Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭smyff

unlucky suzie is all i can say.

a cousin of mine was doing 40 in a 30 zone, just after the boucher road junction, where the new under pass is in the westlink. every single other car was doing the exact same speed as him, or faster and he got pulled over, and they didnt pull anyone else over, but i guess thats life isnt it lol. i hope you get in though!!! on a more happy note, ive never commited any driving offences at all, in all of my time driving. i mean never. got my test in may there :). then again... i dont get my car for another 32 days :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭inspector71

An interesting we read for all the big kids around here...

http://www.psni.police.uk/firearms.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭PEGGYSUE'S MAMA

Can anyone shed any light on what the actual DCUs are (ie districts/ divisions or whatever) and which stations fall into which areas of command? I think you can pick your DCU? I'm probably getting ahead of myself for no good reason but I think it's good to be informed at least about how everything is organised!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭MrsGeneHunt

Can anyone shed any light on what the actual DCUs are (ie districts/ divisions or whatever) and which stations fall into which areas of command? I think you can pick your DCU? I'm probably getting ahead of myself for no good reason but I think it's good to be informed at least about how everything is organised!

All on here: -

www.psni.police.uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Griffer2

Just a question for everyone who's applying...

Has Anyone applying not got a full driving licence or in the stages of trying to pass their test or did everyone have licences before they applied??

• Advertisement

Griffer2 wrote: »
    Just a question for everyone who's applying...

Has Anyone applying not got a full driving licence or in the stages of trying to pass their test or did everyone have licences before they applied??

I've a full licence and have had for oooh, almost 18 years now!!!! (da-yum, I'm OLD!!)

I also have the xtra category on mine that was in the questionnaire that came out with the IST appointment. I dont know when they changed the spec on the licence though. PYG says she doesnt have it on hers.

I bet the driving course part of training is a blast.

Fire up the roof!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool:

That skid pan does look like awesome fun!! your gonna give away your age lol

I'm one of those people who was ready to do their test at the tender age of 17 then discovered the majesty of bars and drink then the whole driving thing went down the pan! i can still drive so i reckon a wee 10 lesson job will get me ready for my test again!

That skid pan does look like awesome fun!! your gonna give away your age lol

I'm one of those people who was ready to do their test at the tender age of 17 then discovered the majesty of bars and drink then the whole driving thing went down the pan! i can still drive so i reckon a wee 10 lesson job will get me ready for my test again!

OOh skid pan, wooohooooo!!!!
    I'd get in for that test asap. Better to go into GV with a licence than without it.

And I dont feel as old as I am.....nor do I look it, apparently!!!:D:D:D:D

well u mustn't have had a hard paper round like me! i'm 23 and i'm starting to get grey hairs :(

well u mustn't have had a hard paper round like me! i'm 23 and i'm starting to get grey hairs :(

Ah 23, I remember it well........ :P

• Advertisement

I DON'T lol this year has flown past and i'm smashing my way to 24!!! :( 24 is such a boring age because there is nothing special about it!! untill it becomes the age i joined the PSNI at ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭PapaYankeeGirl

PYG from Roads Policing thinks (95% sure) that the category C (and the others) restriction came into place in 1996. That is also when the theory test became part of learning to drive.

So for us younger ones with no Category C etc we cannot drive a mini-bus, tangi (riot van) etc etc, unless we do the test for it.

Im sure someone will correct me if im wrong.

PS- if unsure check the back of your licence card and it shows the categories you are intitled to drive.

Over and out,

Sergeant PYG:D

***off now to dish out some tickets, mwah ha ha ha ha****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭pb999

was talking to a mate last night that has recently completed training and he was saying that if you fail firearms on your first go you can resit/retest, however you will lose your slot for the driving and will therefore have to sit in the passenger seat for your first 2 years!

pb999 wrote: »
    was talking to a mate last night that has recently completed training and he was saying that if you fail firearms on your first go you can resit/retest, however you will lose your slot for the driving and will therefore have to sit in the passenger seat for your first 2 years!

