Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

M1330 Laptop screen broken with pics, suggestions please.

• 15-06-2008 2:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

My housemate sat on my laptop this morning and forced the screen backwards to be flat with the keyboard.

The screen model is :13.3" WXGA (1280X800) WHITE-LED DISPLAY

Causing the following damage in the attached jpg's.

Has anybody an idea of the cost involved of replacing the screen with dell or an alternative way of fixing it.

It was bought in January of this year and is still in warranty but I presume it does not cover accidental damage.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I've heard the xps support can be quite sound in these kind of circumstances, so i'd chance it. Other than that it doesn't look too good, parts could be expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Godot666

If dell are to dear you could try this guy, he has an ebay shop and i replaced a laptop screen for a friend and bought it from him, saved about 350 euro.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/notebookbitz

best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Ouch. I hope your flatmate is going to pay for it :(

Its probably going to cost at least 300 euros. There's not a lot of labour involved, so an engineer will probably just do a call-out and fit a whole new screen section. That's what you'll be paying for mostly.

Im just guessing, so your best idea of price is by ringing dell. Dell are your best option - there are aftermarket screen suppliers, but you've broken a hinge, possibly damaged the LED-backlight section etc. Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭iPoker

Ouch. I hope your flatmate is going to pay for it :(

Its probably going to cost at least 300 euros. There's not a lot of labour involved, so an engineer will probably just do a call-out and fit a whole new screen section. That's what you'll be paying for mostly.

Im just guessing, so your best idea of price is by ringing dell. Dell are your best option - there are aftermarket screen suppliers, but you've broken a hinge, possibly damaged the LED-backlight section etc. Best of luck.

I hope your flatmate isn't being blamed for something that's not his/her fault if it was left somewhere stupid that it was an innocent accident on his/her behalf.....anyway, to re-iterate, the hinge may cause problems...try zianinternational. on ebay, and has a store in kimmage. could get a screen for maybe 160-200, but the hinge is possibly a prob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Stimulant

Thanks for the advice all.

Yes he will be expected to pay for it. (Id sooner if I had loads of money but I dont)
    He tripped up himself nothing to do with the laptop and landed straight on it.
    It was an accident but you still have to pay for accidents.
    I know some people will not agree with this and that’s fair enough but in this situation he will be paying and I do not want to get into a debate on this.

From the prices ye are quoting it looks like I will not have it back to its original condition. So I am looking to the cheapest fix to basically get rid of these multicoloured lines. He does not have 300+ euros to be giving and I am the same.

The snapped hinge has not caused any damage (no wires cut) to the working of the laptop and can be fixed I think by glue.

The multi coloured lines are due to the pressure applied on the screen when he fell on it and a new screen is needed.
    Fixing it myself is not a problem with a guide.
    Is it possible just to buy the screen and no case?

What I have done so far is ring up dell support and they are sending out an engineer on Tuesday. They said it was free and did not ask how it happened so ill see how that goes.

• Advertisement

Stimulant wrote: »
    Is it possible just to buy the screen and no case?
    Its an LED-backlit screen. The standard CCFL screens that can be bought aftermarket are thicker, they simply won't fit into the lid. I havent looked, but I doubt its easy (or even possible) to find the correct LED screen from an aftermarket supplier.

Just see how it goes with Dell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭Jackovarian

ok,
    if your going to have to replace it anyways try this

get service manual for the lappy,
    or just learn as you go, take the screen section off. generally involves a few screws near the hinge on the main body of the machine also,

your flatmate most likely did mess up the screen, but for the sake of all that money, try plugging out the screen cable from the back of the display, gently. do not touch the back of the screen if at all possible. be very gentle. especially with a screwdriver in your hand. make sure none of the connectors are bent or off shape. the resit it in the back of the screen. try not to disconnect it from the motherboard as you will need to do some tests before you close it back up. if that worked your fine (except for the crack, and in my experience, a bit of hardcore superglue and a few minutes set time works just fine)

if that didnt work, and you still want to try what im gonna say, then do so at your own peril. it may totally diable your screen and or laptop. (but maybe not the laptop thats an extreme case)

unplug all, and battery,
    there should be a plastic cover at the back of the screen that says do not touch or handle.

now, the side of the screen thats displaying weirdly is paramount to this, on the side thats displaying weirdly give a tiny bit of backwards pressure as opposed to the pressure what it may have been subjected to by your flatmate. but think of it as holding an egg. you do not want to put any real pressure on it. its very light.
    you may wish to do some tests before hand with the screen intact, but putting some pressure near the top back of the screen in the damnaged area.

hope the first things works though. the rest has a one in a million chance of working as once those screen connectors are moved your screwed.

ASK A PROFESSIONAL FIRST THOUGH!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Stimulant

Thanks again for all the advice.

Here is the best possible update.

Dell support engineer paid a visit.
    He replaced the screen and said it was a technical fault ;)

Apparently I was not asked too many questions on the phone because they are actualy having technical problems at the moment with the screens.

If I had explained myself properly on the phone and what did happen, I would of paid for it. So I was lucky.

Ill buy glue to fix the hinge and it will be as good as new.

I gave him a bit of money as well as a thank you, keep nice people happy!:D

Stimulant wrote: »
    I gave him a bit of money as well as a thank you, keep nice people happy!:D

LOL!:D Nicely done, glad it worked out for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Hi OP.

The multi Colored lines on the screen might only be a loose connection from the incident, it is possible the screen is still salvageable. As for the outter casing that will need to be replaced: I dont see any reason why dell wouldnt send you out one. it should be cheap enough.

But in order to make some field repairs to your machine and find out just how bad it is, you will need to get a few precision screwdrivers and read your M1330 User Manual: which includes detailed instructions with illustrations on how to disassemble your Screen: Dell XPS M1330 Service Manual.pdf

• Advertisement
Advertisement