Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭carlty888

Delta2783 wrote: »
    Hi Guys, got my medical pass letter over a week ago and sent back my vetting forms at start of sept. Called up vetting and they said it was still ongoing! Does anyone know how long it takes on average. I was told about 3-6 months is norm? That means I wouldnt be looking at a starr date until next March! I CANT WAIT THAT LONG! lol I WANT it soooooo bad!

Join the club. I sent my vetting back at the start of July. The waiting's a pain in the ass and unfortunately there's nothing we can do to help hurry things along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭surfrunner

Anyone watch 'The Wire'....best show on TV. The 5th and final series has just finished. Rent it out on loveifilm or similar. You will not be disappointed!!

http://www.hbo.com/thewire/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭smyff

surfrunner wrote: »
    Anyone watch 'The Wire'....best show on TV. The 5th and final series has just finished. Rent it out on loveifilm or similar. You will not be disappointed!!

http://www.hbo.com/thewire/

****TTTTTTTTTTTTT (your man whats his face)

i watched every episode in a week during august haha. i love the theme tune to it. mcnulty. and the homeless murders, gets me every time. everyone must watch this show. prison break is my new fave tho :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭PEGGYSUE'S MAMA

Helloooo, anyone home? Where has everyone gone? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭integra1

Tis Quiet!!!

Lots waiting on vetting/Medical results it seems....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭squirrel81

integra, popping up home at 2, so I'll keep ya posted about the post situation. :P

I'm home now dude! Nothing....off today:D don't bother very quiet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭squirrel81

aw, jeez. :( Absolutely dyin to know. Hope you're enjoyin your wee day off!

thanks Squirrel...I know I have checked post box continually today! lol...but nout!!!waiting patiently...NOT.:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭DownMTBer

All this waiting is killing me! People told me to put it to the back of my mind and forget about it... yeah right! ;)

Anything today guys?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 silver_x

NO!!! i rang last week and was told it'd be here early this week lol so fingers crossed for tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Maura2145

hey guys when did yous do medical? I rang today and they said they sent out results on 18th but i never recieved them! anyone else waitin on the mysterious dissapearing medical letters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 silver_x

mine wasn't too long after you i just hope that if they have been sent out that it hasnt ended up somewhere else so fingers crossed they just running a little late

Got mine today!!!:) well pleased....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 ptb1981

Hi everyone,

This is my first time posting on here. Can anyone give me advice. Im non RC and 175-200 in merit pool. Does anyone think this is a good enough position for c14? Has anyone got a phone call with similar stats? Also does anyone know how many recruits they are taking in c14? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭pb999

thats easily good enough, they take 440 this campaign so 220 from each community group, so if you have a score lower than 220 you should be guaranteed

thanks!!

I hope so, such a long way to go tho, medical, vetting and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭carlty888

ptb1981 wrote: »
    thanks!!

I hope so, such a long way to go tho, medical, vetting and so on.

Excellent score. If you pass the vetting and the medical you're in. Simple as that. Have you had or passed either vetting or medical yet?

Thanks, fingers crossed. I had medical mid October and sent vetting early October such a lot of waiting round tho.

• Advertisement

this guy is buff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mh-Unkph3Y&feature=related

how tight is his sax playin. wah wah WAHHHHHHHHHH

Hey folks, I that this has been talked about before but I was wondering what the fitness fanatics amongst the boardies think of spinning as an alternative to running? I have very little free time (cos I have 2 jobs!) and only get to the gym 3 times a week, twice to do a spin class, ten mins on rower then 40 mins free weights, the other night i do pilates.... in the unlikely event of me getting anywhere near GV do you think that I would need to do more? i used to be able to to 10kin a respectable 8 mins that was yonks ago, am worried about the whole push pull and run thing! Any thoughts or advice from anyone would be very appreciated?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Mr.Anderson

If i was you, I wouldn't worry at all, you have 20 weeks to improve on your fitness, the gym is open every night there. Push/pull is after the pca, and the trick is to look up at the yellow cross on the wall, you get far more power that way...and you are only required to get 26, which believe me isn't that difficult. theres spin classes in g'ville too..if you're interested when you get there ;)

