Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superpaging

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

TheChief36 wrote: »
    Oh for God's sake I had to call it something. I had to say something in the first post. In future Ill just say "here is a collage" so no one get's confused. I did not invent collages I am not Jean Pierre de Collage. In future I think I'll just submit any collages I make to collageforum.com where they'll be more readily accepted. By the way I've invented a new form of martial art, it's called BMX-fu and combines elements of BMXing and Kung-fu. Don't look for it online though it's highly underground you'll just have to take my word it exists.

The chip on your shoulder is showing, dear.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Feh. I was going to write a long response to this, but I can't really be bothered. The idea is kind of cute, in the sense of trying to put a face of sorts on your collection, but it's not exactly deep or revolutionary.

So. Having established that, shall we all move on?

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭the Shades

Just the usual positive response with no ganging up or bullying here from people who believe they're always right then? Good to see the world's still in order.

Hi Murra .o/

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

the Shades wrote: »
    Just the usual positive response with no ganging up or bullying here from people who believe they're always right then? Good to see the world's still in order.

Hi Murra! *waves*

So anyway. Now that you're back, how about contributing to the small press thread or the discussions about making comics, instead of wasting your time in this arid wasteland of a thread? I mean, you actually make comics - or at least you used to. Surely that would be more interesting and worthwhile than pretending to stick up for some twit with a Damien Hirst complex.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

Have to agree with Fysh on this.

All you've done is rob panels created by other people, and then slapped them onto a giant page and claimed there's a secret message in there.

If there was some actual secret message scattered amongst decades of random comic panels, and you'd found it then this might be worth looking at. But as it stands...as it stands why am I even looking at this?

If you'd drawn a bunch of seemingly random panels yourself, and there was a message hidden in their seemingly random distribution then you'd have something. What you have right now is at best plagiarism, at worst nothing of any remote substance.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭TheChief36

I'm not one of those bible code people and I didn't claim there was a secret message I just analysed what I ended up with in the same way you can analyse almost anything if you know some artistic jargon. If there is a secret message it's about poop. Why we poop, both on a biological and cathartic level. How pooping is seen through the ages and in different cultures and how pooping is a painful reminder of our human frailty, especially if it's a big hard one. Notice how many of the characters are surprised as if caught in the act of pooping where they are most vulnerable. Truly the bathroom is the "final frontier" when examining modern man. I suppose it can be summed up as "To poop or not to poop". I know just enough about art to joke about it. Of course no one will ever admit to not getting a joke but don't worry it doesn't mean you're not smart it only means you don't really listen to what other people are saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭alnolan

Or it could mean the joke isn't funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

I'm not one of those bible code people and I didn't claim there was a secret message I just analysed what I ended up with in the same way you can analyse almost anything if you know some artistic jargon. If there is a secret message it's about poop. Why we poop, both on a biological and cathartic level. How pooping is seen through the ages and in different cultures and how pooping is a painful reminder of our human frailty, especially if it's a big hard one. Notice how many of the characters are surprised as if caught in the act of pooping where they are most vulnerable. Truly the bathroom is the "final frontier" when examining modern man. I suppose it can be summed up as "To poop or not to poop". I know just enough about art to joke about it. Of course no one will ever admit to not getting a joke but don't worry it doesn't mean you're not smart it only means you don't really listen to what other people are saying.

You're right I generally don't listen to what other people are saying, I prefer to make up conversations and apply them to said people. But I digress.

I'll end by saying that, assuming you're now showing your hand, and this isn't some kind of retarded double-bluff, this was a sad effort at humour, you went to all the trouble of creating that collage, and that had to have been a lot of work since you drew panels from comics covering several decades, all as part of an elaborate joke which nobody got, and which you then attempted to explain/justify with a page or so of trying to pass it off as a bluff.....this is why I don't listen to most of what people are saying.

