Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Penis Eye

nickni wrote: »
    I thought c14 was around 10000, supposed to of been the biggest campaign yet? alot of competition for 440 jobs :eek:

i thought it was only 8000 as well but u no what rumours are like. spose it could have been 10000 as there were 3000 other people at my ist and a further 2500 at the ac. think when i was doin my smt there were about 14000 peopl although not all of them might have been in the recrtuitment process.

not sure how accurate my numbers are but they are based on scientific fact!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭bet0409

at 8000 applicants thats about 18 people for every position :eek: 10000 is about 22 :eek: thats alot of competition!

I think you might be right nickni, i remember reading somewhere that since RUC changed to PSNI 7-8 years ago, there have been 80000 applications - i think it was on the chief constable report on the psni website (i have a memory for useless information!). so yeah, a lot of competition....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭given1

at 8000 applicants thats about 18 people for every position :eek: 10000 is about 22 :eek: thats alot of competition!

when you put it that way it is indeed:eek: if you look at it to ratio of rc/non rc applying, theres a hell lot more non rc applyin still so competition is harder there, whil for rc it isnt as big! c13 out of the roughly 8000 who applyed, 70% were from from the non r/c community, so that proves it:eek:

sithlordm3 wrote: »
    Am I on the right forum? No idea, but after 3 dear johns this has been 4th time lucky for me. 'Got the call' on Thursday. They asked me to confirm my details then casually said they have a place for me in April!!

For most people this is a no brainer and a year or 3 ago I wouldn't have thought twice, but now that I'm 35 (Omg!) Married, with one 3yr old and earning in excess of 21K. The starting salary wont be significantly much more than I'm on now & I've been through similar before as I was PT RIR for 10 years, and not sure if I want to go through the mill again for the sake of a few dollars more.

I know money isnt just the issue, and career prospects are good etc, but I'm a manager in my own job now & I'd have to dump that to become a bottom runger again, and promotion in PSNI isn't that easy by all accounts!

Meeting with an ex work colleague later in the week who joined recently to ask him a few things.

I've really only got a week to decide whether to hand my notice in or not.:confused:

BRICKING IT!!!!! :eek: btw whats the team colour etc for 12 April intake??

well mate what did u end up doin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭smyff

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/7930012.stm anyone see that on bbcnews? thats pretty crazy stuff. sounds like they knew their targets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭PapaYankeeGirl

Ha ha made you look!!!!!!!!!!

smyff wrote: »
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/7930012.stm anyone see that on bbcnews? thats pretty crazy stuff. sounds like they knew their targets

i didnt get that out of the article so i cant agree with ur statement (as ur pm requested :D)

it seems like they just hit someone and didnt want to be caught. not targetting anyone. might be wrong tho!

Not good at all. I have an application running with GMP at the moment:eek:!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Ali08

Ha ha made you look!!!!!!!!!!

haha good one! And to think you were made moderator after showing maturity!! haha:D

I had the reason why my dog is scared all typed out but just didnt send it. It doesnt really matter anyway.

• Advertisement

Penis Eye wrote: »
    i didnt get that out of the article so i cant agree with ur statement (as ur pm requested :D)

it seems like they just hit someone and didnt want to be caught. not targetting anyone. might be wrong tho!

aaahahhahaha it took me a while to get haha.

does anyone else think that the amount of RC's applying this year might be lower, because of yesterdays events?

might make them see the real security threats that there is. it wont deter me, but it might effect other peoples decisions depending on their wider background

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭MrsGeneHunt

does anyone else think that the amount of RC's applying this year might be lower, because of yesterdays events?

might make them see the real security threats that there is. it wont deter me, but it might effect other peoples decisions depending on their wider background

It probably will, which sadly means that those d1ckhead dissidents get to win. Personally, it makes me even more determined to get out there and put the scum behind bars where they bloody well belong.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭James_UK

I hope you don't mind my input here. I'm a RC and have a few years to apply for the PSNI. But I saw all the ambulances and Police rushing in and out of that road (Was getting my tea from the Chinese across the roundabout) and I immediately wanted to know that was going on, not to be nosey, but when the big cop was talking to us and said we can't go down there, he sounded like he'd just been told there was a bomb big enough to blow up Antrim and it was down the road. After asking my queen of knowledge, PYG, I looked on the UTV & BBC website and I was disgusted. To think someone could drag us back to the 'Old days' makes me feel sick but really does drive me on to want to get into the force and get scum (Harsh, but true) like those off the street. I totally agree with the statement below, they'll only win if we let them though!

My thoughts go out to the soldier's poor poor family.

It probably will, which sadly means that those d1ckhead dissisdents get to win. Personally, it makes me even more determined to get out there and put the scum behind bars where they bloody well belong.:mad:

--
    Rant over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭integra1

Sorry PYG (Moderator) if this is in wrong section, but may I ask after the very recent tragic loss of life of serving army officers in Antrim and the ongoing high level threat from dissidents, is anyone thinking twice about their PSNI applications?

I still want to pursue my dream career but I will say that it is a huge concern if successful as a PSNI trainee/constable. Just trying to see others view points?

Cheers
    Teg:)

integra1 wrote: »
    Sorry PYG (Moderator) if this is in wrong section, but may I ask after the very recent tragic loss of life of serving army officers in Antrim and the ongoing high level threat from dissidents, is anyone thinking twice about their PSNI applications?

I still want to pursue my dream career but I will say that it is a huge concern if successful as a PSNI trainee/constable. Just trying to see others view points?

Cheers

Mate dont worry- you are in the General thread.

