Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Gee-22

When do you think people like me will get our Dear John letters, now that the merit letter is out there??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭MrsGeneHunt

Gee-22 wrote: »
    When do you think people like me will get our Dear John letters, now that the merit letter is out there??

It might be fairly soon, I know when I phoned recruitment a few weeks back with some queries that I was told they would be going out "shortly"

But dont give up til you get it tho. It aint o to the v to the e to the r until its in black and white in front of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 regtgunner

Yeah i have a couple of mates in GMP, they love it. There are 7 forces recruiting at the moment over there. If you don't get in then it's only a 6 month wait until you can apply for another force so not so much waiting around.
    Also if guns are someones thing then the nuclear police have just been recruiting aswell.
    Talking of other forces, has anyone who has applied for the harbour police in Belfast heard anything yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 WEE SCOT

Congrats to all those who got the scores they were looking for. Me? 300-330. Feeling a bit gutted. The only up side I suppose is that I have already had vetting forms but not going to be holding my breath. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭integra1

i applied nothing yet! Its meant to be deadly to get into but! Belfast harbour that is...only applied as a back up but incase never made psni...

• Advertisement

For anyone who is looking at the mainland police, check out this link for the forces currently recruiting.
    :)
    http://www.policecouldyou.co.uk/officers/po_vacancies.php

Yeah i've heard nothing at all for the harbour police yet.
    Got a fitness test next week for a mainland force and also waiting on the nuclear police so keeping my options open. Had a feeling that i'd not look good in the bottle green uniforms out here!

regtgunner wrote: »
    Yeah i have a couple of mates in GMP, they love it. There are 7 forces recruiting at the moment over there. If you don't get in then it's only a 6 month wait until you can apply for another force so not so much waiting around.
    Also if guns are someones thing then the nuclear police have just been recruiting aswell.
    Talking of other forces, has anyone who has applied for the harbour police in Belfast heard anything yet?

I applied but only got confirmation email so far. Closing date was only last Friday so giving it a couple of weeks before adding that to my worries.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭MrsGeneHunt

WEE SCOT wrote: »
    Congrats to all those who got the scores they were looking for. Me? 300-330. Feeling a bit gutted. The only up side I suppose is that I have already had vetting forms but not going to be holding my breath. :(

Whats your background? Thats a good score by the way you should be pleased.
    You are still in the running either background with that I'd say:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭MrFug

I agree. At worst you need 111 people in the top 330 to be RC. But even if It's a lesser number, there are still medical failures etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Gee-22

When you recieve the feedback from the a/c can you appeal if they marked you down in an area of the tests??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭pb999

as far as i remember there is no appeals process for the a/c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭faceman08

hey,

phoned and got merit number, think im out of the running, placed between 350-400.

Can anyone actually explain to me what way the 50/50 process works, and exactly how many jobs are available for this campaign?

Just dont know if theres any point me getting my hopes up at all.

FM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭MrFug

faceman08 wrote: »
    hey,

phoned and got merit number, think im out of the running, placed between 350-400.

Can anyone actually explain to me what way the 50/50 process works, and exactly how many jobs are available for this campaign?

Just dont know if theres any point me getting my hopes up at all.

FM

Hey Faceman,

There are a total of 440 places for new recruits this campaign. 220 for Roman Catholics and 220 for Non-Roman Catholics. It's best to look at it in terms of two separate 'competitions' for places, although the merit score is an overall placement.

So, If you had a merit placing of 400 and are Protestant, then there would need to be 180 Catholics in the top 400 for you to be garaunteed a place (pending medical and vetting), since 180 catholics would mean that you are one of the top 220 applicants for non-catholics. Ofcourse, people will fail medicals and vetting etc, which improves your chances further (so long as your not one of them).

Hope that helps - reading over it I've kind of confused myself :P

Non RC. It's purely a numbers game for me now. Having to rely on RC with good scores and people dropping out or failing vetting/medical :( With vetting in both Scotland and in the South will possibly be doing it all again in C15.

Trying to stay positive - does anyone know if you can chase up your vetting or is that frowned upon?!?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭smyff

holy ****. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWXmM4z-EpM

this is insane. imagine being these officers.

full episode http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00dmt5w?src=a_syn00

better quality!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭MrAnderson

Yeah, I remember seeing that on the BBC News website, absolutely crazy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭PEGGYSUE'S MAMA

smyff wrote: »
    holy ****. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWXmM4z-EpM

this is insane. imagine being these officers.

full episode http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00dmt5w?src=a_syn00

better quality!

WTF!

Felt like walking up the hard shoulder of the M1 myself this morning! Would have been much quicker than sitting in traffic!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Mark63

Hey just thinking out loud here but just realising that the other parts of the process including the aptitude tests are pretty important when you think about it.

If the maximum score at the assesment centre is 70 and the cut off was about 50 or so to pass (think I read that) then it means there would only be 20 different results. There was mention of merit numbers up to about 1200 so that would mean that there would on average be 60 people with each result. Probably more as I say very few people would get more than say 65 - just being human.

So people say with a 300 merit score who should get in might have scored exactly the same as someone with a merit score of 360 who may not make it if not RC. I know people don't know for sure how they rank them after the AC but if the IST was used it makes that really important too - didn't realise that at the time.

