Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭gigity gigity

Yeah looks very fancy. Just googled new psni training college and found this http://www.4ni.co.uk/northern_ireland_news.asp?id=80313
    just shows how behind everything is.

As for when it will actually open is anyones guess. Probably the same time they start recruiting again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Gee-22

With our elections now complete and David Ford now confirmed as the Justice minister, I wonder will we see any movement on recruitment.

I wonder will it be useful to have the same minister in charge of justice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

All ministers posts were filled today , all that is except Justice......

Alliance got 1 post - are they in a position to get a second ( i.e Justice ) ?

Delancey wrote: »
    All ministers posts were filled today , all that is except Justice......

Alliance got 1 post - are they in a position to get a second ( i.e Justice ) ?

Yes. They had rounds of voting in stormont today after all the other seats had been filled.

Basically the justice minister needs to be a cross community minister and that's the way the justice seat is filled until March 2012.

http://www.dojni.gov.uk/index/media-centre/ford-vows-to-continue-to-deliver-improvements-to-justice-system.htm

Elected today by a cross community vote in the Assembly, David Ford said the foundations for a justice system tailored specifically for the needs of Northern Ireland had been laid during his first year in office.

David Ford said: “It is a great privilege to be re-elected Justice Minister by this new Assembly. During my first year in office, I commissioned detailed work into all aspects of the justice system.

• Advertisement

Just a quick ' heads up ' that the above programme will be about Constable Ronan Kerr ( RIP ) and the cross community reaction to his murder - sounds to be worth a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

psni wrote: »
    Work hasn't started, and there is no set opening date. Even if there is one announced, be skeptical because a project of that size is bound to run in to difficulties along the way.

Feel free to admire artist's impressions of what it should look like when it's complete.

So what's the delay my uncle in law is a Glazier in Belfast. He should be able knock that up in a week? Might have to contract out the steel work.:):)

Plus getting the mower up there is going to be a joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭rookie_boarder

Just a quick ' heads up ' that the above programme will be about Constable Ronan Kerr ( RIP ) and the cross community reaction to his murder - sounds to be worth a look.

god love that guys family and friends, in years to come he'll be talked about over and over again, and used by many different people for soooo many different reasons and point scoring, the lad just wanted a "just" career...

yeah , a very ordinary guy who got targetted by a mixture of his career and his religion....just awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

Watched it very sad, was a wee bit teary eyed by it, he was a gorgeous looking young fella.

Did any hopefuls here watch it with their family? I couldn't make eye contact with my family because I knew what they were thinking in their minds. Sure enough when it was over the first question asked was "Do you still want to join?".

• Advertisement

Felt so sorry for her towards the end when they started talking about how obviously someone close to him, a neighbour or whatever, who found out he was a police officer must've led them to him...that must be an incredibly hard thing to get your head around how someone who he probably knew could and would want to do that.

Was also quite interesting to hear the other Catholic officer say that people have actually told they didn't want to report things in certain areas incase he got called to it and got caught in an ambush situation. Touching to think that people care for his safety so much, yet rather alarming that people are feared to report some things just incase it does provide an ambush opportunity.

just a bit of light reading for all you stat people!
    http://www.psni.police.uk/eqia_recruitment_full_report.pdf
    not up to date, interesting insight i thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭gigity gigity

Cheers will have to take another look at that tomorrow, its certainly not bedtime reading!

Good find rookie :D Shall have a proper gander through it when I get the time!

From pg16:
    "Meet/exceed IST minimum pass mark or be exempt from the IST (exemptions are granted to re-applicants from C3 onwards who have passed the IST in previous campaigns)"

I take it the exemptions bit got removed at some point further down the line? (Only passed the IST once myself but I always figured you just had to do it all over again each time...) That would be pretty sweet however to not have to do it again!

For the first few years after the PSNI came into being you did not have to sit the IST if you had passed it the year before - somehwere along the line that exemption was dropped.
    Several tweaks were made to the recruitment process over the years , for example at one time everyone had to do the PCA ( fitness test ) , there was some kind of firearms handling test also , these requirement and others were removed over the years.
    Quite possible that when/if recruitment resumes the process will not be exactly the one we are used to.

I actually had no idea firearms handling was ever a part of the PSNI recruitment process till reading that. I knew there was a physical test at one point in the past as I knew someone who kept failing it! That's why it came as a bit of a shock to me when I first became interested in joining when I realised it wasn't a part of it anymore... seems a bit of a basic necessity to have in any police recruitment process to me!
    Think I read somewhere in that report that it was removed as females were disadvantaged in it, but surely I would've thought a better approach would'be been to do like some other forces do and lower the physical requirement for females in bits such as strength, where it's just the norm that we're a bit less developed than blokes! Makes more sense to me!
    Quite possible that when/if recruitment resumes the process will not be exactly the one we are used to.

**crosses fingers for interviews to be introduced** :D

**crosses fingers for interviews to be introduced** :D

Be careful what you wish for :p

People sometimes focus on Patten through the prism of RC vs. NRC representation but Patten also looked at the very low representation of females in the RUC , for example the Deputy Chief Constable has said that as a recruit in the then Enniskillen Training Centre in 1982 she was one of less than half a dozen females in a group of around 90 !
    Patten sought legal advice as to the possibility of introducing a minimum % of females to be hired but was told this would be illegal which would probably mean a lower standard for women in any area would also be illegal.