I must say it does bring the dangers home after the events of last night no matter what religion you are. We cant/shouldnt/wont be put off by a minority of terrorists. We need more police officers to counteract them!! If anything we all should be more determined to be police officers so that nothing like this should ever happen again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭1979SD

Cheers

I think anyone who claims not to be a little concerned would by fibbing.
    I was thinking about it today whilst with my wife and daughter (two of the big reasons i'm leaving my current career and pursuing this) and trying to imagine how they would cope with a such a tradgedy?
    It's really got me thinking about what I do for a living now and what I intend to do (hopefully) soon, I'm trying to think how i'd feel if the roles were reversed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭suziesaysso

This might sound a little feckless, but I see the threat posed to members of the security forces as an occupational hazard, similar to the way a builder for example has significant risks posed to their health as a result of their chosen trade.

So whilst you are concerned about what may happen, you just have to do your best to keep yourself and your family safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭beca

my bro was in the army years ago during the troubles, he said that people have a responsiblity to them not only to keep their familly safe but to keep themselves safe because if anything ever happened them, the familly would be left behind to deal with losing them, how would they cope without a husband or brother or daddy?? i was thinking today that it could have been him that had ordered a pizza when he was in barracks, how would i feel if id lost him?

on the other hand, you could apply that responsability to everything, driving carefully, going out drinking, anything could happen anybody anytime so now im in 2 minds about the whole thing. still applying to keep my name in there but this has definatly gave me something to think about. altho as PYG says, all the more reason to become an officer and bring those kind of people to justice

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭nickni

Anyone have a rough idea when the calls for the may intake might start? Thats me, not even april intake in yet and i'm worrying about the may one :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭bet0409

Anyone have a rough idea when the calls for the may intake might start? Thats me, not even april intake in yet and i'm worrying about the may one :D

the calls for april intake started on 19th feb, which is just over 7 weeks before training starts, so if may intake starts on 17th May, maybe they will start doing calls on 26th March or so (if they follow the same pattern each intake). Will keep my fingers crossed for you!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭1979SD

26th would be my guess - that would be inline with the previous intakes this year, then if what we here is correct it will be around 10 weeks till the calls go out for the Jul course if the June one has been cancelled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Cheers

Its a good post and well worth a discussion. I admire your honesty and openness to post it so Kudos to you Teg.

My own opinion on it is people like yourself and myself have a responsibility to our families. It doesnt matter what job we do, family always comes first no matter what.

If you feel the dangers of working in the PSNI are unacceptably high then walk away from it. No one is or should think any less of you for doing it.

Everyone should keep in mind that if they join any Police force it doesnt just involve them, it involves the whole family. Police work is time and life consuming and you need the support of your family to do it.

My 2 cents

bet0409 wrote: »
    the calls for april intake started on 19th feb, which is just over 7 weeks before training starts, so if may intake starts on 17th May, maybe they will start doing calls on 26th March or so (if they follow the same pattern each intake). Will keep my fingers crossed for you!!

I appreciate that mate, thanks :D

TheNog wrote: »
    Its a good post and well worth a discussion. I admire your honesty and openness to post it so Kudos to you Teg.

My own opinion on it is people like yourself and myself have a responsibility to our families. It doesnt matter what job we do, family always comes first no matter what.

If you feel the dangers of working in the PSNI are unacceptably high then walk away from it. No one is or should think any less of you for doing it.

Everyone should keep in mind that if they join any Police force it doesnt just involve them, it involves the whole family. Police work is time and life consuming and you need the support of your family to do it.

My 2 cents

I agree with you NOG, it affects your whole family and friend circle. There will be times when the job will be stressful but then their will be the times when you have genuinely helped a member of the public or a colleague and that will make it all worth while. My whole family, circle of friends and better half :p supports me in my application as it is what i have always wanted to do, so that makes the decision to carry on alot easier for me in my opinion.

I definately dont think any less of anyone who is reconsidering or indeed has chosen not to join up due to the events in the last week, they have made a decision which they feel best suits themselves and those close to them.

Sorry for the long post :p

Great words Nog/Nick, totally agree. However, I knew from day one this is what I want! I was concerned re security but I cannot and will not walk away from what I realy really want to do, I have worked very hard to achieve this offer of appointment. I am submitting my acceptance to this offer today. I feel good. My family are very supportive, I am thankful for that and pray that they and I will be safe throughout my service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Fingers Crossed

Never say never, if the guy was right bout getting called for medical a few days ago, you never know ;)

I wonder if anyone can tell me a bit more about this can't find the origional note but did this person just get a call for medical out of the blue and did he get a Dear John previously? I heard there is so many peoply dropping out was wondering if they were recalling from C14 campaign

I wonder if anyone can tell me a bit more about this can't find the origional note but did this person just get a call for medical out of the blue and did he get a Dear John previously? I heard there is so many peoply dropping out was wondering if they were recalling from C14 campaign

Yeah i'd like to know more about that as well. As a non-rc 350's im desperate for a medical, vetting cleared 7-8 months ago!

The person was called Lure as far as I remember, wish they'd tell us a little more.

I wonder is this accurate, are a lot of people dropping out? I honestly reckon there must be! I know a guy who was going to apply and now is not after what has happened.....he was RC and knew he had a good chance...

• Advertisement

I think there must be. This sounds cruel but I hope a good few are non-rc, then maybe me and MGH wil get in. Iv heard various people saying that people are dropping out of GV each week, choosing not to accept a training place or just not applying.

On another topic I applied 1st day at 9am and got my IST letter on saturaday (9days after). As like many others

Advertisement