Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics: a question about Experiments

Options
  • 15-06-2008 1:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

How do you find the slope of a graph? Do u just take two points on the graph and put one over the other and divide?if not how do u do it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭hippety-pippety

to get the slope you take a value on the y-axis and put it over the corresponding value on the x-axis
    like in maths: m= (Y2-Y1)/(X2 - X1), and in physics you only need one y-value & one x-value so the slope = y/x

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭declan_lgs

slope is Y change over X change.

Most graphs are straight lines through the origin, therefore you know (0,0) is on the graph and can just pick a point that's on the line and put it's Y coord over its X coord.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 mike-gunners

to get the slope you take a value on the y-axis and put it over the corresponding value on the x-axis
    like in maths: m= (Y2-Y1)/(X2 - X1), and in physics you only need one y-value & one x-value so the slope = y/x
    thanks a million man.
    these are the expts that i learned off today:
    1. a <>< f
    2. g by free fall
    3. boyle's law
    4. specific latent heat of fusion of ice
    5. specific latent heat of vaporisation of water
    6. Calibration curve of a thermometer
    7. variation of frequency with length
    8. variation of frequency with tension
    9. variation of resistance of metallic conductor with temperature
    10.variarion of resistance of thermistor with temperature
    11.measure of resistivity of nichrome wire.

Do u think i m covered for the experiments or would u recommend other ones in addition with these?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

On a related topic, I tend to have trouble deciding which value goes on the X-axis and which goes on the Y-axis for experiments. Can anyone shed some light? For example, with Boyle's Law, which goes on the X-axis, P or 1/V ?

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

The Walsho wrote: »
    On a related topic, I tend to have trouble deciding which value goes on the X-axis and which goes on the Y-axis for experiments. Can anyone shed some light? For example, with Boyle's Law, which goes on the X-axis, P or 1/V ?

ye i always have trouble with that. usually if there's a 1/ something, i'd put that on the X axis. I don't think it matters which axis you put them on, you get the same shape. Usually current, temperature goes on the Y axis and time, voltage go on the X axis. I'm not sure about that but i'm pretty sure thats usually the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

Cheers Peleus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭salman85

THEY MUST BE ON THE LINE (some times a point you plot doesnt go through the line)

if u use that point ur slope will be diffrent

IT MUST BE ON THE LINE

and for axes

what u control goes on X what changes as a result goes on Y

remember f(x) is a function of X

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭A-Bit-Dodge

if u use y=mx for most of the equations for the experiments, you shouldnt go wrong...

Example
    : F=ma
    : y=mx

Force goes on y axis, acceleration goes on x axis.

R=V/I
    V=IR
    y=mx

Voltage goes on y axis, current goes on x axis...

Advertisement