Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

fefe5 wrote: »
    May be totally wrong here, but with the way bank holidays were over Christmas, I'm thinking it will be the end of this week / start of next week... In all honesty tho, I have no idea like most people, just having a guess and hoping that my vetting is clear when the calls do come out! :rolleyes:

I would concur with fefe , my personal guess also would be end of this week / early next week. Hey , we'll know soon enough :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

delancey42 wrote: »
    I would concur with fefe , my personal guess also would be end of this week / early next week. Hey , we'll know soon enough :rolleyes:

Fingers, toes, legs, arms, tounges, eyeballs, eyebrows, ears and elbows crossed that a few of us Indians get the call Delancy!!

*Never realized how many body parts begin with 'e'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Gee-22

guys im in garnerville at the moment there is 100% going to be another intake so get your mobiles ready! good luck!:D

We would like another 5 intakes.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭princess deity

shampon wrote: »
    Fingers, toes, legs, arms, tounges, eyeballs, eyebrows, ears and elbows crossed that a few of us Indians get the call Delancy!!

*Never realized how many body parts begin with 'e'

Lets hope the wind doesn't change LoL....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Sri19

Congratulations to everyone who has got the call so far! I'm still waiting like many and hoping "the call" will come tomorrow! On a separate note I see that the building work for the new police college will start next year and be ready for 2014! Maybe it makes sense now why they are working on a few refurbishments in g'ville! I'm sure they won't keep us waiting until 2014!lol!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭heffomike54

Random question time folks, with the new police college seemingly definitely going to happen, any ideas on the future on Garnerville? Will the buildings be used for something else or just closed down and move everything to the new college?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭johnnyf1

If people are getting accepted that surely means they get moved out of the merit pool as it is no longer applicable.

Does that mean that we all get bumped down the order to a lower merit score?

If that is the case then would your new merit score tell you how many were recruited in this intake by subtracting the two scores?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Gee-22

johnnyf1 wrote: »
    If people are getting accepted that surely means they get moved out of the merit pool as it is no longer applicable.

Does that mean that we all get bumped down the order to a lower merit score?

If that is the case then would your new merit score tell you how many were recruited in this intake by subtracting the two scores?

Yes- when people above you get the call we move lower in the list.

No- your merit number is your merit number and that doesn't change. So if you rang they would only give you your original number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭0607

Random question time folks, with the new police college seemingly definitely going to happen, any ideas on the future on Garnerville? Will the buildings be used for something else or just closed down and move everything to the new college?

It has been mentioned they would consider putting the land up for sale. The Police Federation will probably move elsewhere, leaving no use for anything that remains. It could be turned into a housing estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

Came home today, had a look in the letterbox and what do I see?
    A big brown envelope with English postage and it was addressed to me!
    So My heart jumps as it's nice and thick, I'm thinkg shammy shampon
    this is it!!
    So I tear it apart at the seems, thinking of biggie when he said
    'It was all a dream...'
    But to my disgust and my dismay, me being a peeler will have to wait till another day...

In other words...thanks for giving me a mild heart attack NI Tourism.

• Advertisement

shampon wrote: »
    Came home today, had a look in the letterbox and what do I see?
    A big brown envelope with English postage and it was addressed to me!
    So My heart jumps as it's nice and thick, I'm thinkg shammy shampon
    this is it!!
    So I tear it apart at the seems, thinking of biggie when he said
    'It was all a dream...'
    But to my disgust and my dismay, me being a peeler will have to wait till another day...

In other words...thanks for giving me a mild heart attack NI Tourism.

Sorry shampon , absolutely nothing personal but I just couldn't resist.......

:D:p

2510825375_176f1608a0.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭princess deity

Sorry shampon , absolutely nothing personal but I just couldn't resist.......

:D:p

2510825375_176f1608a0.jpg

cruel lol........

