Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

Very, very quiet around here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 mouser1

**** tumble weed blows by ****
    has everbody got the call now except me and shampon hahaha where is everbody?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭fefe5

I reckon its the calm before the storm and people are just trying to shower their heads before it all kicks off again. Calls for March are due to go out in just over two weeks, there should be announcements on finance, 50:50, and post-March intakes to come... Those will all certainly get people talking ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 mouser1

i suppose so, hopefully not to long now..............:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 newboarder

Hey guys,

I've a few quick questions for anyone who has been through their induction.

I have a beard which i know i'll have to get rid of before the training starts but should i shave it off before my induction?

Also what is the dress code for the two visitors who can along with you?

Cheers for any help guys!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭jclegs

newboarder wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I've a few quick questions for anyone who has been through their induction.

I have a beard which i know i'll have to get rid of before the training starts but should i shave it off before my induction?

Also what is the dress code for the two visitors who can along with you?

Cheers for any help guys!

Shave it off before induction as you get your picture taken for your student and warrant cards. I think my relatives wrote trousers/shirt (male) and a trouser suit (female) but I don't think it matters as long as it is smart looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 pure_magick

If you shave your beard off for the picture for your warrant card at induction. You won't be able to grow it back after you pass out because if you do want 2 grow it back, you'll have to pay to get a new warrant with a picture of you with the beard. They tend to put surreal charges on these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

samual_barker_jr_1890s.gif

Shampons Warrant Card.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Cashflow

If you shave your beard off for the picture for your warrant card at induction. You won't be able to grow it back after you pass out because if you do want 2 grow it back, you'll have to pay to get a new warrant with a picture of you with the beard. They tend to put surreal charges on these things.

No you don't, my warrant looks nothing like me now and I dont need it replaced.

Cashflow wrote: »
    No you don't, my warrant looks nothing like me now and I dont need it replaced.

When I was on Stage one of the lads in my squad had grown a beard, same thing he had one before he went in to the college and shaved it off when he started and then decided to grow it back when we got out of g'ville. He was told up at stage training to shave or start organising a new warrant card think an email to his district as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Cashflow

hmm, well I've a beard now that I didn't have, so that might be it - but when does anyone ever really look at your warrant anyway?

Cashflow wrote: »
    hmm, well I've a beard now that I didn't have, so that might be it - but when does anyone ever really look at your warrant anyway?

I know what you mean it wouldn't happen in district but he was asked for it when we were up was probably just unfortunate and got them on a bad day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 luckyb123

Hi Guys,

I read earlier on that the calls for March will be going out in two weeks.

How do we know know? Should'nt they be going out at the start of Feb?

I'm confused. Help. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

There is always a certain amount of guesswork involved in predicting when calls will go out - the guess that it will be mid-February related to when the last set of calls went out ( a little over 2 weeks ago ).

Deputy Chief Constable has decided to forego the huge Patten payout and remain in the PSNI. Quite a sacrifice to make and indicates , in my opinion , a serious dedication.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-12349229

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Gee-22

Fair play to her.

Sounds like she is eyeing up the Chief Constable position after Baggot leaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭wanadrum

She can't be Cheif - none of the deputies were qualiified when Baggot was appointed because they hadn't served in another UK force (this is if memory serves me correctly).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭TangoVictor

wanadrum wrote: »
    She can't be Cheif - none of the deputies were qualiified when Baggot was appointed because they hadn't served in another UK force (this is if memory serves me correctly).

Reckon when someone declines a half mill payout simply because of dedication to the job such technicalities should be overcome one way or another.

Breath, hold, don’t!

- tv

Gee-22 wrote: »
    Fair play to her.

Sounds like she is eyeing up the Chief Constable position after Baggot leaves.

Have to agree with Gee - it does seem logical that DCC Gillespie must have her eye on the number 1 slot though Wanadrum is correct that there was a requirement to have service in another UK force.
    That said I thought I read somewhere that she has served on attachment to The Met :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭rookie_boarder

if and i say IF patton was being extended...for arguements sake, lets say a year, would she still qualify for a big hand out next year...?

• Advertisement

if and i say IF patton was being extended...for arguements sake, lets say a year, would she still qualify for a big hand out next year...?

To my knowledge the answer to that is No , the severance package established by Patten is quite separate to the 50/50 policy.

As I understand it the severance scheme closes in about 8 weeks and there is no question of it being extended ( frankly I think the politicians will be delighted it is ending given the huge cost ).
    50/50 is a separate issue and we all await some news on that in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭fefe5

Just seen this as a headline on the BBC news site!

Man shot dead by off-duty officer in Belfast.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-12360994

• Registered Users Posts: 20 wannabecop

shampon wrote: »
    :eek:. Jesus.
    saw this on news last nite hope the cop didnt do anythin wrong

wannabecop wrote: »
    saw this on news last nite hope the cop didnt do anythin wrong

As per the charter , no Text Speak please and thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 wannabecop

Delancey wrote: »
    As per the charter , no Text Speak please and thanks.

weres the text speak????

World English Dictionary
    cop 1 (kɒp)

— n
    1. another name for policeman

Mod Note - Moderator instructions should not be questioned or otherwise discussed on thread folks. Back on topic please and thanks .

Mod Note - Final Warning : no further comments on the last number of posts . I hope I won't have to issue infractions . Whether a post is made in jest or not I really don't care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Sir Harry

Mod Note - Final Warning : no further comments on the last number of posts . I hope I won't have to issue infractions . Whether a post is made in jest or not I really don't care.
    Do you not think 'I really dont care' is a bit dictatorial and condescending. I understand there are rules to this forum but for you to come on and start issuing threats is wrong. We are all in the same boat and no doubt frustrated with the waiting and maybe we should all lighten up.

Infraction issued to Sir Harry.

If people have issues with regard to moderator actions/instructions the correct procedure is to PM the moderator concerned - the open forum is not the place.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Mod note: The comments referred to by Del have been deleted by me as they are discussing moderator actions.

The charter clearly states: "Moderator actions are not to be discussed anywhere on the forum. PM the moderator in question, or take it to the Feedback forum."

Anyone who refuses to abide by the forum charter will be, and has been dealt with in the usual manner.

Now that we're all on the same page, let's get back to a bit of light-hearted chit-chat.

Advertisement