Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

i know a few people who are not going forward i guess they must be faint hearted on a different note i applied on day 1 and i have heard nothing yet anyone else in the same boat alsoi am not sure about psni but i have heard that the drop out rate for garda at the moment is about 8% idont know how true that fig is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭smyff

I think there must be. This sounds cruel but I hope a good few are non-rc, then maybe me and MGH wil get in. Iv heard various people saying that people are dropping out of GV each week, choosing not to accept a training place or just not applying.

On another topic I applied 1st day at 9am and got my IST letter on saturaday (9days after). As like many others
    its not cruel. they obviously are as passionate (did i spell that right) about gettin the job compared to a lot of other people. if you n MGH do as well + better than last year, it just gives you an even better chance of doing what you have always wanted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Kelz

i have heard from a 'reliable' source that approximately 6 ppl dropped out of GV last week....which is quite a high percentage of ppl since there usually bout 40 in each intake!! I am in the April intake and have absolutely no doubts whatsoever!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭bet0409

Kelz wrote: »
    i have heard from a 'reliable' source that approximately 6 ppl dropped out of GV last week....which is quite a high percentage of ppl since there usually bout 40 in each intake!! I am in the April intake and have absolutely no doubts whatsoever!!

No way, Kelz do you mean 6 people who had already started in one of the previous intakes have dropped out after they started training? Or 6 people who got offers said no?

Wow, that is a lot, I'm a bit shocked!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

MrFug wrote: »
    Hopefully I've freed up a spot for someone else!

You haven't. They won't backfill it because the course has already started. Even if you leave on the same day, they don't backfill leavers. In reality, if you had decided that you didn't want this *before* you were offered a place, or even declined it when it was offered, it would have been offered to someone else. Now your "spot" has simply been wasted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Penis Eye

psni wrote: »
    You haven't. They won't backfill it because the course has already started. Even if you leave on the same day, they don't backfill leavers. In reality, if you had decided that you didn't want this *before* you were offered a place, or even declined it when it was offered, it would have been offered to someone else. Now your "spot" has simply been wasted.

but surely in the overall scheme of things if they were recruiting 440 people and mister fug dropped out they would recruit someone else to bring it up to 440 again??

so it might be truer to say his spot on that intake was wasted, (also leaves it open for someone to back squad) but has opened a space for someone else on future intakes?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Penis Eye wrote: »
    but surely in the overall scheme of things if they were recruiting 440 people and mister fug dropped out they would recruit someone else to bring it up to 440 again??

so it might be truer to say his spot on that intake was wasted, (also leaves it open for someone to back squad) but has opened a space for someone else on future intakes?

Not how it works I'm afraid. They take in a set number of people in each intake. If X amount of people drop out, the next intake number does not increase by X.

What they would have to do is look back over the course of the year to see how many people dropped out, and call in that number of people for training in one separate intake... but what would happen if someone from *that* intake were to drop out? Should there be an intake of 1 to make it 440?

I know how you're thinking, but in practice it just doesn't work that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Ali08

psni wrote: »
    Not how it works I'm afraid. They take in a set number of people in each intake. If X amount of people drop out, the next intake number does not increase by X.

What they would have to do is look back over the course of the year to see how many people dropped out, and call in that number of people for training in one separate intake... but what would happen if someone from *that* intake were to drop out? Should there be an intake of 1 to make it 440?

I know how you're thinking, but in practice it just doesn't work that way.

PSNI, does that then effect the 50:50 policy, if say more people from one community background dropped out....would it end up unbalanced, or are the figures based on who is offered the 440 places rather than who completes the training?
    If you can make sense of that?! lol :confused:

It doesn't affect 50/50 because that person was OFFERED a place. THEY chose to leave. As long as the organisation can show that they are abiding by the 50/50 rule, then that's all that matters.
    Ali08 wrote: »
    PSNI, does that then effect the 50:50 policy, if say more people from one community background dropped out....would it end up unbalanced, or are the figures based on who is offered the 440 places rather than who completes the training?
    If you can make sense of that?! lol :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭MrsGeneHunt

Loads drop out.

The Weekly Order reads like a joke sometimes.

Infuriating when loads who are well qualified dont get offered places purely because of background.

Harumph!:mad:

• Advertisement

bet0409 wrote: »
    No way, Kelz do you mean 6 people who had already started in one of the previous intakes have dropped out after they started training? Or 6 people who got offers said no?

Wow, that is a lot, I'm a bit shocked!

A lot do quit.

