Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Value of Irish Fisheries

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

meglome wrote: »
    The EU are the ones that brought in the quotas to stop over-fishing.
    What I was alluding to was that the "quotas" were short term political compromises and not in the long term interest of the fish or fisheries.

The truth is that our seas are vastly overfished regardless of whose figures you pick, and the future value of fishing will be rather smalle than we'd like. We've got big boats off the cost of Africa. Fishing boats are more efficient and more automated than ever before. You can't keep X jobs in an industry when a handful of the largest boats are quite capable of landing the countries quota fo fish with a tiny fraction of the crew

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

What I was alluding to was that the "quotas" were short term political compromises and not in the long term interest of the fish or fisheries.

The truth is that our seas are vastly overfished regardless of whose figures you pick, and the future value of fishing will be rather smalle than we'd like. We've got big boats off the cost of Africa. Fishing boats are more efficient and more automated than ever before. You can't keep X jobs in an industry when a handful of the largest boats are quite capable of landing the countries quota fo fish with a tiny fraction of the crew

That's true - Atlantic Dawn (now in the Dutch fleet, as far as I know) had 5% of Ireland's quota. That's what drives the small fishermen out of business - but it has nothing to do with the existence of quotas, or the CFP.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Scofflaw wrote: »
    That's true - Atlantic Dawn (now in the Dutch fleet, as far as I know) had 5% of Ireland's quota. That's what drives the small fishermen out of business - but it has nothing to do with the existence of quotas, or the CFP.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Someone in fishing told me that some large boar got sold to dutch (i presume its the Dawn)

and their quota increased 3 fold or something

/

Advertisement