Thanks for the advice there.... spinning classes up there too, flip me if am lucky enough to get in i'll be whittled down to a toothpick! I love getting to the gym and keeping fit, it's just that am really restricted with my free time. I did the pca about 6 years ago when it was part of the recruitment process then, god the thought of that now !:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Mr.Anderson

Thanks for the advice there.... spinning classes up there too, flip me if am lucky enough to get in i'll be whittled down to a toothpick! I love getting to the gym and keeping fit, it's just that am really restricted with my free time. I did the pca about 6 years ago when it was part of the recruitment process then, god the thought of that now !:eek:

No problem, yeah there are other classes too i think but im not sure when and where, only noticed the spin class, as it's up on the board outside the gym. Personally though, don't let the pca or fitness worry you, there's no need, every PE class, the trainers push you to do your best and if you aren't up to standards, they will make out a course for you to get up to speed...and 20 weeks is a looong time ;)
    Even the drill gives you a good work out...double time is all im gonna say!!:cool:

No problem, yeah there are other classes too i think but im not sure when and where, only noticed the spin class, as it's up on the board outside the gym. Personally though, don't let the pca or fitness worry you, there's no need, every PE class, the trainers push you to do your best and if you aren't up to standards, they will make out a course for you to get up to speed...and 20 weeks is a looong time ;)
    Even the drill gives you a good work out...double time is all im gonna say!!:cool:

Ah drill, have had my time at square bashing, years ago though! No tick tocking from me I hope! I imagine once it's been drummed into you by a screaming drill sergeant it's engrained in your mind forever. And ever. Amen!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭JVB

Hey folks, I that this has been talked about before but I was wondering what the fitness fanatics amongst the boardies think of spinning as an alternative to running? I have very little free time (cos I have 2 jobs!) and only get to the gym 3 times a week, twice to do a spin class, ten mins on rower then 40 mins free weights, the other night i do pilates.... in the unlikely event of me getting anywhere near GV do you think that I would need to do more? i used to be able to to 10kin a respectable 8 mins that was yonks ago, am worried about the whole push pull and run thing! Any thoughts or advice from anyone would be very appreciated?

PSM ;) Hey how's you? I think you have nothing to worry about fitness levels. 3 times a week at the gym will be more than enough for G'ville. Spinning as an alternative to running is good as it reduces impact on the joints. I would suggest a couple of runs before G'ville to get the specific muscle groups firing again. You seem to have a good mix of cardio and musculoskeletal enhancement (weights :rolleyes:) whilst pilates provides excellent core stability. Although I'm pretty astounded that you can run 10k in 8 mins!!! :D:eek::D A typo me thinks :D

Anyways, you'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭surfrunner

PSM- you could do a good run in the time it takes you to get to the gym and get dressed etc. Just take to the streets and enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭1979SD

As this is my first post as a new member i'll apologise now if i'm on the wrong thread! I've got a few questions to pose so all information will be greatly apreciated from any of you........ Does anybody know the score regarding transfering a military pension over into the PSNI? I'm sure if lucky enough to be selected all my questions will be answered at a later date - but it's good to have a heads up if poss. I've served for around 9/10 years and am wondering how many years this would equate to in the PSNI, even if someone can send me a link i'll happily trawl through the info myself.
    Secondly........ where can i find more info relating to the PSNI recruit training - namely how long is it, is it all residential, what's the format.... etc.
    Sorry to be so nosey what it being my 'first time' and everything! However, you folks seem to be in the know!
    Seriousley, any info on the above would be great and the very best of luck to all of those currently applying, i've been watching this board for a couple of months now and am also going through the stress of waiting and hoping!!
    Many Thanks Again

• Advertisement

surfrunner wrote: »
    PSM- you could do a good run in the time it takes you to get to the gym and get dressed etc. Just take to the streets and enjoy!

There aren't many streets where i live unfortunately, don't fancy being hit by a car on some dodgy wee country road..... don't get home from work til it's dark either, all round am safer in the gym! I did love running before, i went out with a couple of girls after work twice a week for ages, but that died of death when we all went off and got married and became domestic goddesses, trying to get home to cook our hubby's tea and all that!!!!! Ha ha, mine wishes!!!!;)

Advertisement