Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Gee-22

Hey folks, any ideas what, if any changes will be made to the process following the end of 50:50 policy?

I doubt they even know what the next recruitment process will look like.

It still waits to be seen if any so-called "positive discrimination" will be included.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Hello all, been a while since i've posted due to all of this 'deep freeze' lark with the PSNI. Decided to apply to the CSP last month and just got an email saying i've been successful with the first part of the process. Anybody else applied to the CSP?

On another note (getting ahead of myself slightly), any idea if you can transfer from Scottish to PSNI police forces?

To my knowledge is it possible to transfer into the PSNI from any UK forces once the probationary period is completed , some training is required but not the full course that recruits must go through.

Gee-22 wrote: »
    I doubt they even know what the next recruitment process will look like.

It still waits to be seen if any so-called "positive discrimination" will be included.

+1 . Chances are the next recruitment process will broadly be the same as before though I would not be surprised if something was added or changed slightly - what the changes ( if any ) will be is a matter of pure speculation though.

Whether some '' positive discrimination '' mechanism is introduced remains to be seen , personally I would not be in the least surprised if it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Before I say this I am absolutely not debating the big bad five-oh topic or anything to do with it, I just actually can't get my head around this (no surprises there :P) But how can introducing a minimum intake percentage of females be considered illegal, but a minumum percentage intake of RCs is not?
    I realise it's not as pressing an issue as the representation of RCs within the force, but to me anyways it just seems like the same thing just different groups.

50/50 intakes of males v females for the win I reckon :D

Its quite odd actually. If anything you'd expect the EU to be more stringent on religious discrimination than sexual (only up until very recently it was perfectly legal to charge a male more for insurance due to his gender.

I think what needs to be remembered is 50/50 was not about giving the catholic community equal opportunity to join the police, but a measure taken so that the population of Northern Ireland would trust and support the police to allow for normal policing.

To qualify that - I stated my opinions on the dedicated thread here which I'll link as I feel elaborating further would break the forum rules

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Gee-22

Not sure if this link had been posted or not. Some interesting quotes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-13718122

Tip of the iceberg
    The chairman of the Police FederationTerry Spence said more recruitment was still needed.

"We've been saying since the beginning of the year that we require at least an additional 1,000 officers on the ground to effectively meet the terrorist threat which is escalating by the day, and also to ensure that we can deliver a proper policing service to all of the people in NI, so whilst this is a welcome development it really is the tip of the iceberg for us."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 M2010

Anybody else applied to the CSP?

I have applied also WaitingGame, still have not heard anything back from them yet though. Fingers crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 WaitingGame

I got an email from them on Friday inviting me for the SET and information evening mid July. Email stated that you dont need to sit the SET if you have already done a police entrance test but apparently the PSNI entrance test doesnt count so i'll have to sit the Scottish one anyway!

Sounds a much better system than the PSNI (which wouldnt be hard in fairness!). You find out if you have passed your exam within 2 days, and if you pass you are invited to an assessment day with role plays, interviews and fitness testing. Email stated that the whole process takes around 4 months, a blink of an eye compared to the PSNI process!

Ordered a heap of practice police tests online for a small fortune so I'd better pass the entrance test!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

Well done mate, wishing you all the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭gigity gigity

Hopefully it all goes well for you. Four months!? how can they put you through it that quickly and the PSNI take forever

• Advertisement

Thanks very much, I'll make sure to post on here and let you know how it goes and what the differences are in the selection test etc.

I have no idea how they do it so quick, email just said its taking between 3-4 months to complete the selection procedure at present. I'm guessing PSNI is slowed down a lot by the 50:50 lark with the pool etc.

Any word yet M2010? I'm assuming half the people at the CSP test will be boardies!

Thanks very much, I'll make sure to post on here and let you know how it goes and what the differences are in the selection test etc.

I have no idea how they do it so quick, email just said its taking between 3-4 months to complete the selection procedure at present. I'm guessing PSNI is slowed down a lot by the 50:50 lark with the pool etc.

Any word yet M2010? I'm assuming half the people at the CSP test will be boardies!

That would be great, though you wont be able to give too much info I suppose. The CSP do their vetting at the start don't they, and I suppose they haven't got as much worry about infiltration by terrorists either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭weepete

I believe most mainland forces including the MET send out vetting forms with the application pack, and would assume that a slightly more indepth criminal record check would all that would be required. Which means if the vetting comes back negitive you could be in the middle of the process that would suck but at least there would be no waiting about like us lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Abed

Hi All,

I wonder if an Irish Citizen (never lived in UK) is allowed to compete for Scotish Police competetion? I'm a Reserve Garda in Ireland.

Thanks in advance

Abed wrote: »
    Hi All,

I wonder if an Irish Citizen (never lived in UK) is allowed to compete for Scotish Police competetion? I'm a Reserve Garda in Ireland.

Thanks in advance

Citizens of the EEA are allowed become Police Officers in the UK but in your case you are unfortunately ineligible as it is a UK-wide requirement ( bar NI ) that applicants for all of the Police Forces of England , Wales and Scotland have resided in the UK for at least 3 years immediately prior to applying.
    The P.S.N.I. is the only force that permits people who have resided in the Republic of Ireland for 3 years beforehand to apply.

Sorry if the answer is not what you were hoping for....

