Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭shelleyelley

m club on a thursday night is greatttttttttt for tiesto!!!

ever been on a thurs night?

smyff wrote: »
    nice tunes lol. good old tiesto. i loveeeeeeeeeeee tiesto

heres a cracker

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=-mh-Unkph3Y how buff is that guy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭smyff

m club on a thursday night is greatttttttttt for tiesto!!!

ever been on a thurs night?

hahahha. get yourself to the m club, find yourself a fat milly. nope ive never been at all! everyone says its great though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭shelleyelley

lol well you should go- £2 in and £2 a drink on thursday and its pumpin ya come out steaming and about 2 stone lighter from prancin around like an idot lol

needa watch the bouncers tho they are just out to give people a kickin lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭PapaYankeeGirl

This is from todays UTV web news:

http://www3.u.tv/news/LocalNews/index.asp?id=92311

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭DownMTBer

So reading between the lines. If his proposals were rejected by the policing board - presumably his proposals included some modification to recruitment. That means that any changes to recruitment were rejected and therefore everything must be carrying on as planned! :D

Or am I just making that up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭MustBeCrazy

DownMTBer wrote: »
    So reading between the lines. If his proposals were rejected by the policing board - presumably his proposals included some modification to recruitment. That means that any changes to recruitment were rejected and therefore everything must be carrying on as planned! :D

Or am I just making that up?

I think that sounds about right. I also think there is no way the executive (especially Sinn Fein) would ever agree to a suspension of recruitment until the 50/50 figure is reached. So I am confident recruitment for the forseeable future will go ahead as usual. Hmphh...for what my opinion counts :D

MBC x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭lolli-j

I think that sounds about right. I also think there is no way the executive (especially Sinn Fein) would ever agree to a suspension of recruitment until the 50/50 figure is reached. So I am confident recruitment for the forseeable future will go ahead as usual. Hmphh...for what my opinion counts :D

MBC x

I agree with that! But has anyone actually called to find out?

LJ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭carlty888

Lolli - You volunteering? :D

I have a friend in C13 who had difered until February. They have recently received a letter to say that their intake has been put back until April.

This could back up the claims that all intakes are on hold until April. :(

carlty888 wrote: »

I have a friend in C13 who had difered until February. They have recently received a letter to say that their intake has been put back until April.

:eek::eek::eek: There goes my theory :eek::eek::eek:

Not that I would mind as long as they let me know I was getting in at some point ;)

No definately not, i think if i call anymore they'll put a giant X next to my name!

Maybe, just to be optimistic now, depending on when they got the letter that could mean nothing seeing as no real decision has been made :D

• Advertisement

Right so now I am confused.

I thought they were not allowed to do anything without the policing board's approval?

And I thought I just read that the policing board had refused to approve the proposals put forward to lessen the financial deficit in favour of getting the money out of stormount.

Yet now I hear of someone who has a letter saying their intake has been put back?

That doesn't really make any sense to me.

So either the PSNI are just going ahead and delaying intakes without the permission of the policing board... or we don't know exactly what this letter says and may be misinterpretting it?

Either way... i'm confused :confused:

DownMTBer wrote: »
    Right so now I am confused.

I thought they were not allowed to do anything without the policing board's approval?

And I thought I just read that the policing board had refused to approve the proposals put forward to lessen the financial deficit in favour of getting the money out of stormount.

Yet now I hear of someone who has a letter saying their intake has been put back?

That doesn't really make any sense to me.

So either the PSNI are just going ahead and delaying intakes without the permission of the policing board... or we don't know exactly what this letter says and may be misinterpretting it?

Either way... i'm confused :confused:

I think you should call and ask!

Either way I think we are all going to drive ourselves crazy speculating on what might be happening :(

Well, I suspect the letter may have been jumping the gun a little. Perhaps the Chief Constable thought he'd get his approval, however I went onto the boards web site and it reads as follows (the important bits):

‘The Board has received a report from the PSNI on the pressures on the police budget, and discussed this at a meeting with the Chief Constable. The Board cannot accept the impacts of the additional proposed cuts, and seeks an urgent meeting with the Minister as these pressures are outside the control of the Chief Constable.

In all of the discussions to date, the Board has been mindful not only of the need to ensure that problems are not stacked up for future years but also to minimise the impact on front line service to the community. But with cuts there are always knock on effects and achieving savings of this level over such a short period of time would have an impact that is not acceptable to this Board.

The Board is not prepared to accept what has been brought forward and has asked for an urgent meeting with the Minister. If these issues are not dealt with now they will continue to be an issue and Government have to meet responsibilities in respect of this.”

So, it would seem that making any kind of modifications to future recruitment at the minute would land PSNI in some serious hot water with the policing board since to me this clearly states that they may not under any circumstances make any 'cuts' that are likely to have an impact on front line services.

