Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Confusion with licence application, please help

Options
  • 15-06-2008 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

Okay I've never been behind the wheel of a car, basically I want to start driving. So I've done some research and have been told I need to apply for my provisional license before I take the theory test however on the www.dtts.ie website and apparently it says that you need to pass the theory test before you can apply for the provisional. However when applying for the provisional test it asks for a driving license number which would indicate you need some other license before it or something.

I'm confused, how does it work, what are the steps, once I study the handbook do I then apply for the theory test, then on completion do they assign me a driving license number, and then I can apply for the provisional? After that do I apply for the driving test or how is that working, sorry to bother you all, just trying to make some clarity.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,902 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You must be trying to apply for a driving test (drivingtest.ie) - the DTTS website does not require a driving licence number! It does need a PPS number, though.

You do the DT test, then apply for a learners permit (there are no provisionals anymore).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Eh dont you simplely pass your theory to get your provisional??thats what i thought..im more than likely wrong though

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭trevorku

Are you serious theres no more provisionals? I'm so behind the times, thanks for that. I was just confused with so much information on there. Thanks though for your help. The handbook is a daunting thing to learn in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,902 ✭✭✭✭L1011

trevorku wrote: »
    Are you serious theres no more provisionals? I'm so behind the times, thanks for that. I was just confused with so much information on there. Thanks though for your help. The handbook is a daunting thing to learn in my opinion.

Not been provisionals issued since October 07. Permit is much the same except with extra restrictions...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Celtic07

Provisional licences are gone now yes..learnrer permits you must have a permit 6 months before you can apply for a test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Celtic07 wrote: »
    Provisional licences are gone now
    Those issued before October are still there. ;)
    Celtic07 wrote:
    you must have a permit 6 months before you can apply for a test
    That is a common misconception.

A person on a 1st Learner Permit in categories A, A1, M, B and W must have held the Learner Permit for at least 6 months on the day of the test. They may apply anytime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Bosco84

Hi,

Slightly unsure as to what is my next step.

Here's the story. I passed the Driver Theory Test lately.
    Do I now look for a driver permit as mentioned above?

CAn I get this form from the guards or do I have to go to my local authority?

Is there anymore tests that I have to complete prior to getting my Provisional (in 6 months)??

What is ADI part 1? Is this another compulsory exam that you have to do?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

Once you pass your theory test you have to send the certificate off with a form (which you get from the garda station) the fee, and your passport photos. The learners permit should come within a few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Bosco84

Thanks for the quick reply.

Just wondering though, what will the permit allow me to do? What is the difference between it and the provisional?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Bosco84 wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick reply.

Just wondering though, what will the permit allow me to do? What is the difference between it and the provisional?
    It's basically the same as the old Provisional Licence with a new name.
    Bosco84 wrote:
    What is ADI part 1? Is this another compulsory exam that you have to do?
    Unless you also wish to become an instructor! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

you get to get the form that says lerner permit, your not looking for the full driving licence which is another form all together. when you do pass your full test and are aplying for the full license you put down the number off your lerner permit licence

Advertisement