Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics Experiments

Options
  • 15-06-2008 2:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

these are the expts that i learned off today:
    1. a <>< f
    2. g by free fall
    3. boyle's law
    4. specific latent heat of fusion of ice
    5. specific latent heat of vaporisation of water
    6. Calibration curve of a thermometer
    7. variation of frequency with length
    8. variation of frequency with tension
    9. variation of resistance of metallic conductor with temperature
    10.variarion of resistance of thermistor with temperature
    11.measure of resistivity of nichrome wire.

Do u think i m covered for the experiments or would u recommend other ones in addition with these?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Calorimeterman

No-one can really say whether or not this will be enough...

All that appears to be guaranteed is one question on mechanics and one question on electronics and the other two being a mixture of the heat, sound + light ones.

There's no other evident pattern than this and the examiners might have been in a funny mood back in October so I'm studying all the experiments except from the electricity ones.

It's not like you need an excessive amount of detail for them anyway, the experiments are really 30% guaranteed...

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭pocket aces

praying that measuring the wavelength of monochromatic light and measuring g due to freefall dont come up!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭HELLO132

How do you actually learn off experiments? Do you learn each step word for word or do you just have a general idea of how to do them

General idea:
    1. Basic theory
    2. Basic method
    3. And formulae that need to be used
    4. What any graph should look like (inc. wat to label each axis)
    5. Accuracy stuff

That's all you'll need to know for any experiment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 mike-gunners

also know 3 to 4 precautions for each experiments

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Decerto

anyone have a list of general precautions, i know there easy to make up but id rather not waste time doing it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭The LeavyC

error of parallax if you're measuring distances..

Use bigger values for smaller % errors. works for most of them also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

You'd hardly have to learn 4 precautions for every single experiment would you??I've never seen a question asking for that many.In fairness the experiment Q's in physics are pretty easy.Nowhere near as much detail required as , say chemistry.My usuall strategy is to only do the electricity one as a last resort.Thats usually the hardest one iMO.BTW, anyone else think that capacitance is a good possibility for on of the electricity long Q's

Cant wait for this time tomorrow.I'm finished the LC at 5 after TG P2.Bring it on!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭kirving

How important is it to include the formula when doing an experiment?

Usually, I just give the equipment needed, method, results and conclusion. Leaving out graphs and formula. Is that OK?!

How important is it to include the formula when doing an experiment?

Usually, I just give the equipment needed, method, results and conclusion. Leaving out graphs and formula. Is that OK?!
    ?!

No, it's not really ok to be leaving out calculations and graphs!!

Generally they make up half the question! Easy marks wasted if you don't consider doing them, in fact they never really ask stuff on the actual method, just know what it looks like (diagram wise)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭A-Bit-Dodge

for the precautions, if you're using the "hi-tech gear" as my teacher calls it, make sure you have Calibrate the motion/pressure sensor and of course, for the linear air track exp's;, DUST!!! always dust the track...:D :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭kirving

Right! I should be grand. I mean to include diagrams in the other post. Good luck tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 dshalloo

Zonda999 wrote: »

Cant wait for this time tomorrow.I'm finished the LC at 5 after TG P2.Bring it on!!!!!

Me too! Must be a cork thing ;)

Advertisement