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Abed

Delancey wrote: »
    Citizens of the EEA are allowed become Police Officers in the UK but in your case you are unfortunately ineligible as it is a UK-wide requirement ( bar NI ) that applicants for all of the Police Forces of England , Wales and Scotland have resided in the UK for at least 3 years immediately prior to applying.
    The P.S.N.I. is the only force that permits people who have resided in the Republic of Ireland for 3 years beforehand to apply.

Sorry if the answer is not what you were hoping for....

Thank you Delancy! I highly appreciate the info your provided. I kind of new that so not that dissapointed. I guess I have to wait and hope for AGS or PSNI to recruit again (does not look very good as I'm 33 years old)
    It seems though that Minister Shatter here has been alluding that Reserve members who joind before the age of 35 will be granted exemptions from age on one hand and the PSNI age limit 52 on the other hand . So its not terribly bad I guess after all.

Once again many thanks

Oh one more thing, do you think that the 3 years requirment applies to Scotish Prison Service as well?

Abed wrote: »
    Oh one more thing, do you think that the 3 years requirment applies to Scotish Prison Service as well?

Hard to say given the level of privatisation of UK prisons , best bet is to check out the Scottish Prison Service website and likewise the Home Office website regarding England and Wales.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Dietcoke1

For anyone who is interested the British Transport Police are now looking for Police Constables.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭seedorf117

Dietcoke1 wrote: »
    For anyone who is interested the British Transport Police are now looking for Police Constables.
    would apply in a heartbeat, only the three year citizenship thing :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

SOURCE.
    The mother of murdered policeman Ronan Kerr has received an academic excellence award her son attained as a new recruit.

Nuala Kerr was presented with his certificate in policing, with commendation, by actor and University of Ulster Chancellor James Nesbitt at Belfast's Waterfront Hall.

Constable Kerr was only weeks out of training when he was killed in a dissident republican booby trap car bomb outside his home in Omagh, Co Tyrone in March.

As a Catholic and Gaelic games enthusiast, he was targeted by the extremists in a bid to scare off other nationalists from joining the new look police service.

In the wake of his murder, his mother won praise the world over for her heartfelt plea to young Catholics not to be put off signing up to serve the community.

Along with family members, she travelled from Tyrone to receive her son's higher education certificate, which he completed through the University of Ulster during his PSNI training.

Handing over the parchment, Nesbitt paid tribute to the courage of the Kerr family in the aftermath of the murder.

"Ronan was a dedicated and conscientious student, respected by staff and students alike," he said.

"We hope very much that this presentation today may bring some small comfort, and help people remember Ronan's many achievements in his short life. Our thoughts are with you always."

Visibly emotional, Mrs Kerr thanked the university for the gesture as she received the award. The family intend to establish a trust fund in Constable Kerr's memory in the near future.

A brave family.

• Advertisement

Another PC Kerr related one:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-13977211

I've no idea what it actually was, but it's good to see that people abusing and using social networking sites to hide behind isn't being tolerated. I seen some stuff posted on facebook around the time of his murder that was downright disgusting, sure maybe not arrestable themselves, but still it's about time that action is taken against it. Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Buzz35

"Its oh so quiet......."

Buzz35 wrote: »
    "Its oh so quiet......."

Next we'll be seeing tumbleweed , alas when there is no news things do go quiet around here , that said it doesn't take much to get the place buzzing ( no pun intended ) again ;)

Well had my IST last wednesday, email on thursday morning saying I had passed (chuffed!). Next stage is an assesment centre with discussions on current issues in police and role plays etc combined with fitness testing. Sounds fairly hard. If you pass that then you go back for a panel interview with 3 members of staff and thats the last hurdle.

Not too sure when assessment centre will be due to summer holidays but they reckon september. Pretty speedy turn around so happy days!

That is fast , I thought IST and Assessment were on the same day ? Maybe thats just for England/Wales ?
    Good luck !

Happy days WG, all the best mate, be sure to keep us as updated as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 dixie33

Was goin to apply for NIFRS but I've been told you have to have unaided 20/20 vision. I've read the spec on the NIFRS website about eye sight but I'm not sure what it means exactly.
    Anyone know if you have to have unaided 20/20 vision?

Was anyone else thinking of applying also?

I've been seriously pondering about it too. It's something I've never even thought of to be honest but since I heard they were advertising it's slowly becoming more appealing to me. Since I've never given it any thought in the past I don't really know if it would be for me, but I reckon it's something I could do... I need to make my mind up soon though if I am for giving it a go!

I dislike not having the foggiest idea about their recruitment process though! Have become too accustomed to the PSNI's! Don't know a single firefighter either to get an idea from.
    As for the vision...I actually have no idea what all these numbers mean when it comes to eyesight, all I know is luckily I'm all good when it comes that :P
    Is this the eyesight requirements? It's all I've come across regarding vision...
    "uncorrected distance visual acuity, measured by the method known as the Snellen Test, of 6/6, 6/6 and that unaided visual function, including colour vision, is such as to enable the applicant to undertake firefighting duties"

Unaided 20/20 vision is actually very rare I understand so I highly doubt that is the requirement , a trip to an optician should answer your questions.

The Other Emergency Services Recruitment Forum is probably a far better place to discuss this and ask questions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 dixie33

Yeah that's them plugin. I think I've just read them wrong, as delancey said unaided 20/20 is very rare. Cheers by the way delancy.

Anyway last point in the NIFRS as this isn't the place to discuss this topic, but i was in the exact same position as you plugin, but I've decided I'm gona go for it, got nothing to lose from it.

Cheers for the help folks

Advertisement