Its not for everyone,sometimes they dont realise it til they're in and reality hits.

However, it most def for me.
    And PYG.
    :D

yyyeeeeeeehhhaaaawwwwwwwww

Sorry, tad delirious, off tomorrow :D

Anyway, this thread about the test, so back on topic before the Mod infracts me.
    I'm soooooooo looking forward to it.........NOT

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭PapaYankeeGirl

Interesting stuff psni.

On the 50:50 chat, just to clarify.... would a non-rc ever get a RC drop outs space or visaversa??

By the sounds of it no, once the place is gone, its gone.:(

I'm intrigued, been reading on other threads about drop out rates at GV.... Does anyone have any idea how many people offered a place in each campaign actually go on to pass the training? As in, 440 people are offered places each year, how many people drop out and how many people fail to pass the training? Not looking for specifics, just a general figure, and purely just out of nosiness!!

I'm intrigued, been reading on other threads about drop out rates at GV.... Does anyone have any idea how many people offered a place in each campaign actually go on to pass the training? As in, 440 people are offered places each year, how many people drop out and how many people fail to pass the training? Not looking for specifics, just a general figure, and purely just out of nosiness!!

Judging by what I've read and who I've talked to I wouldnt be surprised if it was ten percent.

By the sounds of it no, once the place is gone, its gone.:(

I meant in the 'make up the numbers at the end' squad. What I was getting at was say the 'make up the numbers at the end' squad was due to have 50 people in it made up from 25 rc and 25 non rc previous drop out places would they ever give non rcs 40 places and rcs 10 places or the other way around. Or would they only replace non rcs with non rcs and rcs with rcs

Anyway, this thread about the test, so back on topic before the Mod infracts me
    you havent lived... until youve been infracted :)

I meant in the 'make up the numbers at the end' squad. What I was getting at was say the 'make up the numbers at the end' squad was due to have 50 people in it made up from 25 rc and 25 non rc previous drop out places would they ever give non rcs 40 places and rcs 10 places or the other way around. Or would they only replace non rcs with non rcs and rcs with rcs
    maybe thats why theyve called for a few more medicals? or that could have been dropouts before the call!

smyff wrote: »
    :eek:
    Sounds painful!!!!!

I could well oblige......who wants one??:D

• Advertisement

Dont think that squad exists, the way I read PSNIs comment, he was using this as an example. I could be wrong. I had a very stressful afternoon!!!!

maybe thats why theyve called for a few more medicals? or that could have been dropouts before the call!

I hope enough drop out so that myself and my partner in crime MGH can get in;).

Imagin the PSNI without a Constable Hunt and a Constable Girl?!?!:D

I'm phoning the chinese.

Anyone want anything?

its actually pretty relaxing!!! youd never think it!!! ill take a few if theyre for free :)

I'm phoning the chinese.

Anyone want anything?

Yes please. Chicken green pepper black bean sauce, fried rice, ill share a chip with you and i guess you'll be getting a tub of gravy for the side.:D

its actually pretty relaxing!!! youd never think it!!! ill take a few if theyre for free :)

Dont want to feed your habit....next thing you'll be addicted.

Judging by what I've read and who I've talked to I wouldnt be surprised if it was ten percent.

wow, bit crazy eh? i get that people might get into the training programme and realise its not for them, its just a shame they couldn't somehow just know beforehand that it wasn't the career path they want to follow so they wouldn't accept the offer to free up the places for people who really do want to do the job and are prepared for all the training.... (thinking about you MGH and PYG, i get the impression you are both just a wee it keen?!!!!). i'm blethering, just all seems a bit unfair for those who are still left waiting......

Yes please. Chicken green pepper black bean sauce, fried rice, ill share a chip with you and i guess you'll be getting a tub of gravy for the side.:D

No gravy tonight!

No gravy tonight!

You were the one who had to get it the last time;)

So what you having???

PS. hope you lot dont mind me shifting posts to this general thread, just want to try and keep IST threads etc relevant to their topic.

• Advertisement

wow, bit crazy eh? i get that people might get into the training programme and realise its not for them, its just a shame they couldn't somehow just know beforehand that it wasn't the career path they want to follow so they wouldn't accept the offer to free up the places for people who really do want to do the job and are prepared for all the training.... (thinking about you MGH and PYG, i get the impression you are both just a wee it keen?!!!!). i'm blethering, just all seems a bit unfair for those who are still left waiting......

Gosh are we that obviously keen..........:eek::D

Advertisement