I didn't do it for a joke. I did it and then I included a little joke with it. And people thought I was being serious with the joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,837 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Well this is the strangest thread I've read in a while.

I didn't do it for a joke. I did it and then I included a little joke with it. And people thought I was being serious with the joke.

You seem to be spending significantly more time concentrating on justifying your "joke" than on your collage. Could it be that you weren't actually trying to do something interesting and were just trying to be clever?

I just don't like people having the wrong idea about me. I don't like that people think I'm stupid enough to think putting a collage together is starting a brand new art form.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

I just don't like people having the wrong idea about me. I don't like that people think I'm stupid enough to think putting a collage together is starting a brand new art form.

the words of Mark Twain spring to mind "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt"

Honestly thou why care what people on the internet think? Just let the threat die and contribute to one of the other ones, flogging this dead horse isn't doing you any favours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭magwea

Sure the OP's Superpaging is lame, but what does the comic forum make of the awesome Garfield randomizer or the even awesomer 5 card Nancy creation of Scott Mccloud?

Maybe also, along the same lines, isn't there a recent issue of Mike Allred's Madman with each panel drawn in the style of canonical cartoonists?

Something like superpaging could work, think Tyler Durden working as a projectionist splicing two films in Fight Club only as a comic. Sure it might not be respectful to the original comic but since when have comics ever been respectful anyway.

The Garfield randomizer is ok, but pales to insignificance compared to Garfield Minus Garfield. That said, I don't think anyone has claimed that either variation is creating a valid form of new art, just that they're funnier than the original Garfield strips. As for 5-card Nancy, the same thing applies. It's fun, but there's nothing special or of any real merit to it - the whole game is based on the notion that the panels used for the game tended to be quite functional as standalone panels that could be rearranged.

I'm not sure about Madman but there are plenty of comics that have done the "illustrated in other styles" shtick; there's an issue of Stormwatch in which Jenny Sparks' life is examined and the styles for each period match the styles that are considered to define that period (so for the 50s the style was Dan Dare-type spacefaring adventure, for the 80s there was a Watchmen-style episode, etc). Then there's the Forbush-vision issue of Nextwave in which Stuart Immonen was instructed to mimic Paul Pope, Mike Mignola, Daniel Clowes and John Paul Leon for certain segments. But those are just the first couple that spring to mind, I'm sure there are loads more.

The fundamental distinction, though, is that these are examples of artists creating new work and mimicking/paying homage to the style of the original work, rather than just making copies of the original work itself and playing cut-and-paste with it.

Hell, even Roy Lichtenstein used to take the panels he was working on, project them in a large size onto a canvas on which he would then paint his piece. It was very close to tracing for my liking, but at least he was involved in the artistic work involved in making the final piece. (One thing I do have to respect about Lichtenstein was that he was firmly against the notion of "artists" being people who direct technicians or assistants in a workshop).

Superpaging could become an interesting form in its own right, in the same way that scratching and graffitti emerged as new forms of music and art based on a different approach. If it's going to be more than just a face/summary of an invidivual's comic collection, then there needs to be a lot more thought put into the design aspects and the cohesiveness of the whole. On the other hand if its intended function is to serve as a visual summary of someone's comic collection, then anything will do because it's effectively the comics equivalent of the screensaver made out of album covers that you can get on Mac OS X.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭magwea

"Superpaging could become an interesting form in its own right, in the same way that scratching and graffitti emerged as new forms of music and art based on a different approach."

It definitely has potential, and like you said good "design" but also some sort of consideration for the mechanics of comics which the OP's image really lacked in anyway are going to hold it together in the end.

Don't dis 5 card Nancy so easily though, it really sounds like great fun, I've seen some amazingly surreal results online, it is one of Jim Woodrings favorite strips for a reason. I mean, come on http://www.7415comics.com/nancy/index.shtml?658655656658655656658655656658655656658655656658655656657. Might be fun activity during the 24 hour comic event.

Advertisement