Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving over in September, where to meet friendly 30 somethings?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

When did I compare to Dublin or Donegal?

You didn't, but I made the point that Galway is better than those places for some things, or worse for reasons of scale.
    How many dedicated bus routes do we have that can avoid all the traffic?

My route doesn't avoid the traffic, yep there are bus lanes but you do hit traffic in a few places. Mad Max drivers always seem to get you there in time though...
    I'm sure there is but the state of some places in Galway in fairness....half thought out projects.

Examples?

Or London where it's better.... ;)

She's already in London, and she wants to come to Galway cos she likes it better. Besides, your better place is another person's nightmare. 8 million people, concrete for 50 miles, 2 hours to get to the countryside or the coast, thats my idea of hell.

I can be positive aswell but some people seem to love painting the lovely picture when somebody is actually looking for the realities.

The reality is the vast majority of people in Galway love living here for the great quality of life it offers. I've lived in Dublin, Cork and Donegal before and can vouch for that. All your negatives are minor irritants for most people here, more than counterbalanced by all the great things about living here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

Zzippy wrote: »
    The reality is the vast majority of people in Galway love living here for the great quality of life it offers. I've lived in Dublin, Cork and Donegal before and can vouch for that. All your negatives are minor irritants for most people here, more than counterbalanced by all the great things about living here.

Maybe or maybe not.

Why don't you just write out all the great things about Galway then if it's so fantastic rather than attacking my post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

Galway is ok, not great really. I'll be glad to be leaving it in a few weeks after 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Maybe or maybe not.

Why don't you just write out all the great things about Galway then if it's so fantastic rather than attacking my post.

This is a forum for debate mate, if someone disagrees with something you post don't take it as an attack. I was just pointing out that your negatives were pretty small.
    As to a list of whats great, well where to start, as its different for every single person?
    Just a small few of mine would be:
    Proximity to the sea, Salthill, the prom, Silver Strand, beach fishing
    Proximity to Lough Corrib, boating and fishing, fishing the rivers and lakes in Connemara, places other people plan their holidays to come to.
    The nightlife, relaxed and friendly people, live gigs in the Roisin, the Arts Festival, Race Week, the vibrant atmosphere, the young population.
    Short drives to other beautiful places like the Burren, the Connemara coast, Mayo, yet still only 3 hours from the big smoke.
    An airport that is 10 minutes drive from home and you don't have to check in 3 hours beforehand or worry about radar breakdowns causing 10 hour backlogs.
    That's just a few, but they far outweigh any drawbacks like the ones you mentioned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

Zzippy wrote: »
    This is a forum for debate mate, if someone disagrees with something you post don't take it as an attack. I was just pointing out that your negatives were pretty small.
    As to a list of whats great, well where to start, as its different for every single person?
    Just a small few of mine would be:
    Proximity to the sea, Salthill, the prom, Silver Strand, beach fishing
    Proximity to Lough Corrib, boating and fishing, fishing the rivers and lakes in Connemara, places other people plan their holidays to come to.
    The nightlife, relaxed and friendly people, live gigs in the Roisin, the Arts Festival, Race Week, the vibrant atmosphere, the young population.
    Short drives to other beautiful places like the Burren, the Connemara coast, Mayo, yet still only 3 hours from the big smoke.
    An airport that is 10 minutes drive from home and you don't have to check in 3 hours beforehand or worry about radar breakdowns causing 10 hour backlogs.
    That's just a few, but they far outweigh any drawbacks like the ones you mentioned

I could debate my points till the cows come home tbh. You even admit that some of them have foundation....

So what do you want to debate then?

Tbh most of the things you mentioned don't appeal to me so much but yeah there still valid for some people.

As for the airport...well there's only a handful of routes.

I could digress into the utter mayhem of galway during the races, traffic, overcrowding, noise pollution from helicopters that carry most of the knobs out. And oh yeah "knobs".

It's all down to opinion and personal preference.

I painted my picture and now you've painted yours. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I've lived in lots of countries and counties for that matter, but I still keep coming back to Galway the place that I was reared. I have now been settled back here for the past 5 years and would not change it for the world. Zzippy has listed a lot of what is good about Galway, but let me add a few bits more.
    1. Soft weather, we all complain about the rain, but at least we get no extremes of hot or cold. Waking up on a hot summers day in Spain with a hangover is the pits.
    2. Some good pubs with a healthy trad music scene, as shown bty the recent Galway sessions 2008.
    3. Great colleges, students flock to Galway.
    4. Rural life just on your doorstep, if you felt like it you could walk out to the country, try that in London.
    5. Generally easy going attitude amongst the certain group of people who are not wrapped up in creating their own "sex and the city" or "Wall street" like life here in Galway.
    6. Crime is low.

Basically if you are not afraid to put up with a bit of slackness then Galway is for you. Your slackness will be forgiven in return. If you are uptight or whinge about why everything in Galway is not like Tokyo, New York, Los Angeles, Paris or London, just ask yourself do you want their disadvantages as well as their benefits. Because no matter what happens some negatives will arrive with some positives.

As they say out the country, "Take it handy".
    Now will somebody buy workaccounts stove, so that he can buy a ticket out of Galway.

Advertisement