Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal People

Options
  • 15-06-2008 11:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

Maybe people should visit Donegal before they proclaim the benefits of the EU. Sure, it benefits big business and big government.

However as always the ordinary honest person is thrown aside, just as all the jobs have been thrown out of the North West.

All the paid off "experts" cannot fool the people, as the massive NO vote in the North West has shown.

And now they are trying to ram it through as we all knew beforehand.

A Disgrace.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

it's not our fault you live in donegal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭thecaptain

it's not our fault you live in donegal

I live in Malahide, however I do have a respect for other people.

Don't get that confused with anything esle.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

thecaptain wrote: »
    however I do have a respect for other people.

And yet you start threads like "offaly stupid" ??wow OP get your story straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Indeed, I think the captain has a few internal issues of his own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

donegal north have a very strong sinn fein canditate in pierce doherty , its not that surprising there was such a strong no vote there , border constituencies tend to vote along some what narrow nationalistic lines , i.e , monaghan , louth etc

• Advertisement

And yet you start threads like "offaly stupid" ??wow OP get your story straight.

Don't confuse SHEEPLE who blindly follow a leader (Offaly people) with real people who vote based on the real facts, not the propaganda.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

sure how has europe discriminated against donegal?.......its main problem is its geographic location.....its light years away from the rest of civilisiation its annexed off by the north,what company'd want to invest there?....and anyways donegal is massive FF teritory who return Jimmy,Mary and Pat year in year out....if they were so digruntled why would the same politicions keep gettin re-elected

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭ixtlan

Open to correction but would the fishing vote be significant in Donegal?

That is I think the one area where we would be better off outside the EU. If I were a fisherman maybe I would vote that way too.

I think for the whole country that would be the wrong choice, but I can understand the anger of the fishermen (and women? are there any women?).

Ix

slickmcvic wrote: »
    sure how has europe discriminated against donegal?.......its main problem is its geographic location.....its light years away from the rest of civilisiation its annexed off by the north,what company'd want to invest there?....and anyways donegal is massive FF teritory who return Jimmy,Mary and Pat year in year out....if they were so digruntled why would the same politicions keep gettin re-elected

Have you no memory, Donegal had plenty of big manufacturing plants before various trade agreements resulted in the use of slave labour in Asia.

As for FF, when you are presented with scum or scum to vote for, you will get scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

As for FF, when you are presented with scum or scum to vote for, you will get scum.

So surely it's time for a beacon of light, justice and tolerence like yourself to move into politics. With you solid ideals you should have an easy rise to power.

Or you can just bitch and troll more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 intheknow37

Captain you have serious issues ...get a life ...im from offaly and a very proud offalyman at that and i would not be of below average intelligence like yourself to label everyone from a county like u have done with your posts

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

would it be possible to add sheeple to the censored word list?

getting real sick of conspiracy nuts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭ixtlan

Have you no memory, Donegal had plenty of big manufacturing plants before various trade agreements resulted in the use of slave labour in Asia.

This does not reflect the reality of the world. The companies opened in Donegal because
    1/ Labour was cheap
    2/ They had free access to the European market.

They left because
    1/ Labour had become too expensive because our standard of living had increased too much.
    2/ Cheap(slave perhaps) labour in Asia was much cheaper.

While the EU allowed such imports after trade agreements, if we had not joined the EU we would never have got the factories to begin with, and even if we did, we would never have affected the EU policies on trade at all. It would not matter if Ireland kept tarriffs.

Ix.

would it be possible to add sheeple to the censored word list?

getting real sick of conspiracy nuts

How about this for a conspiracy:

Another referendum, ram it through and roll on as planned.

The big boys are scared, the gravy train could stop and they may even have to do some real work in the future. Thats the facts.

ixtlan wrote: »
    This does not reflect the reality of the world. The companies opened in Donegal because
    1/ Labour was cheap
    2/ They had free access to the European market.

They left because
    1/ Labour had become too expensive because our standard of living had increased too much.
    2/ Cheap(slave perhaps) labour in Asia was much cheaper.

While the EU allowed such imports after trade agreements, if we had not joined the EU we would never have got the factories to begin with, and even if we did, we would never have affected the EU policies on trade at all. It would not matter if Ireland kept tarriffs.

Ix.

Another person with a short memory. The north was a centre of world textile production long before europe or any trade agreements (races to the bottom).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 intheknow37

captain come down from your bedroom ...your mammy wants to give u your din dins....

