Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

portfolio for architecture

Options
  • 15-06-2008 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭

Im going into 6th year at the moment and hope to continue into architecture or landscape architecture. The thing is i still haven't start5ed on a portfolio, can anyone give me a few tips on what it should contain and about how long I should spend on it.

I have heard that a couple of people a take year out to do the portfolio, would this be benificial?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

If you want to create a really good portfolio, then you should take a year out.

However, the interviewers in architecture are more interested about your knowledge of architecture, issues relating to it and your motivation for studying it. These topics will also come up on the aptitude test, where you'll have to write a little bit about why you want to study architecture, etc.

I haven't got through to the interview, but I know some people who have passed it with a mediocre portfolio. They had a lot of knowledge and focus to compensate for this though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭SmileyPaul

right then I'd better get studying up, and about how long did it take you to do yours (if youv done one)

Took me a couple of moths to do a portfolio, as I've started it since fifth year
    and did a little bit now and then.

One more tip: If you could show some interest in the use of technology in your designs, rather than creating purely sculptural pieces, you could go a long way. Aesthetics are important, but so is technology.

I am still new to this so is there any chance you could like write a list of suggestions of what i should put into it? :P

To be completely honest, I don't know what exactly do the interviewers want. If I could get through to portfolio review, then I would have a lot more tips.

You could go to http://www.archiseek.com/content/forumdisplay.php?f=17 for any queries, as there are many people in that forum who are studying architecture and even some practising architects.

However, here's what you definitely should put down:
    -your favourite building, photographs and/or sketches of it and prepare a little speech where you'll have to explain its features and why you like it.

-a sculpture or a construction, where you'll have to demonstrate your interest in BASIC structural engineering. It has to have some degree of complexity.

-visit www.core77.com
    This is a website where you can get a lot of insight into architecture and design, and also inspiration.

Hope this helps :D

• Advertisement

alright deadly! thanks a lot mate

Advertisement