Just wondering if anybody who got to AC after they reduced the mark needed for that get a merit score near the top?

Also I know there are 440 places. How many intakes are there during the year and roughly how many on each intake? I know it all depends on the medical and vetting but I presume once these are done they go down through both lists in order?

Mark63 wrote: »
    Hey just thinking out loud here but just realising that the other parts of the process including the aptitude tests are pretty important when you think about it.

If the maximum score at the assesment centre is 70 and the cut off was about 50 or so to pass (think I read that) then it means there would only be 20 different results. There was mention of merit numbers up to about 1200 so that would mean that there would on average be 60 people with each result. Probably more as I say very few people would get more than say 65 - just being human.

So people say with a 300 merit score who should get in might have scored exactly the same as someone with a merit score of 360 who may not make it if not RC. I know people don't know for sure how they rank them after the AC but if the IST was used it makes that really important too - didn't realise that at the time.

Just wondering if anybody who got to AC after they reduced the mark needed for that get a merit score near the top?

Also I know there are 440 places. How many intakes are there during the year and roughly how many on each intake? I know it all depends on the medical and vetting but I presume once these are done they go down through both lists in order?

I have been told that the score/70 for AC is very important, maybe more than the merit score....it's all about the competencies and if you met the required levels when being assessed....I think IST is only used in appeal circumstances, or where 2 people maybe have the same AC score.

I know that there are folk in GV on same course at min, one with score of less than 80 the other with near 200... there must've been quite a dropout rate for there to be such a difference in the 2 merit placements.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭faceman08

MrFug wrote: »
    Hey Faceman,

There are a total of 440 places for new recruits this campaign. 220 for Roman Catholics and 220 for Non-Roman Catholics. It's best to look at it in terms of two separate 'competitions' for places, although the merit score is an overall placement.

So, If you had a merit placing of 400 and are Protestant, then there would need to be 180 Catholics in the top 400 for you to be garaunteed a place (pending medical and vetting), since 180 catholics would mean that you are one of the top 220 applicants for non-catholics. Ofcourse, people will fail medicals and vetting etc, which improves your chances further (so long as your not one of them).

Hope that helps - reading over it I've kind of confused myself :P

Thanks for explaining that, ill just have to keep the fingers crossed!!

Im easily confused, but there doesnt seem to be anything straightforward about this process!!

Good Luck!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭smyff

i havent said it yet, but a huge congrats and well done to everyone who did great in the AC, such as most of you mad punters on this forum, and to those who didnt do just so well, such as myself. keep er lit and go for it again next year.

but did anyone else get a letter through the door today from the top dogs themselves? saw it, expecting the dear john, but it just mentioned along the lines of, sit tight!

i got the post at 11am there. must look like such a bum :) all you people workin! haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭squirrel81

here smyff, thats a good sign :) not home yet, but will be soon so i'll let ya know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 temple2

Hi

Is it 440 places for the whole campaign or may there be more places?

I am placed 962 on the merit list so I suppose it is curtains!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭squirrel81

temple2 wrote: »
    Hi

I am placed 962 on the merit list so I suppose it is curtains!!

Hi Temple,

Just 440 places, but, depending on background, you could still stand a chance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭carlty888

temple2 wrote: »
    Hi

I am placed in the mid-900's on the merit list so I suppose it is curtains!!
    Over the last few campaigns the PSNI have taken in about 440 recruits. I'm not 100% sure how accurate these figures are though. Getting in would probably depend on your community background, but until you get the Dear John letter there's still hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭carlty888

Temple2, Don't post your actual merit number. This is a public forum. Mid-900's will do.

Well i've just had my other half on the phone to tell me that I have a letter from a PO Box.... yikes, got him to open (he took soooo long getting the bloody thing open!) Well, good news, not a Dear Joan! Instead, I assume (or at least I hope!) a round-robin letter telling me I am being processed (oo-er;)) & asking nicely not to ring up recruitment asking for information! Poor folk up there are likely being tormented by all us keen wannabes dying for info.

Has anyone else received this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭integra1

I didn't realise you get letters saying to be patient etc???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 downboy

regtgunner wrote: »
    Well i got a crap place so at least i know i'm out of the running. The whole PSNI process sucks compared to the mainland forces. Over there you get told at each stage if you pass or fail and once you have passed your in. No merit lists, no waiting for news, straight to the point.
    Luckly I applied to a mainland force at the same time so if i pass everything i'm in.
    I better go get some customer service skills at mcdonalds, ready for c15....lol. Good luck to all those with good scores, enjoy the lengthy wait!

How did you apply to a mainland force at the same time as the psni? i've just been checking around (my merit number's at the lower end of borderline) and you are only allowed to apply to one UK force at a time.

Oh, and for anyone else thinking of applying to a mainland force i've just been speaking to lothian and borders. the lady said that if you get rejected from the psni you have to wait a year to apply to them but if you withdraw from the psni (before you get rejected, poss in my case) you can apply straight away to them. i guess this is the same for other forces too. Does anyone have any experience or information on this?

Advertisement