Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭RoscoPColtrane

woohooo! a whole extra 200 squid to splurge with, would keep me in wine and m&s crisps for a while... how sad eh!:P

Keep me a week tops.....forget the crisps... eatins cheatin...sadder...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭MrsGeneHunt

Keep me a week tops.....forget the crisps... eatins cheatin...sadder...

Don't you get the wine munchies?! LOL

Don't you get the wine munchies?! LOL

Nah..Just the blackouts. Need to remove battery and simm from mobile too. Hide phone battery charger simm in separate places. and thumbs cut off. Get the dreads looking at the call log/sent messages the next day. I LOVE YOU....DONT MAKE ME CUT MYSELF..(Dont run away. Quote from Alan Carr peeps. Im not quite so bad.) I once hid all so well on myself that to this day I still cannae find them. Wine is not my friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 suki600

In the interest of equal opportunity of course what about a pic of a couple of hot girl cops. Chicks in riot gear.mmmmmm

suki600 wrote: »
    In the interest of equal opportunity of course what about a pic of a couple of hot girl cops. Chicks in riot gear.mmmmmm

You wont need pics when you get to gv sweetie...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 suki600

Sounds good just have to pass IST etc first. Have IST this week,think I need to do couple of practice tests, I always leave stuff until the last minute!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭1979SD

Anybody know if there are any 'perks' to the job involving sports etc? I mean i know some of the stations have gyms, but as you will be expected to remain fit for your job if the station doesn't have a gym do the psni give out gym memberships or anything?
    What i'm after ideally is a golf membership and a gym membership somewhere! It's not much to ask - so if anyone knows any info feel free to share. I'm looking in your direction MGH!!!

Cheers 1979.

P.S Sorry about the endless questions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭smyff

Nah..Just the blackouts. Need to remove battery and simm from mobile too. Hide phone battery charger simm in separate places. and thumbs cut off. Get the dreads looking at the call log/sent messages the next day. I LOVE YOU....DONT MAKE ME CUT MYSELF..(Dont run away. Quote from Alan Carr peeps. Im not quite so bad.) I once hid all so well on myself that to this day I still cannae find them. Wine is not my friend.
    aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh hahaha. when i drink i am the worst for texting people. wine isnt my friend either. i always do mad stuff on wine. eugh

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bc84

1979SD wrote: »
    Anybody know if there are any 'perks' to the job involving sports etc? I mean i know some of the stations have gyms, but as you will be expected to remain fit for your job if the station doesn't have a gym do the psni give out gym memberships or anything?
    What i'm after ideally is a golf membership and a gym membership somewhere! It's not much to ask - so if anyone knows any info feel free to share. I'm looking in your direction MGH!!!

Cheers 1979.

not sure about the gyms, im sure you'd get membership to the ones that do have gyms like newforge etc but i couldnt see them providing you with a memebership to belfast council gyms or something. think theres benefits when you represent them at sport etc think a friend of mine said you get extra rest hours for football training and matches etc, thats what would be interesting me. whether its true or not remains to be seen

smyff wrote: »
    aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh hahaha. when i drink i am the worst for texting people. wine isnt my friend either. i always do mad stuff on wine. eugh

buckfast wine for me, yum!

:D

• Advertisement

bc84 wrote: »

Medicinal purposes only I'm sure. With the brown paper bag. Next step the gutter. Youre pure hardcore hi. :D

bc84 wrote: »

hahahah too mannnnny bad memories which are good with the buckfast. id die for a bottle right now. if only it didnt come with a hangover

hahahah too mannnnny bad memories which are good with the buckfast. id die for a bottle right now. if only it didnt come with a hangover

It would need to come with a edjit alert, a health warning that a replacement liver may be needed, a cardboard box with a wee bit of carpet henceforth known as "your digs" and a stomach pump gift voucher.

Medicinal purposes only I'm sure. With the brown paper bag. Next step the gutter. Youre pure hardcore hi. :D

yes, purely medicinal.....

think i'd have to knock it on the head if i got in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Louisiana 1927

Cheers 1979.

You can use the gyms in the stations which have them, you can keep fit there as they have all the neccessary equipment required to do so. If your in a station that has no gym then i'd say you can use the gym @ the nearest station.

Why do you think you'd get a golf membership:confused::confused:?

I'd say that the PSNI have enough financial difficulties in relation to policing on a daily basis, i mean there was speculation that they may not even be, financially, in a position to recruit next year let alone shell out for gym & golf memberships.