Nooooo!!! Def wouldnt want to be in the passenger seat!!! Thats a nightmare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Sadie OOO!!!

Nooooo!!! Def wouldnt want to be in the passenger seat!!! Thats a nightmare

Why what's wrong with the passenger seat. If it mean't getting into the force i would sit in the boot!!!:D:pac::P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭smyff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Sadie OOO!!!

smyff wrote: »

Only joking lad!!!:D Have you recieved your vetting forms yet or medical date

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Fo

I understand the 50:50 selection means the top scoring, 220 RC's & then the top scoring, 220 Non-RC's... However is there any ratio of male:female the PSNI are aiming to achieve? E.g. What if top 220 RC's were 99% male, would they have to drop the latter half of men & select females instead? Also does this apply to all various sexualities?

Cheers, Fo

Fo wrote: »
    I understand the 50:50 selection means the top scoring, 220 RC's & then the top scoring, 220 Non-RC's... However is there any ratio of male:female the PSNI are aiming to achieve? E.g. What if top 220 RC's were 99% male, would they have to drop the latter half of men & select females instead? Also does this apply to all various sexualities?

Cheers, Fo

Hey hun!!!
    I think male/female might come into it but couldnt be sure, I do know that they are trying to up the % of females from 22% to 25%
    It was also mentioned that the number of times you've applied comes into play and I didnt think that this was true but now that I've seen Vetting forms and it asks for previous campaigns UID nos that might be a factor too.

Dont think sexuality comes into it at all.

We'll know in a couple of weeks when we can get our merit numbers. When I spoke to recruitment a few weeks ago they guy told me that the Dear John letters would be going out soon so I would have an educated guess and say it'll be at the end of the month when the merit list is complete.

The waiting is torturous. But at least I feel like I have done something by getting the Vetting and getting it away!!!!:p

Why what's wrong with the passenger seat. If it mean't getting into the force i would sit in the boot!!!:D:pac::P

nowt wrong with being the observer but you would want to have a break once in a while, plus you get to drive really fast! :D nee-naw nee-naw! :P

• Advertisement

Nee naw is more fire service:D:D. I would class the cops siren as more of a whoop whoop whoooooo :D:D

Then again I have been told im crazy:eek:

Cant think why.:D

You got somthin to say Mrs????:D

Nee naw is more fire service:D:D. I would class the cops siren as more of a whoop whoop whoooooo :D:D

some of the landrovers go nee-naw! they have a plethora of sirens available to suit every mood! variety is the spice of life :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭given1

pb999 wrote: »
    some of the landrovers go nee-naw! they have a plethora of sirens available to suit every mood! variety is the spice of life :p

i was told that landrovers have a unigue siren that they will put on if theyre lost in an area or get into a spot of bother, dont know if its true though:confused:

I know that all emergency vehicles have an 'open road siren' and an 'in traffic (get the fook out of my way) siren':D:D

I know that all emergency vehicles have an 'open road siren' and an 'in traffic (get the fook out of my way) siren':D:D

lol dont think the 'in traffic siren' used to work to well for them from what i can remember:cool:

A lot of people panic when they hear and see the blues and two's behind them and freeze in the middle of the road!! lol

A lot of people panic when they hear and see the blues and two's behind them and freeze in the middle of the road!! lol

lol i think it was beyound that, there was just cars casually driving up both lanes, clearly ignoring the fact that theres a police car with blues and twos behind them:eek:

• Advertisement

One night not long after i had passed my test, i was out in my dads car driving myself when i noticed blue lights and a siren behind me. I thought ok ill just pull in and the them past. So i indicated and pulled over to the left, i looked in my mirror and seen them indicated and pulling in behind me. I was like 'fook' :eek:

Lesson learned, they dont always want past, sometimes they want you!!

BEWARE!!!

Advertisement