Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Second Hand Petrol cars post July?

Options
  • 15-06-2008 12:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭

what do you think will happen in the second hand petrol man/auto market post July?

for example... the 2.0 accord auto goes from €590 to €1000 road tax, and other makes similar...

i know that some people hate diesel and always buy petrol...

but it will be interesting to see what happens.... will the second hand prices of these cars take a nose dive?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,902 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Not a huge amount, remember that the tax doesn't change on pre 08 cars. Not many people who want a new car are going to buy an 07 model - its not often people buy a new car for a reason other than wanting a *new* car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

MYOB wrote: »
    Not a huge amount, remember that the tax doesn't change on pre 08 cars. Not many people who want a new car are going to buy an 07 model - its not often people buy a new car for a reason other than wanting a *new* car.

i know that tax does not change, but take this example..

an 07 accord costs €590 to tax.

where as a new one after July will cost €1000 to tax, and most likely cost 4 or 5k more to Buy.....

so as theres such a gap yoyo wise between the two, doesent it make the second hand 07 one better value?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

well it won't cost 4 or 5k more to buy anyway. What will happen is that when buying new people will lean toward diesel. Buying second hand, the price will be pinned to the cheapest of the new ones.

The accord is a bad example though as the new model is going to affect 07 prices as well

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Theoretically yes, but in practice (if tax is all you're worried about) you can spend a few euro extra and get yourself a new diesel that only costs 150 euro road tax.

peasant wrote: »
    Theoretically yes, but in practice (if tax is all you're worried about) you can spend a few euro extra and get yourself a new diesel that only costs 150 euro road tax.

its strange that honda have not released July pricing.

the new accord is due, sep/oct this year, it will be interesting to see how the 2007 accord petrol type S / exec spec models fair out in second hand pricing,

• Advertisement

what_car wrote: »
    its strange that honda have not released July pricing.

the new accord is due, sep/oct this year, it will be interesting to see how the 2007 accord petrol type S / exec spec models fair out in second hand pricing,

remember it isn't just honda pricing that matters, bmw, audi and merc prices coming down means honda prices will be badly hit.

eg an 08 second hand for 38.5k.

You can buy a new bmw 3 series or audi a4 for that.

:D
    copacetic wrote: »
    remember it isn't just honda pricing that matters, bmw, audi and merc prices coming down means honda prices will be badly hit.

eg an 08 second hand for 38.5k.

You can buy a new bmw 3 series or audi a4 for that.

i know what your saying....

for example a new e220i cdi for €46k, a new 318d for €38k ish,

i think the new model accord 2.2 exec will be in the 35/36k price range ( so i have been informed)
    its 3g more Co2 than the current diesel model.

however, with the german brands so close in that price bracket, Honda may have to trim prices more,

re the Audi A4 does that include seats?:D:D

however, with the german brands so close in that price bracket, Honda may have to trim prices more,

Only if they want to actually sell any!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I think that if prices of a new car comes down, the second-hand values will drop accordingly.

If the prices of a new car goes up, I don't think the prices of the second-hand versions will follow it up, I think they'll just stay stable - although the sales of the new version of that car will probably stall as people substitute it for a cheaper/decreasing model (i.e. diesel).

In a few years time I think people buying a second-hand '08 car will be conscious of whether they're buying a pre or post-July car - especially in terms of road tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

what do you think will happen in the second hand petrol man/auto market post July?

for example... the 2.0 accord auto goes from €590 to €1000 road tax, and other makes similar...

i know that some people hate diesel and always buy petrol...

but it will be interesting to see what happens.... will the second hand prices of these cars take a nose dive?

You've just made an argument against your theory...the second hand cars will be €410 a year cheaper to tax....why would they nosedive. Okay they'll drop according to new prices, but nothing more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

AudiChris wrote: »
    In a few years time I think people buying a second-hand '08 car will be conscious of whether they're buying a pre or post-July car - especially in terms of road tax.

I thought all Jan-June cars were given a dispensation and could choose between CO2 or CC based road tax?

I DO think owners of '07 diesels that have shed x000s off the list price have to be particularly peeved. Who's gonna want a 07 diesel when a 08 model, as well as being a year younger is a fraction of the cost to tax?

For the guy trading like-for-like from a 07 to a 09 lets say it won't be too bad - his car will have experirenced 'negative equity' but the new model is so much cheaper it'll all balance out.

But anyone caught in this recession we're supposed to be having and needing to sell their 07, trade-down, etc. - they've been <SNIP> (EDIT something along the lines of hard done by)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

pburns wrote: »
    I thought all Jan-June cars were given a dispensation and could choose between CO2 or CC based road tax?

I'm more thinking of the cars that are €590 now and €2,000 post-July. In that case I'll be VERY interested in whether it's a pre or post-July car... The pre-July car will be significantly more re-sellable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

how long do you think our grasping government will run the two(annual) tax streams side by side. Pre July 08 and post. The uk has already announced it is going to level the field thus trapping drivers with older petrol, high co2 cars.

Think all those new diesel cars will be sold and more tax revenue, they must be salivating. I generally have driven old big engined smokers so I am worried about this.

Advertisement