There are clubs & societies within the organisation & you can join them if you wish to participate in sporting activities with colleagues, i'm sure that they have a golf society in which you'd probably have to make some sort of financial contribution but it's highly, highly unlikely that you'd get a membership to a golf club for nowt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭PEGGYSUE'S MAMA

some clubs and organisations may offer discounted rates to police officers, there are plenty of them about scrabbling for business at the mo! think some banks, insurers, travel agents etc give preferential rates to the polis.... on mainland peelers even get money off in, wait for it, pizzahut! (so long as tis not a bank holiday!) i know fire brigade get money off in food establishments, figures eh!
    I hear from very good sources, ie the in-laws that newforge is a good spot, and yes i do believe that it is true if you are involved in anything that is representing the psni, sporting/musical/whatever you do get extra time off!

some clubs and organisations may offer discounted rates to police officers, there are plenty of them about scrabbling for business at the mo! think some banks, insurers, travel agents etc give preferential rates to the polis.... on mainland peelers even get money off in, wait for it, pizzahut! (so long as tis not a bank holiday!) i know fire brigade get money off in food establishments, figures eh!
    I hear from very good sources, ie the in-laws that newforge is a good spot, and yes i do believe that it is true if you are involved in anything that is representing the psni, sporting/musical/whatever you do get extra time off!

Yes indeed PSM, i heard that also re if you play sports or music representing the PSNI you get time off.

You can use the gyms in the stations which have them, you can keep fit there as they have all the neccessary equipment required to do so. If your in a station that has no gym then i'd say you can use the gym @ the nearest station.

Why do you think you'd get a golf membership:confused::confused:?

I'd say that the PSNI have enough financial difficulties in relation to policing on a daily basis, i mean there was speculation that they may not even be, financially, in a position to recruit next year let alone shell out for gym & golf memberships.

There are clubs & societies within the organisation & you can join them if you wish to participate in sporting activities with colleagues, i'm sure that they have a golf society in which you'd probably have to make some sort of financial contribution but it's highly, highly unlikely that you'd get a membership to a golf club for nowt.

Seriousley - no free golf memberships? You've put me off joining!
    I had a look at the Newforge website and it does look good for sport and social - and the rates are very good.
    I can't believe they don't have a golf course there? I will have to ring one of the stations and ask about it, I don't know if I could work somewhere without a golf course?
    Is this worthy of a whole new thread?????

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Seriousley - no free golf memberships? You've put me off joining!
    I had a look at the Newforge website and it does look good for sport and social - and the rates are very good.
    I can't believe they don't have a golf course there? I will have to ring one of the stations and ask about it, I don't know if I could work somewhere without a golf course?
    Is this worthy of a whole new thread?????

No free golf memberships I'm afraid.

psni wrote: »
    No free golf memberships I'm afraid.

Any discounted rates or societies around Northern Ireland?

• Advertisement

yes i do believe that it is true if you are involved in anything that is representing the psni, sporting/musical/whatever you do get extra time off!

Must hoke me Banjo out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭given1

just wondering are they relaxing security around police stations??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭dark side

given1 wrote: »
    just wondering are they relaxing security around police stations??

don't think so, looks as if they want to increase it.

They want to increase the height of fencing by 2.5m in Lisnaskee

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/foyle_and_west/8049579.stm

Thats probabally only the start of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 dark1ne

some stats of the current recruitment has been released:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/8052745.stm

Almost 10,000 applicants, 37% RC and although it doesn't say in this article
    on bbc news it was reported that about 1/3 of applicants where female!

Everyone has roughly 4.5% of getting one of the 440 place!

edit: the 4.5% doesn't take the 50:50 in to account
    RC's have got about 6% chance of getting a place
    Non RC'S have got 3.5% chance of getting a place

dark1ne wrote: »
    some stats of the current recruitment has been released:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/8052745.stm

Everyone has roughly 4.5% of getting one of the 440 place!

Gee, that makes me feel soooo much better.....:rolleyes:

You know what they say, you gotta be in it to win it;)

actually it does. cause most people dont get through the IST, you said it yourself. so that percentage gets higher i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Chelsea555

actually it does. cause most people dont get through the IST, you said it yourself. so that percentage gets higher i think.
    :(:P

I still dont feel any better tho :(

I'm putting it down to Champagne poisoning.
    I have drunk enough to sink a small third world country tonight.
    Whoops. Also think i woke half my neighbours up fumbling for the door whilst singing some of Ultravoxs greatest hits.
    OOOhhhhh Viiieeennnnaaaaaaaaa
    :o:o

• Advertisement

I still dont feel any better tho :(

I'm putting it down to Champagne poisoning.
    I have drunk enough to sink a small third world country tonight.
    Whoops. Also think i woke half my neighbours up fumbling for the door whilst singing some of Ultravoxs greatest hits.
    OOOhhhhh Viiieeennnnaaaaaaaaa
    :o:o

Think that might have been their only "greatest hit"...

Advertisement