Before I say this I am absolutely not debating the big bad five-oh topic or anything to do with it, I just actually can't get my head around this (no surprises there :P) But how can introducing a minimum intake percentage of females be considered illegal, but a minumum percentage intake of RCs is not?
    I realise it's not as pressing an issue as the representation of RCs within the force, but to me anyways it just seems like the same thing just different groups.

50/50 intakes of males v females for the win I reckon :D

Its a perfectly reasonable question Plugin. I agree it seems bizarre that it would be illegal to insist on a minimum % of females but not illegal to insist on a minimum % of a religious group but that is the reality.
    Patten did explain that it was a complex legal area and if I recall he did say that European law had some bearing on it , in the end Patten had to follow the legal advice he had commissioned.

It is remarkable now how many women are in the Police , they're an everyday sight whereas in the RUC days they really were rare , try and remember how many Policewomen you would see on TV at the scene of an incident say 10 or 15 years ago ?

Below is the relevant extract from Patten

We have consulted the Fair Employment Commission about the proposal above and we have taken an opinion from counsel on the legal position. We are advised that, although the proposal would require an amendment to domestic legislation, it is not incompatible with European legislation,so it is possible to make the requisite amendment to the law. Regrettably, the legal position is not the same in respect of recruitment of women, where European legislation clearly rules out such a proposal.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

It is remarkable now how many women are in the Police , they're an everyday site whereas in the RUC days they really were rare , try and remember how many Policewomen you would see on TV at the scene of an incident say 10 or 15 years ago ?
    txtspk!
    :)

• Advertisement

psni wrote: »
    txtspk!
    :)

psni fussy ? Never.
    psni pedantic ? Not at all
    psni anal ? Nothing could be further from the truth

psni is emmm..... thorough and his only fault is that he is a perfectionist :D

Geez not sure I'll live that spelling down :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

I was going to ask where the rest of the full stops were, but I was won over by the flattery. Don't believe what they say - flattery gets you everywhere around here!

Ooh Del caught out??! Excellent :D
    Its a perfectly reasonable question Plugin. I agree it seems bizarre that it would be illegal to insist on a minimum % of females but not illegal to insist on a minimum % of a religious group but that is the reality.
    Patten did explain that it was a complex legal area and if I recall he did say that European law had some bearing on it , in the end Patten had to follow the legal advice he had commissioned.

It is remarkable now how many women are in the Police , they're an everyday sight whereas in the RUC days they really were rare , try and remember how many Policewomen you would see on TV at the scene of an incident say 10 or 15 years ago ?

Below is the relevant extract from Patten

We have consulted the Fair Employment Commission about the proposal above and we have taken an opinion from counsel on the legal position. We are advised that, although the proposal would require an amendment to domestic legislation, it is not incompatible with European legislation,so it is possible to make the requisite amendment to the law. Regrettably, the legal position is not the same in respect of recruitment of women, where European legislation clearly rules out such a proposal.

Rules be rules I guess, fair enough! Still seems strange to me that one's ok and one's not but that's just life isn't it! When you mention it actually I would almost say I would see more female officers about locally these days than males...especially on the cycle patrols, ladies getting the short end of the stick there?! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Buzz35

Ooh Del caught out??! Excellent :D

Rules be rules I guess, fair enough! Still seems strange to me that one's ok and one's not but that's just life isn't it! When you mention it actually I would almost say I would see more female officers about locally these days than males...especially on the cycle patrols, ladies getting the short end of the stick there?! :P

I was a witness to a crime recently, initially I was visited by two female pc's, then I had a statement taken later from two lady detectives.

latest from the "new" ni policing board...

last sentence matters to all the hanger ons...!

http://www.nipolicingboard.org.uk/index/faqs/recruitment.htm

nothing new really, but its a statement from them at least, which shows they're back in business, for the time being...!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Misterjay

Found my way back to the board, looking for any info on future recruitment campaigns.

It's all very quiet, not a good sign. :mad::mad:

I'll need to find something else to moan about then.:D:D

Yo welcome back onboard Misterjay , nice to hear from you - alas the official word is no recruitment camapign in 2011 and I wouldn't be overly hopeful of anything in 2012 either .
    Stay tuned in here - if anything changes it'll be on here ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Misterjay

Thanks. I'd heard it could be at least a couple of years before they start again. :mad:

Still, looking on the bright side, at least we'll not have to go through the torture for the forseeable future. Maybe by the time the process goes live again, it will be a bit more applicant friendly. Probably not likely though! ;)
    Yo welcome back onboard Misterjay , nice to hear from you - alas the official word is no recruitment camapign in 2011 and I wouldn't be overly hopeful of anything in 2012 either .
    Stay tuned in here - if anything changes it'll be on here ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭heffomike54

Misterjay wrote: »
    Thanks. I'd heard it could be at least a couple of years before they start again. :mad:

Still, looking on the bright side, at least we'll not have to go through the torture for the forseeable future. Maybe by the time the process goes live again, it will be a bit more applicant friendly. Probably not likely though! ;)

Hey folks, any ideas what, if any changes will be made to the process following the end of 50:50 policy?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 WaitingGame

Hello all, been a while since i've posted due to all of this 'deep freeze' lark with the PSNI. Decided to apply to the CSP last month and just got an email saying i've been successful with the first part of the process. Anybody else applied to the CSP?

On another note (getting ahead of myself slightly), any idea if you can transfer from Scottish to PSNI police forces?

Advertisement