Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭thebakerboy

What exactly was the police board request in regard about recruitment?

Sorry wrong group of people, updated now. Think my brain needs a rest, just read that back. Meant to type Police federation not Policing board.

Thanks heffomike54 for questioning that.

The bit about 1000 extra officers being made available.

*crosses fingers, toes, arms, legs and eyes for the forseeable future*

Dear PSNI...Pleeeeease spend some of that juicy juicy money on recruitment. One more go, that's all I ask :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Gee-22

An extra 245 million pounds is never a bad thing.

Right let's say, if March was to be the last intake from c16 and they start a new campaign in March/April. That would mean it would be about ten months until any c17ers would be ready to start the first intake.

Can they leave it that long? No point having that extra money if they don't see a result for nearly a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭heffomike54

Bear in a mind, with the new police college being built, the powers that be will surely want a class of students in place ready to go on the opening day, so this will also help give us a possible clue as to recruitment dates.

David Ford has just said on the news that the extra money will be used for things like additional man power.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

Please please please please please puleeeeeeze start another recruitment campaign. That's that then, I am going to be completely insufferable to my family once again!!!

Plugin, my fingers, toes, arms, legs and eyes are all crossed too!

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭gigity gigity

Evening all, was just surfing the world wide web and found this freedom of information request,
    http://www.psni.police.uk/2009_recruit_campaign.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Thanks gig - I note with interest the answer to question 14 where it says that recruitment in 2011 / 2012 is not envisaged .

Delancey wrote: »
    Thanks gig - I note with interest the answer to question 14 where it says that recruitment in 2011 / 2012 is not envisaged .

I think I can cope with no recruitment in 2011/2012. Can't guarantee I wont rip every strand of hair out after that if it is delayed.

I got a little bit of comfort from question 15 where they describe the type of letters that they send out depending on where you are in the pool, going by the methods described its possible that I would be in the 220 of the rc bracket-all we need now is word on more intakes!

• Advertisement

I was actually surprised to find out that less than 25% of the merit pool was made up of rcs in 2009 i was under the impression it was more like a third.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 dixie33

A bit off the current topic here, but I have a few questions I've been meaning to ask regarding the off duty officer who shot and killed a robber weilding a knife at a petrol station a while back.

Firstly, are off duty PSNI officers allowed to have their firearm with them at any time other than to travel to and from work?

Secondly, what is likely to have happened to this officer, if anything, in terms of discipline? As obviously shooting dead a criminal is quite a major thing, especially if the officer was off duty and has the training to utilise the least lethal form of force to subdue the criminal.

And finally, is it possible to tell if the officer was shooting to kill or incapacitate?

I doubt i'll get much more info than i already know but any input in greatly appreciated :)

heres the link to the story incase some of you hadn't heard
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-12363302

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

dixie33 wrote: »
    A bit off the current topic here, but I have a few questions I've been meaning to ask regarding the off duty officer who shot and killed a robber weilding a knife at a petrol station a while back.

Firstly, are off duty PSNI officers allowed to have their firearm with them at any time other than to travel to and from work?

Secondly, what is likely to have happened to this officer, if anything, in terms of discipline? As obviously shooting dead a criminal is quite a major thing, especially if the officer was off duty and has the training to utilise the least lethal form of force to subdue the criminal.

And finally, is it possible to tell if the officer was shooting to kill or incapacitate?

I doubt i'll get much more info than i already know but any input in greatly appreciated :)

I doubt anybody is going to comment on an ongoing investigation.

dixie33 wrote: »

Well, that's a few questions. I know my uncles carried their firearms around with them nearly all the time.

If this was the only option left to him he/she wont face discipline.

Police officers aren't trained to kill intentionally. They are trained to fire their gun at the largest part of the body i.e. the chest .

As already said there can be no discussion of an ongoing investigation.

That said I can say that officers are permitted to carry a Personal Protection Weapon at their discretion.

Disciplinary issues do not arise until the investigation is complete.

There was a discussion on this in the main Emergency Services Forum - check out this link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 dixie33

Thanks guys :D

So when do yous think we will hear the results of the consultation on 50/50?

So when do yous think we will hear the results of the consultation on 50/50?

The consultation period on the future of the 50:50 recruitment provisions ends next week.

http://www.u.tv/News/Church-urges-to-retain-5050-policing/9ce9542b-7a1e-4da3-8557-fbe2958d035d

I would guess there will be a decision and statement at the end of March.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭1986j

Is it possible that they could do an intake in say 2 weeks once a current squad passes out freeing up more room for another intake in the hotel?

I feel like I am close!

1986j wrote: »
    I feel like I am close!

Snap. I feel im an intake away.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Thanks for the UTV link Gee - I was not aware that the percentage of RC applicants have been falling since 2007 , that may well have a bearing on the abolition / retention of 50/50 .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ElizaB

Evening all, was just surfing the world wide web and found this freedom of information request,
    http://www.psni.police.uk/2009_recruit_campaign.pdf
    Just read the freedom of information request. Doesn't paint a good picture. The sooner this is sorted out the better!

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭wanadrum

I was wondering what the average and lowest score for apointments made by CRB - shows how much more competitive the process has been for NRCs.

wanadrum wrote: »
    I was wondering what the average and lowest score for apointments made by CRB - shows how much more competitive the process has been for NRCs.

As far as I can see, no NRC lower than 220 got a call up in c16.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭wanadrum

Hi Gee - yes, I agree, but if you look at the FOI request posted above it shows what the scores arel like, highlighting what a huge difference there is in applying from either side of the community.

Look at the average and lowest scores of those appointed in 2009 according to their CRB:
    NRC Average 58 Lowest 54
    RC Average 49 Lowest 37

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ElizaB

Yeah the statistcs are a real eye opener alright! Here's hoping the end of March will see normal service resumed! Even if the intake numbers drop, it will be worth it to have a fairer process.

In terms of the possible addition of an interview, this would be excellent as it will help identify the relatively high number of people getting in who really shouldn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭sharan

ok so dont want to sound stupid but what exactly are we looking at. After March does all C16 ers finish and a new recruitment starts or do we continue as we wait on vetting etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭thebakerboy

sharan, guess what nobody knows!! What's new?

At the minute nobody knows if there will be a new recruitment campaign or not. The extra money that has been made available could just as easy be spent on equipment, I do hope not.
    As for waiting on vetting to clear, you may hope 50/50 is extended. If it is not the current list will be scrapped as 50/50 was part of the recruitment criteria. All efforts and money spent will be for nothing more than experience. If 50/50 is extended we can hope that appointments will follow the pattern of previous campaigns and as vetting clears you become available for the next intake.

Fingers crossed

Evening folks, theres no need to get disgruntled about the foi post. It basically show that there are 4 times as many nrcs that apply than rcs. So of course the competition is going to be tighter for the 220 places that are available for nrcs. Overall the average scores from both sides were pretty even its the fact that there are 4times as many nrcs in the pool that makes it more difficult to get the much sought after place.

Before patten how many jobs were available per year in the psni?

Food for thought.

• Advertisement

Good point Gig.

It has been said that candidates should not see themselves as competing for one of 440 places in each campaign , rather they are competing for one of 220 places set aside for their grouping , we should know soon if this will continue to be the case.

Advertisement