Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aquagenic Pruritis??

Options
  • 15-06-2008 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭

Never heard of it??me neither but i think i have it
    I used to suffer from terrible itching after showers and once after getting out of a swiming pool..and i mean terrible..there be no rash(except the redness from me scratching...i googled it and found this Aquagenic Pruritis..now i would like to think i have this "Disease" but its similar..it didnt happend recently except for today randomly came back..Anyone else have this problem....

sorry if this in the wrong forum too

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Moved from PI

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭xeroshero

YES, YES, YES!!!!! :rolleyes:

I have this and my god the torture!!!! And the mad looks I get when I mention it to people. Its systematic (think it kinda depends on the time of year, it seems to be worse for mt towards the end of the summer/year - when my tan starts to fade) I get it after havinga shower, my legs can just go CRAZY, I have to warn my Bf (and everyone else) to stay clear!!! I find that if I hold the shower head over the legs at the very end of the shower an drun cold water over them,it seems to stop/minimise the itch kicking in!!! It doesn't have to be freezing cold water, just notabley colder than your regular shower temp....

I sometime get it if using air conditioning in a car, or if I get cold suddenly, it can kick in then too (I have a bit of a cold intolerance nayway so...) Its often linked to hypothriodism (you ever been tested for that or had any syptoms? Don't know how much more I can say about that here?) :o

I posted about this on the VHI website, you should have a look, it got loads of responses from people all over the world! That appears to have flopped now though (the discussion board) but the cast majprity (including myself) never actually got diagnosed by a doc. Most docs hadn't even heard of it! You are not alone! Its very frustrating.

Something else that I found helps if the itching has started *itSO good to scratch for that split second!) but if you use a hairdryer and aim it directly at your elgs, it soothes them, I guess kinda like scratching without irritating as much! Also, I shower in a "sealed" room, as it I keep all windows etc closed, I THINK the itch may be set off from the change in temp, from being ubder the hot water to stepping out into the cool air... (By using the cold water on your kegs, you quickly cool them not allowing the change to kick in slowly and therefore irritate!) ;)

its all speculating reallly, I only thing I do know for a fcat it that it is SO unpleasant and nobody knows what it slike unless they have it!!! My Dad has it too so I get some sympathy, while my mam can't imagine what it is like!!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

After suffering from this for years and years, I decided to google it today. I cant believe, and yet I am relieved, that there is actually a diagnosis for this condition. I've always suspected that my husband, although sympathetic, probably thinks it's a neurological/mental disorder since there is really no visable symtoms. For me, it noteably comes on very intensely when I have a fading or sluffing tan. Like after a warm weather vacation or the end of summer. The better the tan, the worse the itching while it fades away. This could be weeks of insane itching after every shower or leg shave. If I were not self-employed, I'd have been fired by now for not showing up for work in time due to dealing with the crazy, pins and needle itching that can last for up to an hour. One time while in Nevada, I was attacked by a patch of tiny fire ants that had unknowingly crawled onto my leg. I have compared the symtoms of aquagenic pruritus to that one horrific event. It's hard to describe to those who have not experienced it. I have recently found some relief in a couple products made by EUCERIN. Although I have never used soap on my skin; only armpits and crotch, I have been using Eucerin Calming Body Wash for those times when I want to shave my legs. Also, I bought the Eucerin Calming Itch Relief Treatment for after the shower and it does help for me. I wish you all good luck in dealing with this strange condition. I am definately going to talk to an internist about this soon as I have also read today that this condition could be a symptom of other, more serious illness.

Advertisement