I feel a lot better reading that anyhow :)

lolli-j wrote: »
    I think you should call and ask!

Either way I think we are all going to drive ourselves crazy speculating on what might be happening :(

Agreed :( but I don't want a bif X next to my name either my dear! :eek:

Having read the board's decision at their meeting I feel a lot happier though.

I rang External Appointments to ask when the next intake would be. The answer........ April. :(

I rang External Appointments to ask when the next intake would be. The answer........ April. :(

Well that sorts that out! I wonder if they will send out application packs to people in the near future with start dates post April? Or will they make everybody wait forever (until next year) before they start sending out start dates :confused:. Bleughhh. I feel sorry for anyone who is a shoe in and has a long wait ahead....but it will be worth it in the end. And at least you'll be training in the 'sunshine'.

MBC x

P.S. Thanks for being the board spokesperson :D

Thanks for finding out :)

Bad news though :(

I hate being the bearer of bad news though. :o

Things could conceivably change however. Let's face it, they've changed several times in the last month alone. :rolleyes:

I hate being the bearer of bad news though. :o

Things could conceivably change however. Let's face it, they've changed several times in the last month alone. :rolleyes:

At least it some sort of news!

The only little hope is that they can't exactly just change it on a whim as they have a quota to fill and well, the Policing Board have said no to cutting recruitment. Awe well goodness knows maybe it'll change again when they meet with the minister. :cool:

At least it some sort of news!

The only little hope is that they can't exactly just change it on a whim as they have a quota to fill and well, the Policing Board have said no to cutting recruitment. Awe well goodness knows maybe it'll change again when they meet with the minister. :cool:

They've said no to cutting recruitment. That means that 440 will still be brought in from C14. It doesn't say anything about the timeframe.

They could have no recruits in January-March and make up ground in April-December with larger intakes.

• Advertisement

They've said no to cutting recruitment. That means that 440 will still be brought in from C14. It doesn't say anything about the timeframe.

They could have no recruits in January-March and make up ground in April-December with larger intakes.

Oh I know that's probably what is happening but I just like to be ever optimistic :)

Oh I know that's probably what is happening but I just like to be ever optimistic :)

It'll probably change a few more times by the end of the year. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭PandaPants

AAARRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! :mad::mad:

Thanks for ringing though. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Chelsea555

You have to be kidding carlty i will have to ring my source and find out the last i heard was feb/mar and now its april thats a nightmare:(

Chelsea555 wrote: »
    You have to be kidding carlty i will have to ring my source and find out the last i heard was feb/mar and now its april thats a nightmare:(

I wish that I was kidding pal. I really do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Chelsea555

I wish that I was kidding pal. I really do.
    I wish they would stop moving the goalposts carlty but as we all know it could change again tomorrow mate but on a brighter note Paul Goggins aint going to hand over 92 million just like that which is good for us isn"t it??:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭TangoVictor

As ever the optimist but not doubting your communication skills carlty - is there any chance there may have been a misuunderstanding? i.e. you were asking when the next intake into training would be - and they said April thinking you meant the next campaign??

any chance i wonder?

As ever the optimist but not doubting your communication skills carlty - is there any chance there may have been a misuunderstanding? i.e. you were asking when the next intake into training would be - and they said April thinking you meant the next campaign??

any chance i wonder?

Me: "Whens the next intake for campaign 14?"
    Girl from External Appointments: "Not until April."

Regretfully that didn't leave much room for misinterpretation.

I want to see this campaign move on as much as anyone (and possibly more than most). Especially as I'm in the fortunate position of waiting for a call (passed everything and meri numbert under 150).

I'm hoping that things will change (I'm an optimist by nature myself), but at the moment it is what it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭inspector71

Thanks for phoning up and sharing the info with us carlty!!

I have a suspicion that the peeps are appointments have maybe been briefed to be very careful what they say to people when they phone up and ask about intakes - I mean, if PSNI are lookin' more money (and were at one point directly stating that recruitment might suffer because of the shortage of cash*), they probably don't want to come out and say, "Oh yeah we're skint but we'll always have enough money to recruit continuously"
    They don't maybe don't wanna put anything in black and white incase it jeopardises any chances of a budget increase.

Just a thought, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see anyway.

*[I know the news the other day ruled that out]

• Advertisement

The situation at the moment appears to be that recruitment is on hold (until April). Things would probably change if NIO coughed up the cash that PSNI have requested.

Inspector71's probably right when he says about the staff in Appointments being told to be careful when talking to anyone. They can't be telling us that everything's rosey and going ahead as planned, when there are no guarantees.

It's all up in the air at present.

I hate being the bearer of bad news. Sorry.

Advertisement