Big manufacturing plants pulled out of Ireland...not just Donegal....The trouble is that the rest of the country moved onto other industries pharmacuticals,IT,Service industries...Donegal stayed static and fell behind...I remember Dinny McGinley calling for the minimum wage to be waivered in order to get some investment into Donegal!!
    A big part of Donegals failure lies with the Donegal people themselves...they object to any type of change and progress...Theres industrial estates lying empty because of an objection campaign against a well needed power line......a plan to set up a aeronautical painting facility in the west was scrapped due to objections....Donegal people fear change and resent sucess...the only investment it gets is companys seting up for a short while to get the Udras Grants and then uping sticks and heading somewhere else (often still in Ireland)

Big manufacturing plants pulled out of Ireland...not just Donegal....The trouble is that the rest of the country moved onto other industries pharmacuticals,IT,Service industries...Donegal stayed static and fell behind...I remember Dinny McGinley calling for the minimum wage to be waivered in order to get some investment into Donegal!!
    A big part of Donegals failure lies with the Donegal people themselves...they object to any type of change and progress...Theres industrial estates lying empty because of an objection campaign against a well needed power line......a plan to set up a aeronautical painting facility in the west was scrapped due to objections....Donegal people fear change and resent sucess...the only investment it gets is companys seting up for a short while to get the Udras Grants and then uping sticks and heading somewhere else (often still in Ireland)

Rubbish. Read a book called "The Trap" by Sir James Goldsmith. He tells the truth about globalism, one of the worlds richest men in his day.

As for the willingness to adapt???

We are adapting towards a police state complete with transhumanism, remember that. We adapt to everything, thats the problem.

a police state complete with transhumanism

.... i knew Jim Corr was a boardsie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

theres a lot in what you say, ive met plenty of people from donegal and like nearly every scott ive met also , there quite negative with a chip on there shoulder
    the local judge in my area is a donegal man too and hes a complete ogre

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Brolly

Jimmy - joke! As for Mary and Pat, they are the greatest workers you'll ever get for the people of Donegal. Thats why the people keep re-electing them. I have seen it first hand in my local area. I don't ever consider myself less well off because I live in Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Another person with a short memory. The north was a centre of world textile production long before europe or any trade agreements (races to the bottom).

Yes and the world has changed and moved on. I somehow doubt if we had stayed out of the EU that globalisation would've just ground to a halt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

If Donegal got everything what would the rest of the marginal areas get?

Donegal has got it's fair share.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

brolly wrote: »
    Jimmy - joke! As for Mary and Pat, they are the greatest workers you'll ever get for the people of Donegal. Thats why the people keep re-electing them. .

Are they not paid to work for everyone in the country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Maybe people should visit Donegal before they proclaim the benefits of the EU. Sure, it benefits big business and big government.

However as always the ordinary honest person is thrown aside, just as all the jobs have been thrown out of the North West.

All the paid off "experts" cannot fool the people, as the massive NO vote in the North West has shown.

And now they are trying to ram it through as we all knew beforehand.

A Disgrace.

...and if the Lisbon Treaty got through, my fear was that Ireland would become the Donegal of Europe. The situation in Donegal just proves how flawed our existing political systems are - in Ireland, in Europe, and in the world! However, we have the power to change this nation's government, but under Lisbon, many government decisions would be made in Brussels, something that we'd have very little power over. Donegal can make its voice heard in Ireland and actually did so for the 2007 election, but Ireland could never make its voice heard in Europe in the same way under Lisbon.

That said, it will probably take a while before any serious action is taken in Donegal, but come the next election, you might be amazed by what could happen there, especially in light of the bad 2007 result (in Donegal) that FF will have to reflect on.

Regards!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Casey, just feck off. It says so little for you that you have to keep re-reging on here. Have a little respect for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

humanji wrote: »
    Casey, just feck off. It says so little for you that you have to keep re-reging on here. Have a little respect for yourself.

Who is that directed at and what multiple usernames are they going under - would be good to know?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

TheCaptain is Casey212, re-reg'd for the nth time. It'd be easier for him to not get noticed if he didn't keep using the same slogans he always does and kept his head down for a little while. Some people just never learn, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Donegal and other marginal areas do have things much tougher.

Ireland is not a big country population-wise on the world or EU scene, so although Dublin in percentage terms within Ireland may be getting an "unfair" level of centralised investments, and Ireland does not have a real effective 'decentralisation' plan in operation (ie: people move to work in Dublin, people dont move to Doengal and other marginalised areas), Dublin and the region around it (Leinster) is competing with other regional areas/cities across the EU. So far, Dublin has not become unmanageable ala Mexico City, Athens, Tokyo, etc, and current policies are enabling its growth further. There is no Luas in Donegal, no M50, and no trains at all in fact. There is no 46A either running every 10 mins.

So is Donegal being marginalised? Yes. If it was within an hours commute of Dublin city centre (ala Meath, Kildare, Louth, Wicklow, etc) it wouldnt be so. North East Donegal does have Derry on its doorstep, although Derry has been neglected over the decades by the powers that have been in the North so its coming a long way from behind as well.

But there will always be marginalised areas. We cant get around that. Whats needed are policies to support development in the marginalised areas so that they can catch up. Look at GDP/GNP per capita figures on a per-county basis and it can be seen how poor a job governments have been doing.

In terms of the votes though, all regions and constituencies had Yes and No votes quite close in reality. There was no region 70% for or 70% against. The biggest was 65% or so and most were in the 50's, so I dont think it was a case of the well-off saying Yes to the EU and the marginalised regions saying No.

Redspider

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement