Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭weepete

Gee-22 wrote: »
    Quick question - if you are in the TA can you apply to join the psni?

Dont no if this is any use to you, but you cant work for the NIPS and for the PSNI at the same time, due to conflict of interest, same thing may apply with the TA and PSNI but dont honestly know.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭gigity gigity

The problems are that you could miss a lot of training. Also TA require you to spend a couple of weeks away with them each year. They may also want you to go on a six month tour of duty, this is more likely now that the army is being slimmed down.

I dont think there is anything against you being in the TA the problem will probably be that if you in the PSNI you will miss a lot of TA training and will eventually fizzle out of it!

Im not in either. I have friends in both, so this is only an opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Gee-22

The problems are that you could miss a lot of training. Also TA require you to spend a couple of weeks away with them each year. They may also want you to go on a six month tour of duty, this is more likely now that the army is being slimmed down.

I dont think there is anything against you being in the TA the problem will probably be that if you in the PSNI you will miss a lot of TA training and will eventually fizzle out of it!

Im not in either. I have friends in both, so this is only an opinion.

Yeah. I'm currently applying for the RMP. Got tired of waiting on the psni.

If I got into the psni I would leave the ta, just wanted to make sure that I could still apply for the psni if I was in the ta.

Whats RMP?

Whats RMP?

Royal military police.

http://www.army.mod.uk/agc/provost/13306.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

I think you can be a police officer and TA soldier in England and Wales. Don't know about elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 M2010

Yeah. I'm currently applying for the RMP. Got tired of waiting on the psni.

I'm considering TA RMP or RAF Police (full time obviously). It is a little disheartening just waiting around with no 100% confirmation that a campaign will run next year. My only concern about military or air force police roles is that your primary role is very much a soldier, and the police work side of it comes into it very little when you are on deployment. Or so the TA RMP told me. Therefore I'm not sure it's that similar an alternative to civilian police work.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭wanadrum

M2010 wrote: »

I'm considering TA RMP or RAF Police (full time obviously). It is a little disheartening just waiting around with no 100% confirmation that a campaign will run next year. My only concern about military or air force police roles is that your primary role is very much a soldier, and the police work side of it comes into it very little when you are on deployment. Or so the TA RMP told me. Therefore I'm not sure it's that similar an alternative to civilian police work.

You can be in both the TA and the PSNI - I have friends who are in both. I think it is preferred that you are a TA officer though.

I was very close to joining up as RAFP a couple of years ago - having experience of both these forces I would encourage you to go the RAFP route for many reasons - if you want to know some of the reasons send me a pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Itwasme

You can join the police while in the TA. I know several people who did a tour last year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

• Advertisement

I happened to notice the production company that filmed Road Patrol also filmed another Series with the PSNI in 2002 or so... anyone know of where It can be watched?

Link to the series in question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Itwasme

If your thinking of joining the psni but are tired waiting the rmp is a good way to go. I've no idea what the job is like but I know of one ex rmp who went through garnerville and didn't have to do his probation period afterwards. He did the 6 month course but only because he had left the rmp more than a year before he joined the psni. They recognised the rmp qualification. I don't know if that's still the case, but it's worth checking out.

Interview on the 05/01/13

Terry Spence was featured on Radio 4’s Saturday PM news show and he aired some serious concerns about the ability of the Police Service of Northern to hold the peace in the context of continuing violence.

His concerns were not about the manner in which the police have been confronting the rising violence, but about the ability of the police going forward in terms of numbers and resources to deal with the growing two-pronged threat profile.

He noted that over the last 4 weeks since the flags decision the police have been under huge strain. 70 police officers have been injured and many of them have required hospital treatment.

As we look forward it isn’t hard to imagine that the casualty list will grow. And with the news that gun shots were fired over the weekend it certainly isn’t hard to imagine that a serving officer or civilian could be killed.
    Stuck in a nutcracker situation between growing violence from dissident republicans and unionist paramilitaries the police are unquestionably under immense pressure.

In this context the chairman of the Police Federation said on BBC Radio 4:
    “There is an obligation on the state and the Chief Constable to ensure that the police service are properly resourced. It is the firm belief of my organisation that that is not the case.”
    “We need more human resources. We need more young men and woman to join the police service. We need a recruitment campaign to be instigated forthwith. We’re already down to 7,000 police officers from a figure of 12,500 figure that we had ten years ago. We do not have the perfect peace that was envisaged in the Patten recommendations or in the Good Friday Agreement and as I stated earlier, this is the most difficult policing situation that we have faced for the last decade.”
    The presenter then asked: has politics failed this most difficult situation?

Terry Spence replied:
    “Some of the NI politicians haven’t exactly covered themselves in glory over all of this. By foul means or otherwise they have unfortunately enticed people to come out onto the street. People have then come out onto the street and protested. These initially peaceful protests have been exploited by paramilitary organisations. Politicians should have realised the implications of all of this because they have been around Northern Ireland long enough.”

This obviously clashes with what Chief Constable Matt Baggot has on the riots and resources:
    “You may be assured there will be sufficient resources in the event of more disorder for however long is necessary.”
    Unfortunately as has long been the case in Northern Ireland the police have again found themselves stuck in the middle of serious community bickerings. When politics spills from the corridors to the streets the police have to mop it up. Let’s just hope it won’t be blood they’re mopping up.

Interview with Matt Baggott in yesterday Belfast Tele.

He says he expects to bolster the PSNI public order capability as part of the 2014-2016 review.

He also says he would go to the rest of the UK to get help with numbers if required in the mean time.

Police officers from other UK forces could be drafted in to help the PSNI cover the G8 conference, it has been revealed.
    Justice Minister David Ford said the Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) may need help from England, Scotland and Wales to bolster numbers when eight world leaders descend on Co Fermanagh in June.

Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/psni-may-need-help-with-g8-summit-16261672.html?r=RSS#ixzz2I4a7l9jN

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭1967J

Not surprised really - give me a job and I'll gladly help out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Boyeen30

Police officers from other UK forces could be drafted in to help the PSNI cover the G8 conference, it has been revealed.
    Justice Minister David Ford said the Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) may need help from England, Scotland and Wales to bolster numbers when eight world leaders descend on Co Fermanagh in June.

Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/psni-may-need-help-with-g8-summit-16261672.html?r=RSS#ixzz2I4a7l9jN

I was in my office yesterday in England this was going about everyone said No bloody way , but me silently ...

Silently thinking, WTF am i getting myself in for ? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Boyeen30

Guess how many people I meet that say " I've always wanted to be a copper"

I was thinking mate ..If you really want it .. You might have to apply to another uk force and transfer back .. I know people have commitments but that's life ..

English police seem to be getting it very tight at the minute, ive read that new recruits will start on a lower wage also what are your thoughts on the new proposal in England and Wales to recruit graduates in to inspector level?

• Advertisement

English police seem to be getting it very tight at the minute, ive read that new recruits will start on a lower wage also what are your thoughts on the new proposal in England and Wales to recruit graduates in to inspector level?
    The NI policing federation has said they will fight any attempts to lower the wage for new recruits into the psni.

Policing in NI is completely different from policing in England or Wales.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭wanadrum

I think it would be better to open it up but only for people with specific skills, for example I believe armed forces officers and senior NCOs. I am not sure about opening it up completely and ending up with some stock broker or something as chief.....
    I think people from most other jobs would require a significant amount of training before going into a high rank of the police.
    There is a lot to be said for experience in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

I really don't agree with the lowering wage structures of the English and Welsh police, however the incremental payments aren't as drawn out, so those that start now will eventually be on the same wage as previous recruits, English and Welsh cops deal with the crap that most cops deal with, however here is a different situation to reduce the wage would be crazy I feel, the fact that on or off duty you are a constant target from both paramillitary divides, anyway it wouldn't stop me from going into the job, but when you think that those who went into the prison service recently are dealing with the same threat start on 18/19k or something which works out at like 9.20 an hour, it's mental for anybody here in the services to be on that

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭1967J

when you think that those who went into the prison service recently are dealing with the same threat start on 18/19k or something which works out at like 9.20 an hour, it's mental for anybody here in the services to be on that

Started on 18k ..saying nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

Mental bud! Mental...

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Harmel

Hi there, newbie here. Sorry if this has been asked before but I've been trolling the board looking and can't find it. I have in my head that a psni officer works 4 12 hr days on and then 4 off, is that correct?

Harmel wrote: »
    Hi there, newbie here. Sorry if this has been asked before but I've been trolling the board looking and can't find it. I have in my head that a psni officer works 4 12 hr days on and then 4 off, is that correct?

A 12 hour shift and the rest at the minute, plus you would be lucky to get 4 days off in a row.

Dont join if you are expecting a set shift pattern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

Harmel wrote: »

As far as I know thats how the fire service works.

I have a friend in the PSNI and when she wasn't doing overtime her shifts almost always worked out she would be working on the same days I did (I work twelve hours in my current job also). Its more likely to be two or three days work two or three days off. But always on call on the days off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Harmel

Thanks for that. It is something I have been interested in for a long time and have applied several times before but got kicked out after ac. Now a bit older and wiser and wanting to get a feel for what it's really like, not just what I've always imagined!

Advertisement