (although some are a bit more diplomatic in their wording), but they don't belong in this forum. Organisational politics can be discussed in the Politics forum or in any of the North forums.

The FTR are slowly being done away with, so take a deep breath and realise that you're ranting in the wrong direction at the wrong people!
    They dont take files or do any paper work which in turn puts extra pressure on the over worked response officers.

Well I personally work with them and I cant wait till they go!

Many have applied to join post 2001 yes but tell me why these "Police officers" did not apply pre 2001????? They are happy to complain about how hard done by they are and how the 50/50 is wrong but never applied pre 2001 WHY? Because they have had it so handy so no they would not have been higher ranks!

Your last point just makes my blood boil and the same every time I hear <mod snip> bull**** about these experience men.

I would have 1 officer straight from G/ville rather than two of them any day.

It is near in impossible to get them out of the station to patrol if any sort of football match is on.
    They cost the organisation more than a regular officer who actually does police work.
    Experience means nothing if the person has no interest.

You may know them but do you work with them????????

Well based on what you are saying I don't blame them, I blame your Sgt! If they weren't allowed to get away with it then it wouldnt be happening!! And just to balance it out - i know "fine young recruits" who are just about as lazy as they come - I'll not tar everybody with the same brush.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Fair point.
    BoutYe wrote: »
    Well based on what you are saying I don't blame them, I blame your Sgt! If they weren't allowed to get away with it then it wouldnt be happening!! And just to balance it out - i know "fine young recruits" who are just about as lazy as they come - I'll not tar everybody with the same brush.

BoutYe wrote: »

Cant blame one individual Sgt in one section, its just the done thing that they do not do paper work all over, I blame the organisation as a whole for letting it happen.

Yes some recurits are lazy but at least they are another body for obs and in turn take pressure of the section.

Cant blame one individual Sgt in one section, its just the done thing that they do not do paper work all over, I blame the organisation as a whole for letting it happen.

Yes some recurits are lazy but at least they are another body for obs and in turn take pressure of the section.

Well we could go in circles here but the simple fact is the Sgts do the detailing - the responsibility lies with them.

Forget FTRs, ditch the POPTs! Chocolate teapots the lot of them. The thing they're best at is walking away from trouble.

• Advertisement

Are there any other cans of worms left unopened at this stage?
    Forget FTRs, ditch the POPTs! Chocolate teapots the lot of them. The thing they're best at is walking away from trouble.

Advertisement