This is not the first time someone has had heart failure with something in the post - last case I heard was bumpf from a Life Insurance company :rolleyes:

This morning I had a witheld number call , my heart missed a beat ( the triumph of optimism over experience ) '' Hi , this is Tabatha from Vodafone , just checking are you happy with our service......'' , Grrrr :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 nat_

at the moment the joke is on as all.. but we will be laughing in the end! hopefully.. i havent let go of my phone for 3 days now, still waiting, nightmare!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭TangoVictor

Gee-22 wrote: »
    I heard of someone pulling out of the job recently, half way through training.

Does this happen often?

What happens to their place? Does it mean an extra place in the next intake?

This may be of interest to some on here.

-tv

This may be of interest to some on here.

-tv

I had to fill one of those in, at the bottom of that page. Bad memories!

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭wanadrum

I have a friend who got booted out as he was caught on cctv fighting in a bar - whilst his side of the story would seem to somewhat justify his actions, he is an idiot for ever getting involved.

He really would have been a fantastic police officer.

As far as I am aware, and I don't have any proof of this, when someone leaves or is sacked from GV, their space cannot be filled as such, appointments continue to be made on a 50:50 basis.

I have heard so many stupid reasons for people leaving - it's crazy!

Why is marching and drill such a surprise to police recruits? - and anyway, they only have to play the game whilst at GV.

Have to agree with you wanadrum - have these people never seen news footage of passing out parades , where do they think recruits learn foot drill ??
    I was interested to note that childcare issues were a significant factor in people resigning , it suggests people are not considering the impact of shift work on their obligations in that regard.

Have to agree with you wanadrum - have these people never seen news footage of passing out parades , where do they think recruits learn foot drill ??
    I was interested to note that childcare issues were a significant factor in people resigning , it suggests people are not considering the impact of shift work on their obligations in that regard.

Have to say this really surprised me too as the application for the PSNI explains in a very simple way that if you get the job that you will have to work shift, weekends, nights, public holidays etc etc. Most people will know this anyway but its a good idea to have it laid out so clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭fefe5

Has certainly gone quiet on here the past few days...

tumbleweed1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 dixie33

fefe5 wrote: »
    Has certainly gone quiet on here the past few days...

tumbleweed1.jpg

The calm before the storm . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 nat_

i dont know about you but im just exhausted from all that waiting, anxious, slightly frustrated and going a bit crazy.. all in the same time! its killing me not to know whats about to happen...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Sir Harry

I'v given up. Just going to plod on at what I'm doing, at least it's not the worst job out there.

Sir Harry wrote: »
    I'v given up. Just going to plod on at what I'm doing, at least it's not the worst job out there.

Until I get a letter telling me to get lost, I will keep some hope but the lack of info is a killer along with the waiting :( Live in hope ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Sir Harry

Has anyone any idea when the Sec of State is going to issue a statement regarding the 50/50. He was 'minded' to stop it in March and it doesnt look like he has changed his mind going by the lack of media coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭1967J

Until I get a letter telling me to get lost, I will keep some hope but the lack of info is a killer along with the waiting :( Live in hope ;)

Agree with you on this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭wannabe2010

Hey long time no speak! Thought I'd come back on and see how folk were getting on.. and ask if anyone yet knows of any recruitment campaigns in the pipe-line? I am soooo sick of my current job lol :P

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭fefe5

Hey long time no speak! Thought I'd come back on and see how folk were getting on.. and ask if anyone yet knows of any recruitment campaigns in the pipe-line? I am soooo sick of my current job lol :P

Hey, some people heard rumours that there might be one this year. In my honest opinion its unlikely. At the moment most of the rumours are about intakes finishing in March and if there are no more intakes they are not going to waste time and money with another campaign. Even if there was to be maybe one or two more intakes after March, they would just use current campaign...

The big thing will be to wait until March and see what is announced in terms of funding, recruitment etc... yes, yet more waiting :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭1967J

Waiting - aint it great

• Advertisement

Sir Harry wrote: »
    Has anyone any idea when the Sec of State is going to issue a statement regarding the 50/50. He was 'minded' to stop it in March and it doesnt look like he has changed his mind going by the lack of media coverage.

Consultation ends on 3rd February. Thats when everyone will have had their say and expressed whether they feel the need to keep it going, or not. Keep an eye out around that date.

Advertisement